Sodem Lane, comments and advice on new track plan please.

angell328

Hello all,

I have started but never finished several layouts in the past, the main reason being is that I have charged in without proper planning. I know what I want yet have never been able to get the thoughts from my head to reality on the boards! I'm sure many have been there in the past.

So this time I'm going to slow myself down and take more time over the planning stage, this will hopefully allow me to get where I want to be, playing trains and laying scenics!

Having seen the plan and several layouts based around Buxton TMD I liked what I saw. I can use about 90% of my stock with a few tweaks, with a nice amount of playablity and workings.

This is the plan I have come up with so far:

buxtoncloneedit1.jpg

As you can see I have the 3 line station and MPD as Buxton (with a few tweaks) and have added a rail served industry, most probably a steel road to rail transfer point.

The main station lines will be 3rd rail (possibly!) so I can use my southern EMU stock, or I will have the EMU's hauled by 33/1's.

What I would like is for you people out there to give me any advice on the layout so far. Things like signaling and catch point locations/types would be invaluable as signaling is a very weak point of mine!

Well over to you!

Thanks in advance

Matt

Cheers Gents,

Had another tinker about and come up with this

buxtoncloneedit3.jpg

Thanks for spending the time to help me tweak my plan. Hopefully once plan passes muster will be able to build and enjoy a layout without it ending up in the skip halfway through the build!

Cheers

Matt

I can't help but think the MPD arrangement is weird. I'd just make it a straight in without the kickback.. especially as the headshunt for the oil is SHORT!!! You might have to arrange the sidings in a slightly different order but you'll get everything in I'd say.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for spending the time to help me tweak my plan. Hopefully once plan passes muster will be able to build and enjoy a layout without it ending up in the skip halfway through the build!

Is your "gantry crane" a container facility or part of the maintenance for locos ?

You will need a trap point between the storage siding and the main line (assuming the distance drawn is representative, if its short then the siding could act as the trap, but I think you have enough room for an independent one in there)

Once the plan is finalised I will signal it for you.

hi,

Katier, yes the layout for the MPD is a bit bizarre, but as Beast has mentioned this at least is prototypically bizarre!! One of the reason I was drawn to Buxton is its oddness, the way its a bit back to front helps fill the middle ground of the board. To my mind helps ballance interest accross the area. The head shunt is short, but all that should be needing access to that line will be an 08 or 03 running with few TTA's.

Beast, The gantry crane will be used for off loaded steel from BBA's and BAA's to/from road lorries. Thanks for location of catch point. Am I right in thinking that the catch would face away from the main line, pushing wagons towards storage line if fouled?

Also for a signaling plan THANK YOU! (cant find a bowing down in groveling thanks emoticon!) Signling is probably my biggest week spot in this hobby. I know red and green, but when it comes to ground signals, locations, starters etc etc I just get lost. Been doing some reading on the threads here and starting to get a feel for it, but I think there is only so much knowledge my aching brain can hold!

Many Thanks

Matt

• RMweb Premium

There's a 2011 photo of the track diagram in Buxton signal box here.

What interested me was the access to the Hindlow and Great Rocks branches. It looks like a fair amount of reversing in the station area is necessary, which you might be able to represent on your layout without any additional track :)

• RMweb Gold

There's a 2011 photo of the track diagram in Buxton signal box here.

What interested me was the access to the Hindlow and Great Rocks branches. It looks like a fair amount of reversing in the station area is necessary, which you might be able to represent on your layout without any additional track :)

The reversing happened by the box, not in the station, in the sidings to the bottom right

hi,

Katier, yes the layout for the MPD is a bit bizarre, but as Beast has mentioned this at least is prototypically bizarre!! One of the reason I was drawn to Buxton is its oddness, the way its a bit back to front helps fill the middle ground of the board. To my mind helps ballance interest accross the area. The head shunt is short, but all that should be needing access to that line will be an 08 or 03 running with few TTA's.

Any reason you haven't replicated the space issues at Buxton?

Looking at the overhead the headshunt is squashed ( I guess due to terrain) up against the station whereas your plan has a hole which invites the question as to 'why?'.

Hi all,

Sorry for not updating sooner, been having fun playing trains at Calne show today.

To answer your question Katier, the main reason is I'm not doing a carbon copy of Buxton. There is no road to rail loading point there, or a few other little parts I've put in. I've used Buxton as a starting point to get me the most out of the rolling stock I own and the maximum playablity.

The hole will be filled with something like a few portacabins/ platelayer hut etc. The majority of the buildings haven't been shown on the layout plan yet, keeps focus on the track and stops my mind from wandering!

Hopefully I should have the final plan posted tonight, few last tweaks to do.

cheers

Matt

Hi all,

As promised this is what I am calling the final edit (until the next one!) Had to fiddle with a few bit to take into account base board joins, but I think I'm there. Comments and questions welcome.

buxtonclonefinaledit.jpg

Cheers

Matt

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Just back from my Penguin tour of the Falkland Islands and had plenty of time down there to tweak my plan until I was happy with it. Just thought I would put it out for general viewing and suggestions to make sure there is nothing I have missed!

Sorry just realised uploaded the wrong picture!

buxtoncloneparcelssidingfinal_zpsef99c633.jpg

This is the correct one!

Cheers

Matt

• RMweb Premium

I can see the attraction of a parcels road, but the flow of the track around the depot connection now looks a bit forced and I'm not keen on the shed roads being exactly parallel to the backscene. You could perhaps improve the look by substituting a (medium) Y at the connection to the sidings as shown below and swinging the depot slightly to match. To be ultra-pedantic, there's also a bit of a kink in the parcels road your plan (as arrowed below) that'll presumably disappear when you actually lay the track, which will shift all the sidings an inch or two to the right.

post-6813-0-77705900-1355663766_thumb.gif

Not that I'm bragging but I did 1,245 days in the Falklands over 8 tours between 1993 and 2010, not that I was counting or anything either....

On the last tour I did, I had Anyrail on my netbook, passed many a hour doodling random plans!

Angus

Thanks for the comments peeps,

Done a bit of tweaking and think I have ironed out the kinks and forced placement issues. Unfortunatly I could only put a bit of rotation into the depot due to the limitations with the baseboards I have.

Here is the latest incarnation

buxtoncloneparcelssidingfinal_zps515df5d8.jpg

The catch point is still there, but unfortunatly there is no catch point template in my anyrail!

Falklands was a blast, second tour this time, was nice to go somewhere without sand for a change! Done a winter and a spring tour now, but there are only really two seasons down there winter, winter, summer, winter, and summer still sees a fair amount of snow!

Cheers

Matt

• RMweb Premium

That looks a lot better.

Unfortunatly I could only put a bit of rotation into the depot due to the limitations with the baseboards I have.

I don't think it needs to be much - just enough to avoid "parallel to the sky" syndrome.

Archived