Bachmann 36-554 Query

Caber

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Bachmann class 37 'Pride of the Valleys' which has a 21 pin decoder slot and cab lighting. Am I right in thinking that the 'Bachmann 36-554 EZ Command Decoder' wouldn't let me control the cab lighting? I seem to remember cab lighting being function 8 but the decoder only has 3 functions..

If the 36-554 is not suitable, can anyone recommended any particular 21 pin decoder that would be suitable for my needs? I apologise if I've missed something obvious but I'm quite new to all this DCC stuff, I recently got back into the hobby after a 15 year break.

Thanks in advance!

• RMweb Gold

I Fitted the 36-554 to the class 37 32-782 (D6801 Green) and it works. Cab lighting works from F1 as mentioned above.

However please note the issues raised in thread "Problems fitting decoder to class 37" on this forum started by me recently.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/50818-Bachmann-class-37-decoder-fitting-problem/

It mentions several points you will need to consider about speed step settings and also raises the issue of problems with body removal affecting contacs to the lights.

All the best

Don

Thanks both for your help, I was able to fit the decoder and get everything working first try! guess I got lucky after reading about the problems that can crop up with the lighting. I've found most of my class 37's to be okay to work with, it's the Bachmann 47's that have given me the most grief so far with those annoying catches in the body shell, I feel like I'm going to snap the plastic every time I have to fit a decoder.

I think it was on this forum that I read a great idea someone had about making the decoder installations similar to inserting an SD memory card into the bottom of the chassis, would make things much easier! ah well, maybe one day.

Archived