Yorkford, PA - A US Micro Layout

Thanks for the encouraging comments. Oddly enough, the building you mention, Sunderland Engineering, is the only British OO scale building on the layout, the rest being HO, so I'm glad it looks American to someone living over there! The frontage is a plaster casting I bought and which I then added the roof, sides and fittings to.

The turnouts are Peco Streamline small radius. When travelling at a crawl (which they usually are) my Bachmann Geeps and Athearn SW1500 do slow down over them and I have to increase the throttle a tad. I should probably have gone for medium radius but they would have taken up more room - and besides, these were free from my dad!

The layout will be at its first show here in York in October, but of course I realise that's a long way for you to come!

You're very welcome. I always enjoy seeing small, well-detailed layouts that are interesting to operate. Basements are scarce in my region (too much clay in the soil and high water table) and the garage is sweltering during the summer and very cold during winter. Thus, my only option for a layout is a shelf type in a spare bedroom. Wish I could see your layout in person but, alas, it's a long swim to your side of the pond.

Have you considered posting any of your operations to YouTube?

• 1 year later...

Where did this last year go to?

I managed to get Yorkford, PA to an exhibition last October which revealed that ideally I needed a short extension at the left end to make switching easier. So I made an extra 4in. length of track that plugs into the end. Detracts a bit from the appearance but serves the purpose. Here's a CP Rail boxcar with one end on the extension:

post-14205-0-79044200-1416922454_thumb.jpg

The layout could also do with its own lighting and a proper stand, rather than just plonking it on a table. Does anyone have experience of the kinds of trestle or decorating table you can get from the likes of Wickes, B&Q or Ikea?

Meanwhile, here are a few more photos showing some recent purchases - hope you like them. More new ones can be seen on the webpage from the link in my signature.

post-14205-0-67786300-1416922970_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-43615400-1416923047_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-20020000-1416923218_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-67110700-1416923266_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-15105200-1416923353_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-41351900-1416923684_thumb.jpg

There is the Lidl Ironing board (I have two for layout support legs!) They are about due to appear again, but make sure that you get the one with the lever on the side - they are infinitely adjustable between fully folded and 36"

Is it stable enough to withstand knocks and shakes, from audience and operators alike?

There is the Lidl Ironing board (I have two for layout support legs!) They are about due to appear again, but make sure that you get the one with the lever on the side - they are infinitely adjustable between fully folded and 36"

Also available (from time to time) from ALDI (not that I have any connection to them, you know…).

Is it stable enough to withstand knocks and shakes, from audience and operators alike?

Recommendation: keep them pesters at a safe distance - not only good against knocks & shakes, but also against curious (aka thieevy) and dirty fingers.

Armin

Recommendation: keep them pesters at a safe distance - not only good against knocks & shakes, but also against curious (aka thieevy) and dirty fingers.

Armin

Apparently the Great Unwashed have upped their firepower and are now using mobility scooters to try to topple layouts. How stable did you say it was....?

We really lived on the edge then, inviting kids to press a button on the front of the layout to work the smoking factory chimney. In fact at the end of the last day we ended up letting a really enthusiastic lad work the layout for a while. So increased robustness will definitely be a requirement for next time.

Having said that, the only actual mishap was caused by me turning the throttle the wrong way and almost making a loco run off the end of the layout and take a piece of backscene with it. Must try not to operate and talk to a spectator on my other side at the same time.

Rod - it should be okay - saying that the last layout I used them on was L-shaped, so fairly solid anyway - If you are bothered you could drill the bottom of the legs for nuts and bolts, and fit a length of 3"x2" about 4 feet long across the bottom at floor level - if you add another foot at the front and screw two broom handles, vertically, to the 3"x2", cut them to an appropriate height and drill the top and put a rope through them - instant barrier - If you are bothered about stock/locos/vehicles going walk-about, put your initials on the bottom in metallic marker pen - then at least, if the tea-leaf is stopped, the items are instantly identify-able

Having a number of micro exhibition layouts, having a variety of support bases is impractical......if only from the storage perspective. Subject to the size of the layout, I ask the Exhibition Manager on acceptance of the invite to make available either a 6x2 or a 4x2 table dependent on the layout size. I have two of the collapsible plastic storage boxes which, once opened, are placed upside down on the table adding a further 12" or so to the height and support the layout. I have found this setup extremely secure against the invaders & mobility scooters. The boxes also double for transporting the necessary miscellany ato the exhibition.

Something a bit longer and wider would probably suit me better, that I could also rest the stock on.

Though it's probably no more robust that an ironing board. Maybe a couple of sandbags over the bottom rungs..?

I have discovered that a 'keyboard stand' is quite sturdy, but light & folds flat when not in use, OK for use with a 'micro' at home.

(Some 'folding crates' to carry your stock in, turn them upside down & use as a 'table' to hold your spare stock?)

• 4 weeks later...

As a relative newcomer to the forum I have only just come across this superb little layout.

