Golden Eagle - Modelworks A4

wiltsrob

Morning all...

I have just seen the pictures of Peregrine on the forum and decided to post a couple from my loco... i have had her in steam and running at the bristol club .. there is footage of her on youtube if you search for modelworks A4....

I am still working on some of the wrinkles in the cylinders and timing department but she is looking like a really powerfull and quick engine..

post-14464-0-97152400-1328084793_thumb.jpg

post-14464-0-87457300-1328084685_thumb.jpg

post-14464-0-84989000-1328084814_thumb.jpg

Still an awfull lot of filling and filing to go before ill be happy with the result... but hay ho... its been 10 years, whats another year or so between freinds...

Robert

Hia..

Thats the one.... as you can hear from the soundtrack i only have distinctive beats from the centre cylinder.... still looking into why..

I have bought all the materials to remake the liners and the bobbins.... i have been told that they suffer the same problem as the 7.25 brits do..

they machined the cylinders from each end so there is a lip where the 2 bore holes dont quite line up and steam is passing the liner that way...

i am going to press out the liners this weekend and check this then run a reamer through the vaule bore just to make sure its round and parrallel prior to making the new liners over the next couple of weeks..

Robert

Morning All...

Todays plan is to start the cylinder rework and to continue with the cladding......... ( washout plugs and inspection holes )

Question Time....... I know that 60009 union of South Africa has hers painted green like the rest of her but i fancy leaving mine brass ...

Would they have all been painted or would some have been left brass ... was the paint scheme down to each indervidual shed where the loco was painted or was there a national set of rules??

Robert

Evening all..

I dont know how many here are members of the model engineeing clearing house forum so i will post my question here as well....

I am looking for a tripple ram lubricator for my loco because i have decided that it would be better to have 1 ram for each cylinder .. it also means if the tank has deviders in it i can see if an indervidual pump has failed..

does anyone know of a supplier??? I have emailed blackgates about buying rams and making my own but had no response from them

Robert

Phil

An interesting suggestion there about hydrostatic .... are they reliable??

From what i know about them ( which isnt a great deal ) wont i then need to provide a vaulve connecteed to the regulator to shut of steam when the reg shuts.

Robert

• RMweb Gold

Phil

An interesting suggestion there about hydrostatic .... are they reliable??

From what i know about them ( which isnt a great deal ) wont i then need to provide a vaulve connecteed to the regulator to shut of steam when the reg shuts.

Robert

We have / have had a few full size locos on the MHR with hydrostatic lub. - once set up they are pretty reliable. They have an independent steam supply not connected to the regulator, it doesn't matter if you forget to turn it off. The received wisdom on the MHR is to turn off the oil supply when we are stood at a station for any length of time, but, cough, we have been known to forget.

There's no reason to suppose that they will be less reliable in model form - the other thing of course is that I can't imagine you getting into superheat so you will be supplying relatively low pressure (100psi?) saturated steam to the cylinders which is somewhat more forgiving and less damaging than the drier sort, thus optimum cylinder lubrication is a tad less critical.

Phil..

Many Thanks for that .. i will look further into it....is there a size per cylinder area i should be aware of...

I have got superheaters fitted to her .. they are stainless 316 and are the tube inside a tube type running about 6" into the firebox....

I havnt got into checking temps and relative psi at the steamchest... it sounds like just adding to the complexities of getting the engine running...

Robert

Morning all ..

I have decided on how im going to sort the lubricators out ...

I am going to move the current one and fit a single ram unit next to it ...( this will give me 1 tank for outside cylinders and 1 for the centre )

Then modify them to the none clutch version and move the point on the motion where they are driven from ... should be the simples method .....

I am very intreaged about the hydorstatic lubs and might play with them on my dixi before fitting them to my A4...

Robert

Archived