The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The "one" album that is you

Mickey

far too complicated to say any one album, like Chard its a compilation to get the full range in! But if I were to go down that route id say music from Glastonbury - the Film. Doesnt include a lot of my very favourite songs but it covers a wide range of music genres which is so me. But most importantly it includes Faithless' "We come one" recorded in 2002. I was in the audience near the front, Ive had many good feelings in my life but right there, right then was absolutely up there with the best.

NIN - With Teeth seems to be on non-stop repeat in the car of late, just seems to be my music of choice of late. Especially 'Hand that Feeds'.

That or one of the Triggerfinger albums, who were great when I saw them at High Voltage last year! (I did a lengthy review of the Saturday on my website).

• RMweb Premium

I agree that it's very difficult, as music is such a subjective area - just listen to the varied repsonses as to what people would take to a desert island with then.

For me, it would have to be something guitar based and showing some real dexterity and ability - such as Chet Atkins, Tommy Emmanuel, Chris Newman, or somebody of that ilk. Now that starts off a new debate (and I am not starting anything up here as it's been debated befroe) as to who is/are the best guitarists alive or dead....

I don't know about what album is "me: but certainly the two albums that I listen to most and can never get tired of, even if they are played over and over again, are Wish you were here? by Pink Floyd and disk 2 of the white label promo version of Shine by the Space Brothers that I acquired whilst a Radio DJ in the 1990s. I never get tired of either, so that must say something about me?

Quo - Live Glasgow Apollo double album on vinyl, still hits the spot for me, all the old great songs.

Muddy Waters - Muddy "Mississippi" Waters Live, a great bunch of Blues musicians knocking out some fantastic songs, and "Baby Please Don't" is a fantastic rhythmic ride, one for my Funeral repertoire when time calls on me.

far too complicated to say any one album, like Chard its a compilation to get the full range in! But if I were to go down that route id say music from Glastonbury - the Film. Doesnt include a lot of my very favourite songs but it covers a wide range of music genres which is so me. But most importantly it includes Faithless' "We come one" recorded in 2002. I was in the audience near the front, Ive had many good feelings in my life but right there, right then was absolutely up there with the best.

As I've gotten (Am.) older, and think back, how much music has had some sort of influence upon my life / me, and, as CHARD pointed out, earlier, it would be impossible, for me, to compile such an album.

But,.. Yes, even now,..'Faithless', and Glastonbury, continue to strike such a chord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwTFIesP2e4

• RMweb Premium

I like too many different styles of music to identify any one album, but I suppose Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon comes fairly close.

Also Jethro Tull's Songs From The Wood, Cream's Disraeli Gears, Who's Next, Close To The Edge.........

For a single song it would have to be Badge by Cream - the first proper rock record I ever bought, back in the summer of '69 (come to think of it, that's not a bad song either).

For me, Steve Earle - Galway Girl.

P.S. I am not Irish or a girl but someone who I once knew long ago was...

Copperhead Road, now that's a Great album, PS Copperhead Road the song is on my Funeral playlist as well, no mournful dirges for me when I'm going on "The Highway Too Hell", stick that one on as well.

• RMweb Gold

I'd have to go for different albums for different times in my life (although all still speak to me)..

Teenage years - "The River" by the Boss, "A walk across the rooftops" by The Blue Nile

Uni - both "Life's Rich Pageant" by REM, and "The Medicine Show" by the Dream Syndicate

90s - "Generation Terrorists" by the Manics, and "Dog Man Star" & "Head Music" by Suede

Since entering "middle age maturity" (HA!) I'm leaning towards "The Decline of British Sea Power" (by British Sea Power, natch) and "Journal for Plague Lovers" by the Manics.

If I was restricted to one song it would be Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb. Saw them live at Earls Court in the early 90's. The sound, light show and atmosphere were incredible and hearing it again always takes me back.

The guitar solo at the end lasts a good 5 mins.....http://youtu.be/jaoH25TaM-c

Up to 2005 I would have agreed with you - then Iron Maiden came out with 'Journeyman'. Sorry 'Mickey', a song instead of an album.

Absolute top album would have to be the Woodstock soundtrack, I was at the Bath festival in 1970, which was a bit of a blur until I watched Woodstock the film, the two festivals seemed very similar musically. Probably nowhere near but it fused the two together in my mind.

Standout track 'Soul Sacrifice' by Santana, who were at both festivals.

Must find my DVD of the film, not seen it for ages, although I saw it over a dozen times at the cinema, the only place to appreciate it properly.

All my choices, so far, have been of top musicians,...but.. any album tracks chosen (by me), would have to include these spoken words, by these guys...

It just goes to show, how easy it is, to build a wall, and, how hard it is, to tear it down.

I do believe the rifts are healing, as witnessed by Roger, Dave and Nick, at last year's concert at the O2 Arena.

Archived