Uncouplers for OO layout for eight-year old

RJD

I live in the USA and am building a small 00 layout for my eight-year old grandson. The layout will be British running Bachmann and Hornby stock.

He likes the idea of shunting. What do children's layouts in the UK use for uncouplers? I have found Peco SL-29 Hornby/Triang type decoupler a bit fussy for a child What do would you recommend?

Thanks for any ideas,

Richard Davies

Utah USA

• RMweb Premium

I'll confess to being a bit older than 8 (past 8 squared). I made some paddles. Take a rectangle of plasticard wide enough to go under the droppers on the couplings and long enough to go to the other side of the rails and put a handle on one side (plastic rod or sqaure). I have both slanted and vertical handles. This is just pushed under the couplings and lifted.

Based on a product made by TriAng about 50 years ago.

It must be narrow enough to fit between the wheels!

At that age, I used to uncouple by lifting one vehicle clear (Hornby Dublo - the uncouplers were not the most reliable part of the system). This can't be done with today's hook systems, unless you remove a hook from one end of each vehicle. As an alternative, you could fit Kadees, though these might be a bit delicate for an eight year old.

Hoovered, this is true, but you can make a good substitute with a strip of clear plastic from shirt collar packaging and two sewing pins to hold it in a bowed shape.

It is true that the track spacing is wrong for Hornby un-couplers,

but the Peco un-couplers do fit [Peco track].

AFAIK they work as well as the Hornby ones, but you buy them

as D-I-Y pack of 2 instead of ready made.

Cheers, Jeff

But this is the item the OP is looking for an alternative to.

I still find the tension lock couplings fiddly and I'm considerably older than eight. I also dislike the way they ensure that an entire train will end up on the floor.

I hesitate to advise the Peco/Dublo coupling due to obsolescence, but Kadees are similar in operation and easily obtained in the States, or there are cheaper versions such as the Bachmann E-Z mate.

Hi David,

Having re-read the OP it is still not obvious that he wanted to

change all the couplings. But I am happy to be proved wrong!

I was just responding to my interpretation of the info given.

I don't know how much work Richard wants to take on, but the

other consideration would be robustness. After all it has to be

long term reliable, preferably without constant adjustment or

repair, which is one big plus with tension lock.

Lets wait and see which way Richard wants to go.

Cheers, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Quite probably you are right, but, unfortunately, it's the coupling that is fiddly, rather than the uncoupling devices - here you're stuck with the Peco accessory (which I assume is a spring ramp), a home made equivalent from acetate (or better polystyrene) sheet or the Tri-ang shovel type device.

This can only be avoided, by making the couplings one ended (not ideal I would admit - but it does allow relatively easy manual uncoupling*) or by the replacement of the couplings (tedious and expensive, though quite straight forward especially with NEM pockets). I can understand any reluctance to go along this route.

* I did this with my Tri-ang TT layout in the sixties and found operation quite reliable.

My suggestion of Kadees was due to availability. I would agree they are perhaps too delicate, as I said before. (The X2f alternative I discounted right away, as not really suitable for British 4 wheel vehicles - it gives problems with US bogie stock.)

Cheers David

My preferred method (if you can access under the board) is to glue a piece of card (or acetate) long enough to lift both hoops to a short length of dowel at least half an inch longer than the thickness of the board surface. Drill a hole in the centre of the track where you want the uncoupler to be and drop the dowel in. You can now uncouple by pushing the dowel up from underneath.

• RMweb Premium

I have found two problems with the sprung, between-the-rails uncouplers. They snag on some locos which have very low underframes. The droppers on various makes of couplings are not consistent with how far they come down.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It looks like I will use the Hornby couplings and give my grandson some Peco sprung uncouplers to try. The places to uncouple engines and shunt will have to be within easy reach.

Best wishes,

Richard

Utah, USA

Archived