Sonning Cutting GW main line info

steve fay

Hi

Im looking for information on Sonning Cutting, Ive got loads of pictures but I would like to know the names of the bridges and in what order there in from Reading to London.

Also when did the semephores get replaced by Multiple aspect signalling?

Any links to close up pictures of the bridges would be greatfully received.

Thanks in advance.

The bridges are from Reading to Twyford; Bath road, warren road bridge, butts hill, Duffeild Road.

Wikepedia is up and running again after a black out.

Im looking for any pictures of the bridges so I know which ones which.

Edited by steve fay

• RMweb Gold

The signalling was modernised in Sonning Cutting in Fenruary 1961 when Woodley Bridge, Sonning Sidings, and Kennet Bridge signalnoxes were closed and continuous track circuiting with multiple aspect signals was provided between Reading Mainline East and Twyford West 'boxes. At Reading the new signalling basically commenced east of New Junction with a new Down Goods Loop between Sonning Sidings and Kennet Bridge and a ground frames at the east end of Sonning Sidings (without delving out the Notice I'm fairly sure that the connection at the west end of Sonning Sidings was motor worked.

A small Henry Williams/Integra NX panel was provided in Reading Mainline East 'box mounted vertically on 'stilts' at roughly the midpoint of the frame and this creating what was reputedly the only 'box on the Western with three completely different control systems - viz a large mechanical frame, an SGE miniature lever frame installed during the war to control the New Junction and loops towards Reading Spur (on the SR).

At Twyford West a new illuminated diagram was provided to replace the 1911 diagram (which, legally for the grand sum of 2/6d found its way into my possession) and only two down direction semaphores were removed (Down Main Home No 5 was replaced by a 4 aspect colour light TW 5 which also replaced the Down Main Starter) and at this stage the Down Relief Starter with lower arm Shunt Ahead was retained with the former Woodley Bridge Lower arm Distant becoming the repeater for the 3 aspect auto next in advance. At Reading there were no transition 'lower arm' colour lights and the repeaters for the colour light next in advance were all motor worked semaphores. All Main Line signals were 4 aspect and the Relief Lines were mainly 3 aspect with some 4 aspect.

Track Circuit Block working was introduced between Twyford West and Reading Mainline East with block bells - no train describers. The work was described as Stage 1 of Reading - Hayes Resignalling. As Stage 3 of the Reading - Hayes scheme a new signalbox was opened at Twyford in October 1961 replacing, immediately Twyford West, Twyford East, and Ruscombe - it had a frame of c.50 levers plus an Integra panel with magazine train describers (believed to be secondhand from somewhere on the SR) and this saw completion of colour light signalling on the Main and Relief Lines (although one semaphore signal remained until 1972) in the Twyford area plus the commissioning of the new (left hand) running junction at Lands End (nowadays called Twyford West to avoid confusing the modern generation) which, remarkably, was laid entirely in bullhead rail. Twyford 'box was closed as part of the Reading Eastern Extension scheme in March 1972 and that saw the final elimination of semaphore signals (on the branch and a wrong direction signal on the Down Relief) at Twyford - must find my pics of that sometime.

Interestingly, with one exception, all the 1961 signal structures from Stage 1 survive although most of the signal heads have been replaced over the last 18 months or so and of course the whole lot was transferred to control from the Thames Valley signalling centre at Didcot just over a year ago. The only original signal to have gone is TW5 at the west end of Twyford station on the Down Main - it became auto DM31 in October 1961 but in c.1968 it was resited east of Twyford station to improve sighting.

The most remarkable survivor is in the cutting just east of Woodley Bridge and is DM 32 - seen below in July 2011 (pic from the only Down Relief stopping HST of the day so not the best in the world) which still had its original original number plate and auto plate although all others in the area had been replaced well before then; the only difference from its 'as erected' 1961 condition is the changed telephone cabinet and I think it might also have gained a key operated replacement switch.

Hope this all helps a bit but n.b. these are my notes from original research and site knowledge and are reproduced here purely for information, the photo is also my original copyright.

post-6859-0-82190700-1327407001_thumb.jpg

Edit to add PS DM32 (and DR32 opposite it) were Reading's first signals on the Down lines until the eastward extension of Reading panel in 1972, Twyford's first signal on the Up were at the west end of the cutting (first on the URL was the one on the 'T' shaped bracket structure (alas dunno the number offhand) and first on the UML was either in the vicinity of Sonning Sidings 'box or back at Kennet Bridge.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 9 years later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 25/01/2012 at 06:29, Raffles said:

Bath Road bridge, more commonly known as "Suicide Bridge", is the very high one that nearly always features in pictures of that area.

A bit late bit isnt bath road the brick main road one nearest Reading whereas the more photographed ornate one is next up as you head towards london? I've cycled over it but cant remember where that road leads to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

A bit late bit isnt bath road the brick main road one nearest Reading whereas the more photographed ornate one is next up as you head towards london? I've cycled over it but cant remember where that road leads to.

You’re right. Bath Road, the westernmost crossing over Sonning Cutting, is actually two bridges side by side; a brick arch structure carrying the westbound A4 and a later concrete bridge carrying the eastbound. The more ornate bridge (Warren Road) is the next one to the east and sometimes known as “suicide bridge” or “spider bridge” although the only death there that I remember in my time on that patch was when a couple of “refreshed” lads opened the door on a London-bound HST and fell out. One survived, the other didn’t. The Reading area also had another “suicide bridge” near Cholsey, so named because of the proximity of Fairmile Psychiatric Hospital. 

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1