Mid-Sixties Fishguard Boat Train & Other West Wales Traffic

jjnewitt

• RMweb Gold

I always liked Neyland - the grand adventure as a port that eventually came to naught. But railwaywise it was probably the best of all the West Wales termini and unique I think in retaining not only separate arrival and departure platforms but having the engine shed (or rather most of it) between the incoming Down and outgoing Up lines, and just to add some sauce to the mix having the Up Main Line between the engine shed and the coal stage. But I'm talking an early '60s holiday when the only diesel seen west of Carmarthen was a dmu that ran to Pembroke Dock on a Sunday morning an scuttled back east in the afternoon.

And apart from a change from boat to train at Milford Haven (off a coastal cruise) my next visit wasn't until the late 1980s when I was looking at the potentialities and problems for planning the rail operations of a major coal import terminal - but that went much further up the Bristol Channel in the end.

Milford had an idiosyncratic layout as well, didn't it, Mike? The drawings I've seen suggest several end-on junctions to the Dock railway, and a very sinuous approach. I confess that, in my 18 years living in South-West Wales, I only took one trip west of Carmarthen by train. This would have been about 1963; it was on a Swindon Cross-Country unit with functioning buffet, and we saw an 03 shunter at Whitland (where the station had just been 'tarted-up', sorry, 'modernised'). Most of our trips west were when dad was pricing jobs at places like Brawdy, the hangar doors for the Sunderland at Pembroke Dock and so on, and so were in our trusty Standard Vanguard.

The Sunderland flying boat mentioned by Brian was owned by the Short Sunderland Trust, and I remember being allowed to crawl all the way through it, including up to the rear turret. It had obviously seen much better days, and was already showing signs of years of neglect and corrosion. Fortunately it's historical significance was recognised even back then and it was eventually dismantled and moved under cover. It survives today as part of the RAF Museum at Hendon, although today it is definitely look, but don't touch........so no chance of getting into the rear turret or up the staircase into the cockpit these days.

Well, if we're up for a little 'brinkmanship' I once sat in the passenger compartment of the last operational four engined flying boat in the world !!!

And yes, it was a Sunderland, by that time preserved .... http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircraftpages/sunderland.htm

I was amazed at how cramped it was compared to 'modern day' aircraft.

This little junket is forever in my mind, because it was on September 11th 2001.

I'm almose embarrassed to admit, it appears my experience of flying boats exceeds that of my experience of railways west of Carmarthen !

Brian R

Fnding all this very interesting. I moved to Pembrokeshire 18months ago (hardly being aware of the area before this - its a long way from Oxford where I grew up). One of the earlier posts said it was a beautiful area last time he visited... it still is!

Unfortunately not much in the way of railway modelling/exhibitions/shops in evidence.

Could any of you recommend "decent" books on the railways of the area? I have seen a few in local book shops but they don't seem to carry much detail. Most of the photos are close ups of locos and don't show too much of the surrounding land (buildings, trackwork, scenery, trackplans etc).

Fnding all this very interesting. I moved to Pembrokeshire 18months ago (hardly being aware of the area before this - its a long way from Oxford where I grew up). One of the earlier posts said it was a beautiful area last time he visited... it still is!

Unfortunately not much in the way of railway modelling/exhibitions/shops in evidence.

Could any of you recommend "decent" books on the railways of the area? I have seen a few in local book shops but they don't seem to carry much detail. Most of the photos are close ups of locos and don't show too much of the surrounding land (buildings, trackwork, scenery, trackplans etc).

It is a lovely part of the world- fond memories, both of childhood jaunts, and later, fieldwork for my geology A-level.

There are sections on the railways of the area in 'Forgotten Railways- Volume 8' by James Page, published by David and Charles, along with a volume of photos- 'British Railways Past and Present-Volume 38- West Wales' by Terry Gough.

'An Historical Survey of Selected Great Western Stations- Volume 2' by R H Clark has track plans of:-

Clynderwen, Fishguard and Goodwick, Fishguard Harbour, Haverfordwest, Milford Haven, Pembroke, Pembroke Dock and Tenby

Oakwood Press used to do a volume on the Saundersfoot Railway, but it doesn't seem to be in their list at present.

Thanks for the offer. I will sort something out in the future when I get some time off work and am not fixing things around the house.... having one of those times where everything is breaking down one after the other and needs fixing (shower, washing machine, car, kids computer.....)

• RMweb Premium

The Railways of Pembrokeshire by Richard Parker (Noodle Books) is excellent. I bought my copy in the bookshop in Tenby.

The same author also wrote "Neyland - A Great Western Outpost"

Hi Hymek2,

know exactly what you mean. Just had major major surgery on the central heating system with boiler replacement and repositioning. Chimney moved, heaters mover and reinstalled, electrics etc equals nightmare and it dam cold.

Got the Railways of Pembrokeshire book mentioned above and its very interesting with some fascinating facts down to drunken railway workers !!!!!

Think I got the Neyland book as well, will have to look.

• RMweb Gold

I always liked Neyland - the grand adventure as a port that eventually came to naught. But railwaywise it was probably the best of all the West Wales termini and unique I think in retaining not only separate arrival and departure platforms but having the engine shed (or rather most of it) between the incoming Down and outgoing Up lines, and just to add some sauce to the mix having the Up Main Line between the engine shed and the coal stage. But I'm talking an early '60s holiday when the only diesel seen west of Carmarthen was a dmu that ran to Pembroke Dock on a Sunday morning an scuttled back east in the afternoon.

Mike,

I recall a book I had some years ago called 'Behind the Steam'.

It was about a chap by the name of Bill Morgan who started his career as a cleaner at Neyland shed.

It was a fascinating insight about life as a cleaner and fireman operating out of Neyland, including the problems of wartime night working.

I think it has been re published recently

Regards

Richard

Brush class 47's (type 4's) did work west of Swansea; on holiday in Tenby in 1965 I saw one of Llandores working on a Pembroke Dock

passenger working with 5/6 Maroon mark 1 coaches. The (daily ?) pick up goods was in the hands of a green class 37, also from Landore.

The Pembroke goods trains were worked by Hymeks until their withdrawl from the area, only then did EE Type 3's take over, around 1970/1 IIRC. I think there were two goods trains a week Mon & Wed, reducing to Wed only from mid 1970s until all freight was withdrawn about 1977. The diagrams were from Carmarthen SP.

Tony

Archived