Upbech St Mary, Upbech Drove and Pott Row a journey through 00 and then into EM and 009.

mullie

Thank you for the kind comments.

The layout runs down one side of the garage which has to be shared with the car at night. The left hand fiddle yard is the only bit with real legs as it is set up each time. Therefore, although the layout is sectional for maintenance and in the event of a house move it is not designed for exhibitions though it is kind you think it worthy.

I think of the layout as an 'artists impression.'  All coaching stock is bashed from what is available until such time as I can find and build the correct kits at a suitable price or scratch build perhaps using a silhouette cutter or similar once purchased. I've also been looking at what is available as 3D prints, a range that is growing all the time. I will be building my first Comet chassis once the garage warms up as it is only just above freezing at the moment for much of the time, quite rare for here. If I can master chassis building this will allow me to develop the layout in a new direction and possibly push the time frame back to around 1948.

It is a fascinating time but research is challenging as because of where we live I am currently largely reliant on what is available on line. Also, film was expensive at the time so there seem to be relatively few photos of rural East Anglia during this period. I have quite a number of books and will continue to purchase as I can. I also plan to undertake some more serious research on first hand sources as time allows.

Bury St Edmunds and Stowmarket, both well known to me. We've nearly ended up living and working in Suffolk on more than one occasion but ended up moving from Essex to Dorset around twelve years ago. My surname is Mullender, a name associated with Suffolk, possibly of Dutch origin, and at one time the biggest concentration in the Uk could be found in Lowestoft.

• Like 1

More progress on the six wheelers.  Both are now more or less complete as I chose to make no alterations to the bodies. The chassis now have their third axles which simply float. Remaining work is to detail the roofs which have been altered and the intention is to have them in undercoat and the brown sides sprayed by the end of the weekend.

post-12773-0-43642300-1487181110_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-97643900-1487181134_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-75087500-1487181157_thumb.jpg

These really are 'artists impressions' but they will do for now and the wonky buffers in the first shot have been dealt with, it was late last night when I finished and I have no idea how that happened.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Lovely work, Mullie.

'Artists impressions' they may well be but a fine example of 'if it looks right.....'

Or, as a friend of mine used to say;

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck and walks like a duck.......it's a good chance, it's a duck...

Splendid stuff.

Rob.

Now the garage is getting warmer it is time to get things running again. The track has been thoroughly cleaned, couplings and back to backs checked and a major programme of wheel cleaning on the locos. I decided to revert to something I tried before. A cassette with a piece of wood and sponge cloth on the end simply using the right hand fiddle yard connections. The wheels are cleaned using a piece of jay cloth type material and IPA alcohol is dropped onto it which is really effective. One day this loco will become 34059 Sir Archibald Sinclair as running in East Anglia around 1950.

post-12773-0-04959400-1487532153_thumb.jpg

The photo below could soon be part of history. Even though these DMUs were introduced in 1954 it could soon be too modern for the intended time period. Once the six wheeled stock is ready it will replace this service, probably running as a mixed train. 

post-12773-0-21182400-1487532096_thumb.jpg

With this and the other 1960s stock I have currently running on Rickett Street, if I build some more modern wagons in the future, the layout could be run in mid 60s mode. Some stations were still gas lit and in LNER colours during this time, might just have to overlook the signage.

Edited by mullie
  • Like 8

G'day Gents

There was quite a lot of gas lit stations in and around Kings Cross until the mid 70's, when electrification swept it all away, and some of the lamp post at Kings Cross were still in LNER green into the 70's.

manna

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind comments.

The layout runs down one side of the garage which has to be shared with the car at night. The left hand fiddle yard is the only bit with real legs as it is set up each time. Therefore, although the layout is sectional for maintenance and in the event of a house move it is not designed for exhibitions though it is kind you think it worthy.

I think of the layout as an 'artists impression.'  All coaching stock is bashed from what is available until such time as I can find and build the correct kits at a suitable price or scratch build perhaps using a silhouette cutter or similar once purchased. I've also been looking at what is available as 3D prints, a range that is growing all the time. I will be building my first Comet chassis once the garage warms up as it is only just above freezing at the moment for much of the time, quite rare for here. If I can master chassis building this will allow me to develop the layout in a new direction and possibly push the time frame back to around 1948.

It is a fascinating time but research is challenging as because of where we live I am currently largely reliant on what is available on line. Also, film was expensive at the time so there seem to be relatively few photos of rural East Anglia during this period. I have quite a number of books and will continue to purchase as I can. I also plan to undertake some more serious research on first hand sources as time allows.

Bury St Edmunds and Stowmarket, both well known to me. We've nearly ended up living and working in Suffolk on more than one occasion but ended up moving from Essex to Dorset around twelve years ago. My surname is Mullender, a name associated with Suffolk, possibly of Dutch origin, and at one time the biggest concentration in the Uk could be found in Lowestoft.

