Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

what would you model for your year of birth?

Hrmm, 1988... I think I'd model Coaville Shed (15E was its last shed code) during one of its famous open days, steam and diesel locomotives in attendance running special passenger trains as well as the thunder of the constant MGR trains feeding Drakelow.

Though speaking of nearby Coal Power Stations perhaps, more in keeping with my own themes and modelling ability I would instead do Castle Donnington Power Station, which was still sporting its two small steam tank locomotives way back in the year of my birth in 1988. Trains arriving hauled via a Class 58 would find themselves supplanted by two tiny tank locomotives, which had the job of feeding the station itself.

For 1986 I think it would have to be the Salisbury area. Class 50s with Mk2s on the Waterloo-Exeter runs, Class 33s on the Cardiff-Portsmouth (usually with a delightfully modellable rake of four or five Mk1s) and 'Thumpers' on the locals out to Basingstoke or Southampton.

• 3 weeks later...

I was born in December 1957, so in general modelling terms (since I'm a Physicist with a keen interest in Astronomy) I should model Sputnik, the first artificial satellite, launched by the Soviets in October 1957.

In railway terms......

Given that the rocket was hauled to the launch pad by what appear to be standard Soviet diesels Sputnik would be in railway terms. Presumably Star City had a complete railway network.

I can just remember Sputnik but for the date of my birth a few years before it would have to be one of the steam tramways that were still trundling around a few parts of the French countryside until the last of them, the Tramways de Correze, closed in 1959. Some lasted till a few years later as agricultural railways but the real thing was the Tacot/Tortillard/P'tit Train with its three trains a day- one of them mixed- and the others probably autorails (railcars) except on market days when the old carriages would be brought out to handle the crowds of rustic locals with their baskets, chickens and possibly other livestock .

Thought provoking stuff.

1970 so it would be a mix of blue and green diesels with pre TOPS numbers. Interestingly Middleton Railway had been run for 10 years then as a "preserved" railway. So could be tempted with small locos on goods trains. Steam was used when a diesel was not available.

for me 1979 so penistone station plenty of 76's or quarry junction barnsley lots of 56's 37's 31'sand anything else they could find to put on mgr's

• RMweb Gold

Having done a bit more delving I have come across the fascinating fact that in the month in which I came into the world only a single new loco. Swindon built, was added to Western stock (quite possibly in GW livery unless the painters were very quick off the mark but definitely in lined green if not GW lettering). Now there's a temptation.

Archived