Hi there im soon about to start fitting my class 40s with sound from howes swd zim olivias etc.

my questions are this, does anyone have a video showing the full range of sounds the swd makes i.e. full thrash as i cant find any that show more than subtle changes, also does the swd chip have notching functions.

also the zimo class 40 or digitrains class 40 will this be released with the multidrive functions like the 37 and 47.

i hope so cause the 37s set up is out of this world.

cheers rob

Hi there im soon about to start fitting my class 40s with sound from howes swd zim olivias etc.

my questions are this, does anyone have a video showing the full range of sounds the swd makes i.e. full thrash as i cant find any that show more than subtle changes, also does the swd chip have notching functions.

also the zimo class 40 or digitrains class 40 will this be released with the multidrive functions like the 37 and 47.

i hope so cause the 37s set up is out of this world.

cheers rob

Rob,

I'm glad you like the Zimo Mutli-Drive Class 37, there will be an enhanced version of this available from Digitrains by the end of this week.

There will be a Zimo Class 40 Multi-Drive available from Digitrains within the next two weeks, which will also have the enhanced functionality.

Paul

Rob,

I'm glad you like the Zimo Mutli-Drive Class 37, there will be an enhanced version of this available from Digitrains by the end of this week.

There will be a Zimo Class 40 Multi-Drive available from Digitrains within the next two weeks, which will also have the enhanced functionality.

Paul

hi paul oh yes i love it alright, i may well have to send of my older version to get reblown the same way, the only difference ive noticed with the set up is this, my 37254 has an older zimo mx640 with the original offering of the 37/0 and im not sure if it was fitted with 4 ohm or 8 ohm speakers ill have to check, but it has a bass enhanced under the fan and a bass reflex in the tanks and is hugely loud,

however 37506 i fitted with the new zimo644d fitted with 8 ohm bass reflex and bass enhanced in the same manner but is much quieter still perfectly audible but im worried if i have fitted the wrong type of speakers, both are wired black to black red to red to each terminal for the speakers.

the multidrive is fantastic and im so pleased that the 40 with be available in the same way as i have a few to fit sound to 7 out of 8 need sound.

(might take a while though) :)

so please tell me what is the "new enchancement" or are we just talking the addition of multidrive and im mixed up,

cheers rob

Rob,

Re your existing 37s. Can you read the CVs on your system? If so what are the values in CV 266?

The MX640 has a 1W amp and the newer MX644 a 3W amp. For comparison, ESU state LokV4.0 has 1.8W amp.

You need to connect paired 8ohm speakers in parallel (giving 4ohms overall). If they are in series, the load will be aggregated to 16ohms. This is not dangerous, but will reduce the output by about 6dB (I think). 3dB is the normal minimum discernable difference in volume for human hearing.

Do not connect two 4ohm speakers in parallel. The new load of 2ohm will blow your speakers, or your decoder's amp or all of them.

The other important thing is to connect the speakers 'in phase', which you have made reference to in your post. It's reasonable to expect black to black and red to red to achieve this, but the speakers may have been wired differently during manufacture. It would not make any difference to a single speaker installation. The internal connections are not visible to you in Bass Enhanced enclosures, so this is possible.

Out of phase normally affects the lower frequencies disproportionately.

You can test this by briefly putting the positive side of an old, used battery to the red speaker wire and noting if the speaker cone is moved out or in wards. Apply the same test to the red wire of the other speaker to check they move the same way. If not, you need to reverse the connections from one speaker.

Or, reverse the wires on one speaker and note if it's better or worse.

At the limits, your MX644 should be capable of more volume than the 640, but usually, they will be far too loud for most domestic environments. In reality, you should be able to get similar acceptable volume levels from either decoder.

The enhanced projects do include Multi-Drive and manual notching, but other cool things to 'enhance your driving pleasure' too. All I will say at the moment is that if you like Multi-Drive, you'll love the new features.

Regarding re-blows the MX640 is capable of correctly playing the enhanced projects. If you wish me to do this for you, please PM me.

Kind regards,

Paul

Rob,

Where are you based? Are you going to Doncaster show this weekend?

Paul

hi paul thanks for all that info, well i im sure they are both parallel black to black red to red, i test them out before i solder and noticed no differerence in the volume either way but i didnt try black red red black in parallel and i didnt know about the battery test.

i will have to check what speakers 254 is running with the 640 im sure its 8 ohm but could be 4 ohm, infact i got a feeling its 4ohm, that could be why its louder i guess to 4 ohm parallel,

506 is running 644d with pair 8 ohm parallel, im sure they are not wired in series as i guess that means the circuit uses both speakers as one, ive not done that,

would a pair of 8 ohms be quieter than a pair of 4 ohms in parallel,

and i know about cv266 i find that 254 can get as loud as a 100 or 130 at a push without distorting but i run it quieter than a 100 most the time,

506 is will go to a 100 but it is much quieter sound quality is excellent hoewever and still very audible just not as punchy, it distorts easier on higher settings that that,

should i try refitting 506 running th 644d with a pair of 4 ohm bass reflex and bass enhanced in parallel? would that be louder,

and as for donny show i didnt know it was on ive not been to a show for years and sadly although id love too go i have to go to look after my grandad in st helens who is currently in hospital with his heart. hes getting there now though which is good news not doing bad for 85 at all.

i appreciate all the help.

i could look it up but its more friendly and fun to ask and chat on here. or maybe i am just lazy lol.

im very excited about these new functions your tempting me with, and really so excited about an instantly thrashable 40 class 20 would be awsome too, also a big fan of them they are what i remember the most from my childhood at wigan, before i knew it was a 20 to me it was a long shunter with 2 types of face lol.

all the best rob

Rob,

Whatever you do, DO NOT wire 2 x 4Ohms speakers in parallel. They will be permanently damaged and may also damage the decoder.

Use I x 4 Ohms, or

2 x 8 Ohms in parallel, or

2 x 4 Ohms in series.

Paul

hi paul ok that was clear i wont be doing that, is that true of the older zimo too, it was a long time a year ago i did the first zimo and i researched it at the time as it was different to all my other lok 3.5 100ohms,

i will check what ive done with 254 now. either way its been running extremley well for a year now,. i must have put 8 ohms in.

will there be multidrive 55, 20, and other classes too eventually, hope so.

Rob,

Class 55 and 37 are going out for beta testing tomorrow, Class 40 is now completed, as is Class 33. All are Multi-Drive with manual notching.

Etc....!

Paul

AWSOME NEWS! ill be ordering a 40 soon then as soon as i see it on the web site or as soon as i can be sure of available funds!.

deltic will be soon after. cheers mate i love your sound chips and at some point i think ill send my mx640 chip off to you for a reblow with the multidrive and my own horns sound cheers rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived