Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

what would you model for your year of birth?

1973: Not a lot positive happening on BR - various closures, a couple of serious accidents and several strikes making the headlines...

But you do have the reopening between Gothland and Grosmont of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway, while over on the Isle of Man the 100th aniversary of the first section of the Steam Railway opening was celebrated by the first major railway enthusiasts' event on the island, so it would have to be one of those two...

• RMweb Gold

As I was born in the first summer holiday of nationalisation, the works were a bit quiet. I would have gone for LMS steam, but they only turned out a few tanks and Black 5s that month, so for them it would have to be either the "Twin" 10001, just over a month older than me or 46257 'City of Salford' shortly before that.

On other regions the choice of notable engines a bit better. For the Eastern it would be A1 Pacific 60114 'WP Allen', the only one I recall seeing at Birmingham New St, the Southern would be BoB 34080 '74 Squadron', which I travelled behind in Devon, but the ultimate would probably have to be 7017 'GJ Churchward'. For me the single chimney 'Castle' was one of the finest looking locomotives of all.

In 1946 Platform 1 at Grantham was the departure point for Lincoln High Street passing through some really lovely stations - Barkston or Honington would be ideal.

Then again it could be Caythorpe, Leadenham, Navenby, Harmston or Waddington...........

Bob

• RMweb Premium

I was born in December 1957, so in general modelling terms (since I'm a Physicist with a keen interest in Astronomy) I should model Sputnik, the first artificial satellite, launched by the Soviets in October 1957.

In railway terms, pushing my birthday just into 1958, I would love a state-of-the-art class 40 (hopefully Bachmann may achieve this in 2012?), one of my favourite diesel classes. I think I'm right in saying that building these machines commenced in '58.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

1969. I think for me I'd end up with the same thing as one I'm interested in but later - Blue 33/1s and blue/grey 4TCs on the Bournemouth - Weymouth line. Apart from the TOPS numbering, it would be pretty much the same in 1985!

An end to end, maybe to commemorate my first rail journey and still in peace time. Suburban Southern Electric at one end, Southern Isle of Wight Steam at t'other.

A mixture of Maunsell (olive green) and Bulleid (malachite green) liveries; sadly I did not think to make notes!

• RMweb Premium

1829. Rainhill Trials. Some scratchbuilding involved.

Hi Paul (year of birth 1829),

Are you really that old - you warrant a place in the Guinness Book of Records!

Please accept my apologies if you have discovered the secret of eternal youth!

Best wishes,

Jeff.

• RMweb Premium

I own a model of 47 203 in two-tone green with full yellow ends, which was re-numbered from Bachmann's original version some years ago.

It first entered service as D1853 see www.class47.co.uk and was the only BR loco to enter service on that date.

Physicsman,

According to Rail Express, no. 40, Sept. 1999, "Rattle and roll years, 1958", D200 is cited as entering service on 14 Mar. 1958 and D208 was the last of the D200-209 series that entered service on 27 Aug. 1958.

• RMweb Premium

'71 - GN & GE Joint line with endless goods trains passing semaphores, the first ever train I saw was on that line when I was 6 months old and my Mum understood that I liked trains even then!

1977 - year the Westerns were withdrawn and the first HSTs appeared so possibly GWML (probably Cholsey as I volunteer there occasionally, and the Wallingford Branch was still in use for freight then).

Alternatively, one of the preservation centres I remember from my youth - either Steamtown or Dinting, both sadly now closed. For 1977, perhaps Dinting edges it as it had a Jubilee....

• RMweb Premium

It's got me going this thing now ...

I would have a spanking new class 47 D1853 fresh from works alongside one or more steam locos withdrawn on that exact date if recorded on http://www.brdatabase.info/ - a quick search found five from the LM Region and three from the ScR which fit that criteria.

I already own models of large prairie 4110 (withdrawn four days after I was born) and 5042 Winchester Castle (withdrawn the day before I was born) after searching for info on the net.

Therefore my diorama would feature D1853 standing alongside a run-down 4110 at Severn Tunnel Junction, or standing alongside withdrawn and nameless 5042 at Gloucester or Southall depots.

1958 I'm already doing it - last years of the Oerlikons and first full year of the Class 501's

XF

Similar to me...

1960 and my first Metrovic Bo Bo is making slow but steady progress. Just waiting for the first of the Dreadnought kits to appear.

• RMweb Gold

Would have to be a Class 58 in the original Rail Freight Red Stripe livery I think, not sure what else was being built in '84 but always had a soft spot for 58s

58016, 17 and 18 were built in October 84, though the Class 58 Loco Groups histories of each loco give 5th Oct as the date for 16, and only Oct for 17 and 18.

Actually quite tempted to have a model, given I have a Heljan loco in part finished Mainline grey that could be stripped down and resprayed into Red Stripe......

Useless for the layout, but would look good in the display case I plan on putting in the study once we've moved.....

• RMweb Premium

Would have to be a Class 58 in the original Rail Freight Red Stripe livery I think, not sure what else was being built in '84 but always had a soft spot for 58s

58016, 17 and 18 were built in October 84, though the Class 58 Loco Groups histories of each loco give 5th Oct as the date for 16, and only Oct for 17 and 18.

Actually quite tempted to have a model, given I have a Heljan loco in part finished Mainline grey that could be stripped down and resprayed into Red Stripe......

Useless for the layout, but would look good in the display case I plan on putting in the study once we've moved.....

Rail Express, no. 31, Dec. 1998 in their "Rattle and roll years" series that featured 1984, lists the following dates:

58016 - 5 Oct. 1984

58017 - 24 Oct. 1984

58018 - 30 Oct. 1984

Incidentally, no other new diesel or electric locos entered service that month. For the last two months of 1984, just two locos entered service: 56135 on 4 Nov. and 58021 on 17 Dec.

Only 56s and 58s entered service during the entire year.

Interesting reading (& remembering!) how few and far between new locos were in the early eighties, to hear about 5 class 58 coming on stream in Oct 1984 sounds unreal!

For me, mid-summers day 1965 - well, ideally a scene on the Wirksworth branch in Derbyshire as that was only a few miles from where I was being dragged up, a nice little freight only line that ferried plenty of stone away from the quarries up at Wirksworth but I haven't a clue what would be running around then.

Otherwise, probably a nice shiney new Alco burbling on say, the mighty Southern Pacific railroad!

Cheers,

John E.

Edited for spoonerist error!

Archived