EBay madness

Marcyg

14 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I think they get fewer injuries crashing about into one another in the mud than they would if they did it on sun-baked ground in high summer (perhaps even in Scotland).

Rangers vs Celtic IS a medieval religious war.

It's like a spa weekend mudpack. Diving around in the dust would graze off the solarium / spray suntan and they'd be too raw to wax their legs for weeks...

As for peaceful religions and the resultant genocide, I've seen far too much of it on my travels to have the energy to comment.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

including the changing room and showers ?

That was my first thought when I was asked if I'd rather go and play netball. I knew that was never going to happen!

We did however with our other teacher play mixed volleyball, the showoffs tried far too hard to demonstrate physical superiority  and the girls avoided them, so that the popular boys ended up having to play with themselves....

Which didn't go unnoticed!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

6 of us at Paignton Secondary School for Boys (early 70's).. hated Football or Rugby and got to go on  cross country runs down in the lanes out towards Stoke Gabrial as far as the Whitehouse and back round the farms then back .... past Churchwards Cider...

Can't do that anymore as part of our route is now an industrial estate... I brought a house in the early 2000's opposite the school site and realised that part of our garden was one of our routes round the field in the 70's

Always got back to school and in / out of the showers before anyone else as the sports master was a sadist who turned the showers off to cold water only... we beat him at that by being first 

Funnily we were all picked at short notice for the school inter sports cross country ... and won 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

23 minutes ago, John Besley said:

6 of us at Paignton Secondary School for Boys (early 70's).. hated Football or Rugby and got to go on  cross country runs down in the lanes out towards Stoke Gabrial as far as the Whitehouse and back round the farms then back

I was too small to play rugby; any time I tried to tackle someone I got dragged along as if I weighed nothing and getting kicked in the mouth for my trouble. My parents complained and I got shifted into a Latin class for two years. That felt like more of a punishment than being kicked in the teeth!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

I was too small to play rugby; any time I tried to tackle someone I got dragged along as if I weighed nothing and getting kicked in the mouth for my trouble. My parents complained and I got shifted into a Latin class for two years. That felt like more of a punishment than being kicked in the teeth!

'Give blood - play rugby!' 😎

• Agree 4

8 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

My parents complained and I got shifted into a Latin class for two years. That felt like more of a punishment than being kicked in the teeth!

Latin was good. 

When I was in the fourth form the Latin master told the headmaster this lot are thick, they'll need an extra lesson a week or they'll fail their GCEs.  Something in the timetable had to give, so we got out RI (Religious Indoctrination) that year. 

Of course next year the RI teacher said they've got to do it, RI is compulsory under the 1944 Education Act - and they ought to do CSE.  A CSE grade 1 counted as equivalent to a GCE pass, but there was no way yours truly was going to get a grade 1 in CSE Scripture.  And I didn't intend to waste my O-level swotting time on a subject that wouldn't count as an O level. 

If it's compulsory,how come those Catholics don't have to do it?  So off I went to the town library and looked up the 1944 Act.  Yes, it was indeed mandatory - but with a get out, presumably intended for Catholics and Jews - I'm pretty sure there weren't any muslims or hindus in that part of Cheshire back then.  The parents could ask for you to be excluded.  So I got the old man to write a letter saying he objected under the Act.  And just applied to me - not to little brother !  It was unprecedented and the teachers were dumbfounded - so I got to sit at the back of the class with the RCs and to stand outside the hall with them during morning prayers.  And I did my latin homework whilst the rest of the class was doing their bible studies.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

9 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Of course next year the RI teacher said they've got to do it, RI is compulsory under the 1944 Education Act

Not in Scotland it appeared. We never had to go through RI although we did have to endure hymn singing at assembly every Friday morning...torture because it was always the same hymns, week in, week out...Onward Christian Soldiers being my pet hate; still is fifty years later. If you forgot to bring your hymn book for this event, the headmaster took you aside at the end and gave you three lashes of the belt. Christianity in action!

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

Not in Scotland it appeared. We never had to go through RI although we did have to endure hymn singing at assembly every Friday morning...torture because it was always the same hymns, week in, week out...Onward Christian Soldiers, No. 535 in the Church of Scotland hymnal, being my pet hate, it still is fifty years later. If you forgot to bring your hymn book for this event, the headmaster took you aside at the end and gave you three lashes of the belt. Christianity in action!

Now I'm not a Christian, I'm far too cynical and have seen too much nastiness to be any kind of religious, but I do notice a major case of double standards.

Christianity, as our adopted religion, originates as you know from the middle east. It's one of the three abrahamic religions.

