Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Maybe the lights are on the same sort of pcb n the back of the noses with the same contacts regardless of version like the 37s.

Lets see more pics then as these are unboxed.

Weve been waiting long enough and spouting off about the delays long enough now.....

Whats the sound version like too?

Sound version. Not the best, but try this:

Yeah a good video.  Too quick off the mark pulling away from the station but impressive haulage capacity.

im sure like the Class 20 sound models the shrill of these will lose its novelty value quite quickly.  I always got a headache hearing my Class 20s whistling away.  

i remember walking up to depots in the 80s hearing that familiar class 40 shrill and think great hopefully another "cop" in the book but i always glad to walk away afterwards to get away from the noise of them.

i remember walking up to depots in the 80s hearing that familiar class 40 shrill and think great hopefully another "cop" in the book but i always glad to walk away afterwards to get away from the noise of them.

That is one in a set of memories that people of a certain age will never forget!  Warrington, Wigan, Longsight, Kingmoor, Northwich, even Bescot and Saltley on occasion.

Not going to click 'disagree' but while I share your view about DCC EE sound, I never found the real thing anything other than musical!

I ordered a blue one yesterday, hopefully I can change it too 40135 by removing the thanks.

Cheers Peter.

Bad news Peter. Unlike the previous version the tanks are not separate part, but part of the chassis frame so you'll have to get a saw out... also all the switching for the lights (cab on/off and tail on/off) is located in the tanks as seems to now be standard on Bachmann models. 

Not impossible but a bit tricky. Good luck! 

Bruce

I remember the 40s being really loud. By the way I remember the class 50s being even louder at a station stop. I saw one recently on the Mid Hants and it seemed really quiet! Either I have gone deaf or maybe it was the original "hoover" equipment that was loud. Did that get removed?

I remember the 40s being really loud. By the way I remember the class 50s being even louder at a station stop. I saw one recently on the Mid Hants and it seemed really quiet! Either I have gone deaf or maybe it was the original "hoover" equipment that was loud. Did that get removed?

As good a Class 50 sound as you can get...

• Like 3

Can confirm the lights have the same style of nose end contacts as the 37's.  The speaker (when fitted) is also connected via spring contacts, as per the cab lights, instead of the normal tehered wires.  So swapping bodies over on sound/non sound examples should be a breeze - just swap the speaker/decoder over with no wires to connect.

My 141 example ran like a "swiss watch" straight out of the box - no drive train etc noises at all - a good start !  However as supplied the decoder settings of CV 3 + 4 were both 0 hence it shot off too quickly and then stopped almost instantly on closing the throttle.  I'd suggest setting CV 3 to 128 and CV 4 to 64 for starters, and adjust from there to suit.

Overall I think it's a big improvement on the original version, complete with factory fit BB pipes etc.  Replacement buffers/shanks will finish it off nicely.  

It would appear Hattons have already sold out of these - try Hereford Models http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=7309&zenid=3a253d1296d93774157c79892d9732ee

£87-75 + post.

post-2215-0-70484300-1389981331.jpg

post-2215-0-31466400-1389981345.jpg

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 1

Yes, all the exciting hoovery stuff got removed in the refurb programme.  They went from sounding like awesome power machines, all turbo wailing and thrash, to gutless class 37 soundalikes.  The noise reminds me of an old man with ill fitting false teeth making a pretend train noise.  I can't even find an original hoover sound recording on the internet.... I'd love to hear it once more

I used to lie in bed at night listening to hoovers and westerns wailing and they were spine tingling....

2nd gen EMD locomotives still have that turbo wail, and if you;re ever lucky enough to hear an original V20 645E3 you will get the same feeling...

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

tell me you're joking, ive been waiting too long for that model  :O

Dunno. It's not yet confirmed that they have gone back to China. My 40141 arrived this morning. Very nice. I'I've been waiting years for a decent OO 40. Now waiting for them to do a disc headcode BR blue one so it can double-head. Just like the glory days on the north Wales coast.

RWJ

Dunno. It's not yet confirmed that they have gone back to China. My 40141 arrived this morning. Very nice. I'I've been waiting years for a decent OO 40. Now waiting for them to do a disc headcode BR blue one so it can double-head. Just like the glory days on the north Wales coast.

