Leicester North Signal Box - former glass panel in roof

cary hill

I noticed today from a photograph that the former Leicester (Midland) North Signal Box appeared to have had in earlier times a glass section at one end of the hipped roof (filled in at the time of the photograph).

The purpose was apparently to assist the signalman in observing the correct operation of nearby signals.

There is a fairly tall complex bracket signal fairly hard up against this end of the box so I suppose this makes sense.

My questions are:

(1) If this glazed section was necessary at one time for operational reasons what changed to render it obsolete in later days.

(2) Are there many other examples of this arrangement, as it is not something I have noticed before.

Thanks in advance for any replies and enlightenment.

Typo edits

• RMweb Gold

1 - Either the signal was moved or repeaters were provided (a guess)

2 - Chester No.4 had a bracket signal attached to the side of the cabin, as far as I can remember no special glazing was provided for it, the crash as it cleared was enough !

Morcambe box also had a glass panel but its been gone a while now since the station was relocated.

That box is an interesting variation and it is also interesting that the glass panel seems to have survived for longer than the one at Leicester.

I suppose it may be a case of why go to the expense of roofing it over, as I can't see what it's purpose would have been at the time (British Rail era) of the photograph I found on the "Web" - no tall signals etc,.- presumably rationalised away.

I must have seen this signal box as I was billeted at Morecambe for a time whilst at Lancaster University and occasionally travelled by train from there.

Archived