It's oh so hilarious and terribly terribly fashionable daaahlings to slag it off, make sweeping generalisation about it's leaders and it's followers, often potentially libelous and others generally join in.

But if you make the slightest criticism of the other two, you're met with awkward silence at best, or more often than not, the useful idiots will start screaming about hate speech, racism (although religion is not race) and xenophobia, threatening to expose your evil opinions and see you left an unemployable pariah.

Having spent some time in the places the spoilt little idealists never traveled on their gap year, shall I share some unpleasant truths?

Would anyone else like to kick off? Economic conspiracy? Female enslavement?

Or perhaps we should play it safe and talk about rubbish on eBay?

Rob Wolf

Generally agnostic, sometimes old school pagan, occasionally atheist.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Or perhaps we should play it safe and talk about rubbish on eBay?

Probably a good idea. Religion, despite its stated ideals, is a devisive and dangerous subject which one debates with others very carefully. A forum is not the correct forum for such a thing.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

Probably a good idea. Religion, despite its stated ideals, is a devisive and dangerous subject which one debates with others very carefully. A forum is not the correct forum for such a thing.

Nailed it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Nailed it.

To a big wooden thingy for criticising the established religious order of the time or as shown by the much publicised night vision military helicopter footage, your neighbour's goat?

😁

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

To a big wooden thingy for criticising the established religious order of the time

Very apposite parallel but I think we should move on...and here's how:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234844785514?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=usqnc_ezshc&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=oMX1GZ5VQyG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The LS Models I buy of Swiss prototypes can be just over half that price new and they make Hornby's efforts look like tinplate.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

Very apposite parallel but I think we should move on...and here's how:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234844785514?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=usqnc_ezshc&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=oMX1GZ5VQyG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The LS Models I buy of Swiss prototypes can be just over half that price new and they make Hornby's efforts look like tinplate.

Ouch. 

Anyone know what the RRP was on that model and why on earth they're asking for the gold out of your teeth?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 10/10/2022 at 14:12, The Johnster said:

Any RTR/RTP item that comes into my possession it very quickly rendered worthless to these people by weathering, repainting, renumbering, detailing, rewheeling in the case of Dapols, and similar improvements to make them suitable for my purposes.  This is not done to spite the collectors’ market, but I’ll confess to a degree of satisfaction if it does!

When I announced to a collector friend of mine that I was going to weather my very expensive LS Models Wagons Lits vehicles, all twelve of them, so that they looked like they would have done in service during the early 60s, he looked at me with abject horror and said, " you're kidding!" To him I was rendering them worthless and uncollectable.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Swissrail said:

When I announced to a collector friend of mine that I was going to weather my very expensive LS Models Wagons Lits vehicles, all twelve of them, so that they looked like they would have done in service during the early 60s, he looked at me with abject horror and said, " you're kidding!" To him I was rendering them worthless and uncollectable.

Dare I ask: what did you do with the boxes!? 😎

• Funny 4

On 11/10/2022 at 10:13, Hroth said:

I've got a "Smooth Radio" cd. Its got all those popular tunes they play over and over.  If you play it on random shuffle, its just like listening to the radio, without the presenter and the ads!

At BBC Scotland in the late 80s we all went on strike over cutbacks. The management went into the continuity suites and played records all day, back to back, without announcements or interruptions and the listenership for those three days went through the roof! Cue subsequent decimation of the engineering and presentation staff.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

On 11/10/2022 at 22:14, PhilJ W said:

The police once stopped a driver doing 100MPH on the M11 in a Reliant Robin.

There's a story of someone being pulled over many years ago on the A9 north of Perth after doing 140 in a Porsche 911. The policeman told the driver to get out of the car. The driver responded, " I can't officer, I've got no legs". He was using hand controls!

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Ouch. 

Anyone know what the RRP was on that model and why on earth they're asking for the gold out of your teeth?

I seem to think that it was above £50 which was very steep at the time. Other Pullman coaches were about £20.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bill Radford said:

I seem to think that it was above £50 which was very steep at the time. Other Pullman coaches were about £20.

Thanks.

I had a vague recollection of them being a bit special, but not £150 special!

I had a couple of the Hornby Pullman's from about 1980, they seemed very detailed at the time compared to what had gone before.

But Pullman's have always sold like mad, go to a swap meet and see the mountains of battered old Tri-ang ones that never sell at around £8 apiece. 

If coupled together they probably would stretch all the way to Siberia.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

To a big wooden thingy for criticising the established religious order of the time or as shown by the much publicised night vision military helicopter footage, your neighbour's goat?

😁

The former ;)

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2