Detailing Lima Parcels Vans

5Bel

• 4 months later...

Shows how much can be achieved with older models, time and effort! However, did any of the Newspaper Siphons run in this condition? I thought they were all the later BR build with the shutters and the majority of the top vents plated over, but I'd love to be proved wrong! I've done one, with the aid of the Blacksmiths etch, but covering up the vents was a faff. I've yet to change the bogies too. The only 9' ones I've seen were minus steps although one at Buckfastleigh is on 7' bogies.

• 4 years later...

I am reviving this thread because I have just discovered a Lima 4-wheel CCT at the bottom of a box in a cupboard, and would like to improve the glazing (amongst other details), but I cannot find anywhere which describes how to separate the body from the chassis. I can't see any obvious screws to undo.

I don't want to ruin the body by trying to prise it away from the chassis with a small screwdriver, if there is a fixing that I am unaware of. 

Might the van have been glued in those far off days? (this model probably dates from the 1980s).

• RMweb Gold

I am reviving this thread because I have just discovered a Lima 4-wheel CCT at the bottom of a box in a cupboard, and would like to improve the glazing (amongst other details), but I cannot find anywhere which describes how to separate the body from the chassis. I can't see any obvious screws to undo.

I don't want to ruin the body by trying to prise it away from the chassis with a small screwdriver, if there is a fixing that I am unaware of. 

Might the van have been glued in those far off days? (this model probably dates from the 1980s).

The underframe clips into the floor. 

The roof and glazing is a combined unit and is released by GENTLY pushing the windows inward. Cocktail sticks used in the usual way to stop it all reattaching.

Once that's out of the way the underframe clips are accessible from inside. 

I messed up two Lima underframes trying to fit 14mm wheels and when I did succeed, it didn't last long as there wasn't much strength left in it. What I eventually settled on was fitting a floor and solebars from the Parkside LNER CCT kit and re-using the Lima battery boxes etc. after cutting them out of the original underframe.

Only drawback is having to reinstate the solebar gussets (or ignore their absence as I did).. I couldn't work out a way to re-fit the Lima solebars as an overlay without them sticking out too far but it may be possible if you have enough patience.

Mine now withdrawn in favour of the Bachmann / Invicta CCT.

John

• RMweb Premium

Johnny, on your question, this has been considered before rather well on RMweb, because I have benefitted from it. But can I find the thread I remember?!

Just a quick Google search has turned up another thread I don't think I remember, but post 5 on the link here has a photo of the roof off, showing how the glazing is part of the roof moulding. Hope this helps!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88430-upgrading-a-lima-lms-guv/

John Storey

The underframe clips into the floor. 

The roof and glazing is a combined unit and is released by GENTLY pushing the windows inward. Cocktail sticks used in the usual way to stop it all reattaching.

Once that's out of the way the underframe clips are accessible from inside. 

John

Thanks John. 

I have managed it using a bit of gentle persuasion.  What a strange way of assembling a model, but I suppose it made sense to them at the time. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John. 

I have managed it using a bit of gentle persuasion.  What a strange way of assembling a model, but I suppose it made sense to them at the time. 

A very effective way of making a model out of very few parts and putting it together quickly with zero risk of distortion, but clearly not designed for the process to be easily reversed. :scratchhead:

I suppose it's the toymaker's priorities coming out; making it hard for young kids to dismantle. The Bachmann Junior locos exhibit similar traits - not a screw in sight and everything  held together with cleverly hidden clips requiring even more arcane tricks to open them up. 

Good luck with your mission, should you accept it...........  

John

Archived