Yorkford, PA - A US Micro Layout

I have absolutely no need for a caboose and no room on the layout for one, but I got one anyway, just to gum things up good and proper.

It's Bachmann. Needed new couplers as it came with hornhooks but it only cost me £2 on ebay, good as new. I was pleasantly surprised at how chunky and robust it is, and with metal wheels. Just needs muckying up a bit now.

post-14205-0-74813400-1463687451_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After a quiet year or so, next outing for Yorkford, PA is coming up...next weekend, 28th and 29th January at Pontefract.

I haven't done much with the layout lately so I'd best check that everything still works!

• 2 weeks later...

At the Pontefract show last week there were lots of families and Yorkford's smoking chimney was getting a lot of action, so I decided I'd better stock up on smoke oil, which was running a bit low. A trader called Direct Train Spares had 100ml bottles of a water-based smoke fluid for £2, so I thought I'd try some. I was a bit sceptical but in fact it's excellent, better than the Seuthe oil I've been using because it starts to smoke almost instantly and gives a nice even column of smoke, unlike the Seuthe which takes about 5 seconds to get going (we always have to tell kids to press the button and count to five), and then is a bit erratic. I was also told that the water-based stuff should help keep the element cleaner.

Anyone know of any disadvantages to using this water-based fluid?

• 4 months later...

As with the last couple of years I'll be taking Yorkford, PA to the NCAM meeting in Hampsthwaite near Harrogate on Sunday 2 July. I will also have some locos and stock to sell and (possibly, if I can bear to part with it) the layout itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I intend to put Yorkford up for sale on ebay in the next week or two...if anyone is interested in the meantime, please send me a pm. I have some locos and stock available too.

Archived