Great cartoon strip in the Gaurdian

Welly

• RMweb Premium

http://www.guardian....nti-terror-laws

Brilliant! Let's see what happens in the next few days!

Incidentally, for the first time ever in the UK, I got approached by a Fluorescent Jacket when I was snapping trains in Lincoln on Saturday!! He told me that I should,"seek permission to photograph trains"

It was only some hired-in security twerp for Xmas Market crowd control rather than a policeman or rail staff so I said cheerfully,"No one has ever told me this before!" then walked away and carried on snapping, out of FJ's sight!

• RMweb Gold

http://www.guardian....nti-terror-laws

Brilliant! Let's see what happens in the next few days!

Incidentally, for the first time ever in the UK, I got approached by a Fluorescent Jacket when I was snapping trains in Lincoln on Saturday!! He told me that I should,"seek permission to photograph trains"

It was only some hired-in security twerp for Xmas Market crowd control rather than a policeman or rail staff so I said cheerfully,"No one has ever told me this before!" then walked away and carried on snapping, out of FJ's sight!

Some while back there were a couple of these hired-in over jacketed characters standing by the footbridge steps at our local junction. As I walked past them off the steps one them said 'Can I see your ticket please?' to which I replied 'Oh, I didn't realise you were anything to do with the railway.'

They explained, quite courteously, that they were there to carry out a ticket check and they were wearing what looked like genuine badges on their fluorescent coats so I showed them my ticket and they said 'thank you' while looking fairly puzzled (I doubt they had seen one like it before).

An unfortunate trait of the privetised railway seems to be occasional appearances by these hirees who all too often don't seem to have got very much of an idea what they are doing.

I've forgotten where I read a discussion about Steve's trains and the obvious Class 37ness of them very recently.

Short term memory may be a problem but I am old enough to remember admiring his trains in the IF strip back in 1982 when Geoffrey Howe had his trousers nicked whilst on the ECML. You couldn't make it up!

Steve Bell's IF... the APT were the Labour Party was a classic - the leading half of the train leaning to the right and the remainder to the left (or viceversa - there may have been a layer of politically subtlety that was lost on me)

Archived