RWJ

i hope they haven't been sent back to china, ive waited too long

A dealer told me that there are some here at Bachmann but not enough for the full order, they are awaiting the remainder which should arrive in the next container, hence the delay in releasing them.

What is also interesting is that I believe Bachmann have had only half there order produced for the one released and there are no plans for any more. If you want one grab it while you can.

Edited by johnd

A dealer told me that there are some here at Bachmann but not enough for the full order, they are awaiting the remainder which should arrive in the next container, hence the delay in releasing them.

What is also interesting is that I believe Bachmann have had only half there order produced for the one released and there are no plans for any more. If you want one grab it while you can.

good job i pre-ordered one then, do you think they will be sent to hattons?

Got mine this afternoon ran it in for an hour each way on the rolling road then cleaned the wheels as there looked dirty, put it on the track and all lights flickered as I put it on the track.

I then sent it round the layout and it kept on stopping & starting (with all the lights coming on for a split second as it stopped) so cleaned the track (not that any dirt came off0 and same again, I then turned the loco around & had same problem at different places going the other way.

So I took the body off plus the bogies to see if too much grease was dripping onto the contacts, that was cleaned out of excess grease and reassembled. Still the same problem loco stops lights come on for a second and go off as the loco stalls.

Also the same problem happens on my DC loop stops at random places,

Anyone else had this problem?

I just hope there are more to replace my faulty one.

Stu

Got mine this afternoon ran it in for an hour each way on the rolling road then cleaned the wheels as there looked dirty, put it on the track and all lights flickered as I put it on the track.I then sent it round the layout and it kept on stopping & starting (with all the lights coming on for a split second as it stopped) so cleaned the track (not that any dirt came off0 and same again, I then turned the loco around & had same problem at different places going the other way.So I took the body off plus the bogies to see if too much grease was dripping onto the contacts, that was cleaned out of excess grease and reassembled. Still the same problem loco stops lights come on for a second and go off as the loco stalls.Also the same problem happens on my DC loop stops at random places,Anyone else had this problem?I just hope there are more to replace my faulty one.Stu

Just wonder if the problem your having with flickering lights might have something to do with the contacts on the pcb to the contacts on the chassis! Just a thought!

Must say I like the look of the drivers desk. Think the fine paint brush will have to come out.

Edited by johnd

Got mine this afternoon ran it in for an hour each way on the rolling road then cleaned the wheels as there looked dirty, put it on the track and all lights flickered as I put it on the track.

I then sent it round the layout and it kept on stopping & starting (with all the lights coming on for a split second as it stopped) so cleaned the track (not that any dirt came off0 and same again, I then turned the loco around & had same problem at different places going the other way.

So I took the body off plus the bogies to see if too much grease was dripping onto the contacts, that was cleaned out of excess grease and reassembled. Still the same problem loco stops lights come on for a second and go off as the loco stalls.

Stu

Same thing roughly i had experiencing with the model i got yesterday n  took it back today n got it replaced n the replacement runs well on straights but point areas stop  n lights out n then sets off,  i lightly oiled the wheels where the axle passes thru the brass n then ran it a good hour in both directions n it now runs alot better n lights dont go out as much now

Bad news Peter. Unlike the previous version the tanks are not separate part, but part of the chassis frame so you'll have to get a saw out... also all the switching for the lights (cab on/off and tail on/off) is located in the tanks as seems to now be standard on Bachmann models. 

Not impossible but a bit tricky. Good luck! 

Bruce

, Thanks anyway I don't mind getting the saw out.

Cheers Peter.

Stu

Have you tried removing the decoder and then running it on DC with the blanking plate fitted ? With the plate fitted and the chassis on it's back you can then check via some cables etc from a DC power supply/rails if all wheels with pick ups turn the motor. Also worth checking the contact point where the pick-ups rub on the small ring on the rear of the wheels is clean etc.  Replacing the screws at both nose ends is necessary to get the lights working as intended when testing etc. 

Perhaps I've just been lucky with mine, it ran beautifully straight out of the box.

HTH

Ken

Hi

It looks as if it's going to interesting, trying to fit a bass enhanced speaker or any other speaker into that body. The new circuit board doesn't have the same room. And even if you kept the old speaker those springy contacts will make using black tac a non starter. Time for the trusty old soldering iron to make an appearance again.

Regards

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg
  • Like 1