Bachmanns lack of buffer beam pipework

Michael Delamar

I don't understand why Heljan in particular offer the pipework as an user fitted option but install the hook and chain by default. The presence of the chain prevents the use of the NEM coupler as gets in the way. On bends the side-to-side movement of the coupler attached to the bogie is blocked by the chain causing the bogie to derail. I have managed on some locos to fold the chain back into the hook but others this method hasn't worked and I have had to remove the chain altogether.

Because they got some of the fittings the wrong way round on the 24? Leave 'em off and you can't be wrong. Annoying I admit as they do seem to do such a good job on the recent DMUs. The shape seems to me to be just perfect. Bernard

Not what I needed to hear after fitting the pipes on my 24 :( How are they the wrong way round so I can try and sort it please!?

I am not very well versed in the terminology of such items.

If you look at the front of the loco the pipe that makes a horse shoe shape under the right buffer has the end fittings on the wrong ends.

The bottle shape should be on the outside. A good photo will show what I mean.

A blob of araldite might be a way of improving the look of things rather than a replacement part.

Bernard

Archived