I love it, as I've got older I enjoy operating more and more. (see my layout Benson)

With regard to supporting the layout I use an old fashioned ironing board with four legs and that has supported my 1/32 scale narrow gauge layout with no problems for the last five years. (see Two Sister's Farm on this forum)

Regards Peter M

• 2 months later...

Following the thread on cheaper and better quality DCC sound, I decided to have a go with under-baseboard sound on Yorkford, PA. I installed a Laisdcc decoder into one of my Bachmann GP40s, and an MRC diesel sounder under the baseboard, wired direct to the track and mounted in a small plywood box with holes in the top. I must say the result is better than I'd expected. The MRC decoder comes with a speaker, and to my ears it's not half bad. It was factory-set at full volume, which was deafening, so I set it to minimum, which is quite enough for where I have the layout. I thought I'd have to use a bigger speaker for quality but I'm quite happy with the one supplied, I think the result is certainly better than the sound from the Bachmann Sound Value range. However, I do have a 3in. speaker I salvaged from an old clock radio, so I may experiment with that.

I haven't botherd with consisting, the loco and sound decoder are simply set to the same address.

The MRC sound decoder cost £40 and comes with a choice of six US diesel engine types. At an additional £10 per loco decoder, it's certainly a cheap way of getting sound from a fleet of locos. I daresay the quality is subjective, but all I can say is I was impressed, from my starting point of almost total ignorance on these matters.

Ok, so the sound doesn't actually follow the loco, but with the layout being only 4ft long, it's not too much of a problem. When operating at shows, it's not totally absurd to envisage actually moving the speaker enclosure side to side under the baseboard to follow the train!

• 1 month later...

Following the thread on cheaper and better quality DCC sound, I decided to have a go with under-baseboard sound on Yorkford, PA. I installed a Laisdcc decoder into one of my Bachmann GP40s, and an MRC diesel sounder under the baseboard, wired direct to the track and mounted in a small plywood box with holes in the top. I must say the result is better than I'd expected. The MRC decoder comes with a speaker, and to my ears it's not half bad. It was factory-set at full volume, which was deafening, so I set it to minimum, which is quite enough for where I have the layout. I thought I'd have to use a bigger speaker for quality but I'm quite happy with the one supplied, I think the result is certainly better than the sound from the Bachmann Sound Value range. However, I do have a 3in. speaker I salvaged from an old clock radio, so I may experiment with that.

I haven't botherd with consisting, the loco and sound decoder are simply set to the same address.

The MRC sound decoder cost £40 and comes with a choice of six US diesel engine types. At an additional £10 per loco decoder, it's certainly a cheap way of getting sound from a fleet of locos. I daresay the quality is subjective, but all I can say is I was impressed, from my starting point of almost total ignorance on these matters.

Ok, so the sound doesn't actually follow the loco, but with the layout being only 4ft long, it's not too much of a problem. When operating at shows, it's not totally absurd to envisage actually moving the speaker enclosure side to side under the baseboard to follow the train!

On my MRC Soundbox, I use two speakers -  set towards each end - and that seems to solve the "following" problem

On my MRC Soundbox, I use two speakers -  set towards each end - and that seems to solve the "following" problem

Yes, that option had occurred to me among others. Digitrains weren't sure whether this particular decoder would support 2 speakers so I've sent an enquiry to MRC. Hopefully it will be ok because I do have a spare speaker that should do nicely.

As an alternative I could always buy a second decoder, they are quite reasonably priced.

A third option that occurred to me is to fix the speaker enclosure on top of a spare loco running on a track under the baseboard, in sync with the one on the layout. Might be a bit tricky to synchronise though...and it would be a question of which loco to sacrifice!

• 2 months later...

I agree on both counts. Hope the show went well at the weekend.

Alan.

Thanks. It was a quiet show, mainly NCAM members, and it wrapped up about 2pm. Still, a fair deal of interest in the layout (and the smoking chimney), and I got another couple of invites - only problem is they're a bit further from York than I'd like, one in Hartlepool and one in Fleetwood. Still, you never know.

To stand the layout on, I ended up getting a B&Q pasting table - the lightweight one they do with a black top and aluminium legs. It's sturdy enough and just long enough for the layout plus fiddle yard.

A few casualties on the day - a wing mirror broke off the Dodge pickup in transit, a point lever got dislodged, and a truck fell off one of the boxcars, the screw thread in the chassis being well and truly stripped. And when I got home Pagano Olive Oil had keeled over and had to be re-glued. I blame a rival protection gang.

It's amazing how the sound gets diffused at a show. I have two MRC decoders with speakers under the baseboard, which are loud enough at home on their lowest setting, but were only just adequate at the show at full volume.

• 1 month later...

Some recent acquisitions at Yorkford.

The CSX loco is an Athearn Genesis model with Tsunami sound, and very nice too.

The steel rods on the flat car in the bottom picture are made out of spaghetti.

post-14205-0-81423200-1438954311_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-97016800-1438954345_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-49645900-1438954364_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-82574800-1438954400_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-37073900-1438954424_thumb.jpg

post-14205-0-56743900-1438954444_thumb.jpg

Archived