Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

From the Model rail photo i for one am glad i have one on order it looks the part to me

I wrote to Bachmann a while back to say the early publicity shots were worrying because of the air gap between bogies and body. I then saw it in their display case this year at Warley and ordered one when I got home.

I wrote to Bachmann a while back to say the early publicity shots were worrying because of the air gap between bogies and body. I then saw it in their display case this year at Warley and ordered one when I got home.

Just found the email from Bachmann which might help to explain why they have the air gap between bogies and body:

The gap that you refer to is due to the absence of the steam heating pipe which connects between the body and bogie on the prototype, the portrayal of this part would have severely limited the bogie movement and therefore would have made the model inoperable on model railway layouts with any degree of curve or gradient. If viewed at similarly low angles, there is a clear gap between body and bogies on the prototype, even with the inclusion of the steam heating pipe.

The angle of the photographs on our website do accentuate this gap, however under normal viewing conditions this gap is much less apparent and comparable to the gap evident on our Class 44/45/46 models.

I dont see how it can affect it especially on gradients, my 7mm 40 has the pipes and the bogies swing freely,

it would be the bufferbeam to the bottom of the nose the would restrict the movement on to a gradient.

If you are really that concerned about the gap why not scratch build your own to meet model railway curves/gradients and 2nd radi curves to the same price as the expected model will be, only then will your comments will be accepted.

Better still why not start your own company and produce one to the standards you expect for the price of the model.

It seems to me that whatever Bachmann/Hornby produce it is just not good enough for some people

Micheal this not a dig at you personally but all those having a pop at the manufacturers for what is produced.

Edited by johnd
  • Like 1

If you are really that concerned about the gap why not scratch build your own to meet model railway curves/gradients and 2nd radi curves to the same price as the expected model will be, only then will your comments will be accepted.

Better still why not start your own company and produce one to the standards you expect for the price of the model.

It seems to me that whatever Bachmann/Hornby produce it is just not good enough for some people

Micheal this not a dig at you personally but all those having a pop at the manufacturers for what is produced.

Im replying to Phil's question of how to attach the pipe, I said it wont affect it if you put the pipe on, not that Bachmann should do it!

Im replying to Phil's question of how to attach the pipe, I said it wont affect it if you put the pipe on, not that Bachmann should do it!

Point taken, but if it is a scale pipe, what is the original pipe (2inch would need 1/38 of an inch) to replicate it in OO gauge and that is in the scale model we are talking about . A very thin wire I think, yes I still think in imperial measurements.

Let's see and enjoy the new release shall we as I feel that we will be having in various No's for some time! unless something happens to the moulds !

• RMweb Gold

Awesome shot of D336

And PMP that's a cracking job on those locos - time to stop procrastinating and add that job on D308 and D373 to the Xmas jobs list.

Thanks both

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is a daft question but I am relatively new to all this. I love the new Bachmann 40 however just wondered if there was a kit to transfer it to a split head code variant ? or maybe put a Lima body on the Bachmann chassis? Thanks in advance

Nathan

Sorry if this is a daft question but I am relatively new to all this. I love the new Bachmann 40 however just wondered if there was a kit to transfer it to a split head code variant ? or maybe put a Lima body on the Bachmann chassis? Thanks in advance

Nathan

Hi Naithan,

In the release due shortly Bachmann are producing the split headcode version, the only down side if you want a green one is that it will be blue with a TOPS number.

Personally I would like a green split headcode, will have to wait till Bachmann decide to produce one. Maybe a few e-mails to them might encourage them.

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/index.php

John

Edited by johnd

From the Chairman of the Class 40 Preservation Society, owners and custodians of D335 (40135) and D345 (40145).

--

We will be taking stock of the NEW “ split box “ class 40 very soon.

Hopefully we can count on your support with regard to purchases of this model and other models in their range.

If you would like a model reserving, please email sales@cfps.co.uk and we will be in touch.

--

​Please consider purchasing your Bachmann class 40s through the CFPS, as all proceeds will be invested in keeping the originals running.

• Like 3

Thanks guys, I might buy a lima and put the body on the Bachmann

Sorry, but I don't understand why you would want to replace the new tool 40 body with an old Lima one, seeing as Bachmann are doing all three types of nose end.