Nice part of the world.  My in-laws lived near Stowmarket for many years - I will never forget my first visit when I took the afternoon off work to run down to Suffolk to ask for my wife's hand in marriage.  It was a surprise engagement (a long story, but, essentially, friends who eventually realise that they are rather more than that) - "keep the engine running" was my boss's advice.  I also have great affection for Bury St Edmunds.  We lived overseas, but my wife returned for her maternities, so both sprogs first saw the light of day in Bury.

• Like 1

I think I'm in the final stretch with the six wheelers, this is how they looked after application of basic body colours (still more to do), roof still not fixed as the interior and glazing needs to be added. Hopefully by the end of the week they will be in service on the layout and the DMU withdrawn. However, I do need some extra locos for an all steam service so better get building.

post-12773-0-24914800-1488229017_thumb.jpg

Still some work to do on the colouring, highlights etc as the colours are still a little lifeless

Edited by mullie
  • Like 10

Six wheel coaches close to being finished. Interior has been added and a few passengers as this will be a lightly used line that will probably close in a few years. The coaches have since been weighted, couplings added and the roofs will be fitted tonight.

post-12773-0-51444900-1488568611_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-41668500-1488568658_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Unusual sight, the project tea tray is empty, I took the opportunity to clean it and it will be filled with something early next week.

post-12773-0-51174000-1488647394_thumb.jpg

The lightweight DMU has been boxed up today and the layout is now completely steam operated. As stated previously I almost have the stock to run the layout in a post steam format though I would have to build some new wagons. The DMU has new destination blinds, passengers and buffer detail, I just never got round to weathering it. A project for the future.

post-12773-0-51251500-1488647430_thumb.jpg

Around two years ago the layout consisted of the excellent Scalescenes kits and largely rtr stock. This is how it looked today. Only the J15 and the brake van are not seriously modified and much is built from kits, the buildings are either kits or scratch built all based on GE prototypes. The six wheel coaches are running into the platform as a part of a mixed train.

post-12773-0-42904200-1488647636_thumb.jpg

What you see is over half the layout and has taken nine years to get to this point. Need to build a starter signal, I have the kit but haven't got round to building it.

• Like 10

After waiting around 18 months Ethel finally has a train to catch and unusually this one isn't mixed!

post-12773-0-51051600-1488830281_thumb.jpg

In most cases this will run as a mixed train as will those involving the six wheelers on the main line. Although a rural station there is still plenty going on to make it interesting to operate.

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Work and a garden shed have got in the way of modelling over the last few weeks. All I've managed to do is apply some colour to the Comet chassis and add some copper clad for the pick ups. All seems to still be running freely so hopefully will have it running soon.

post-12773-0-15431400-1491941325_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has slowed on the J65 lately as family matters have taken priority and a garden shed has needed to be removed and replaced, a job for two people which takes a lot longer when you do it solo! The layout has however been operated a few times and I thought it might be of interest to show how this relatively simple looking station actually has quite a complex operating pattern. This is the view looking towards Kings Lynn/south Lynn:

The J70 waiting for the arrival of the through train before departing, the clerestory coaches have arrived from the Dereham direction and been shunted into the loop. Really should have removed the shunting pole!

post-12773-0-34402700-1492888209_thumb.jpg

Next we look the other way and see a short row of empty sugar beet wagons waiting for collection. The six wheelers are in the platform with a J15 out of view on the front. There is no wagon load this morning which is unusual. The layout has around 40 wagons which is still not enough so more are under construction.

post-12773-0-61523400-1492888296_thumb.jpg

Next is the mpd. The Claud brought in the clerestories, the J70 is between duties on the branch and the 4f behind is awaiting the arrival of the next M&GN service. Ash and coal wagons are also present.

post-12773-0-81525100-1492888394_thumb.jpg

This is what they are waiting for, the arrival of the through train, totally improbable that such a loco would arrive at such a small station but a change from unrelenting black locos. Still awaiting renaming after around three years though I think this loco will end up getting replaced by something more appropriate. To be honest I'm not tempted by a B12 or B17 as they were still used on main line trains at this time and Pott row is not a likely place for them to turn up.

post-12773-0-61023700-1492888508_thumb.jpg

More to follow as to what happens next

• Like 8

Shunting continues:

The Claud comes off the mpd to remove the through coaches to the (off scene) carriage sidings.

post-12773-0-82656000-1492977353_thumb.jpg

The J15 returns with a mixed train.

post-12773-0-79656000-1492977473_thumb.jpg

The service seems quite busy today.

post-12773-0-48304900-1492977532_thumb.jpg

And finally an overview showing the J15 in the station, the tramway service has now left and another J70 is shunting wagons.

post-12773-0-75365700-1492977573_thumb.jpg

• Like 9