Blue Circle Cement wagons

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I'm painting a couple of blue circle cement PCAs and was wondering if anyone knows the "correct" shade of grey for the tank bodies.

Here is a photo showing one of the wagons I'm interested in, and it's fairly clean:

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/P-Tops-codes/PCA-powder-carriers/16792684_r4GCdD#!i=1266962951&k=z5VwdDn&lb=1&s=A

In the absence of any better information I was thinking of using Rail Grey - thoughts?

cheers

Ben A.

I'd use whatever looks correct to your eye, even if you used the exact same paint as used on the real wagon it probably wouldn't look correct.

With photos the white balance of the digital camera or the type of film used will produce different colours, add into the mix the calibration of your monitor then you'll rarely find a picture which shows the wagon in its true colour. You also have the distance the image was taken from the subject (more air between the camera and the subject will make it lighter), the age of the paint on the wagon as well as weathering. So really there is no "correct" shade, so best bet is to use what looks correct to your eye.

I use Games Workshop paints so I'd recommend something like Codex Grey from that range.

Kindest Regards,

Jack

• 1 year later...

Good things come to those who wait ;)

I settled on Vallejo 70990 Light Grey in the end, although you could mix up something suitable from Tamiya XF19 and XF12, but ISTR that neither of those looked quite right on their own.

What level of detail are you aiming at on these wagons? I saw a photo of a cement train on Horseley Fields in the current Great Layouts magazine and it looks like the modeller has gone all the way with the TPM detailing kit. I'm glad this post has appeared as it answers one of the questions I was going to ask.

I am currently modelling 2 of these and intend going all the way with these, including new grab rails on the upper bodyside using violin E string. Once done, I intend to do up to 6 more of these and add some Metalair tanks to vary the consist if I wish. I will post pictures on here on my blog once the current 2 are painted.

Good luck!

• RMweb Gold

Hello Robbo Pete,

Yes, that's my rake on Horseley Fields.  I used the TPM detailing kit on the V-tanks.   The Farish metalair tanks are largely left as they were except they were renumbered so they're all different and weathered.

In the end I used rail grey with a tiny drop of yellow added and with the weathering I am pretty happy with the results.

cheers

Ben A.

Hello Robbo Pete,

Yes, that's my rake on Horseley Fields.  I used the TPM detailing kit on the V-tanks.   The Farish metalair tanks are largely left as they were except they were renumbered so they're all different and weathered.

In the end I used rail grey with a tiny drop of yellow added and with the weathering I am pretty happy with the results.

cheers

Ben A.

Hello Ben

Very nice they are, too. An inspiration to us all!

Regards,

Rob.

Archived