EBay madness

Marcyg

Got a bit of a story.

I got an email yesterday to remind me that a Mainline J72 I purchased was waiting collecting at Argos.

Screenshot_20230206-175903.png.f8903bcdc73fcfaa1723c9ab59d4d1fc.png

So, I went to Argos to pick up, what I presumed, was the J72. When I got there I gave them the FM code and the woman who served me got out a rather large box. I thought "That box is a bit big just for a small loco" anyway, went back home with the new loco in hand and opened the box. However, upon emptying the box I was taken by surprise: 

16757066761982277621419077750221.jpg.37ca7e0707bead1938d4025769e47b6d.jpg

This was definitely NOT the locomotive I'd ordered. But, I had ordered 75029 (which is what the model is of) earlier on in the week and had a separate email for it. 

Screenshot_20230206-180749.png.f2e5a55a67a319db7054aff873b98ec3.png

So I was left thinking that this was the model I'd ordered and eBay sent the wrong email or the person who was supposed to send me the J72, sent me this instead.

However, 3hrs ago I got this email:

Screenshot_20230206-181157.png.e24384b19c566d81c6b559193c2e31e6.png

These are the guys who were supposed to send me the J72. What's the parcel? The J72 I didn't receive on Sunday. 

So I'm now guessing the model I got yesterday is the model of 75029 I've ordered and eBay sent me the wrong email by mistake.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I am particularly impressed by the seller's having taken multiple photographs of the 'item' from different angles and with a measuring stick, excellent presentation.  It's a bundle of scrap wire!

I think photo 5 is the pick of the bunch!?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Got a bit of a story.

I got an email yesterday to remind me that a Mainline J72 I purchased was waiting collecting at Argos.

So, I went to Argos to pick up, what I presumed, was the J72. When I got there I gave them the FM code and the woman who served me got out a rather large box. I thought "That box is a bit big just for a small loco" anyway, went back home with the new loco in hand and opened the box. However, upon emptying the box I was taken by surprise: 

This was definitely NOT the locomotive I'd ordered. But, I had ordered 75029 (which is what the model is of) earlier on in the week and had a separate email for it. 

Have you tried running the Std 4?

I've got one, I'd bought it when I first came back into the hobby and was "experimenting" with various cheap locos.  I called mine "Wobbly Bob" because it wobbles a lot....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

26 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I've got one, I'd bought it when I first came back into the hobby and was "experimenting" with various cheap locos.  I called mine "Wobbly Bob" because it wobbles a lot....

It's not been run yet. It'll have to wait until next week: I'm busy during the weekend so I won't get the chance to but I may be able to run it on Sunday.

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hroth said:

A quartering issue, perhaps?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, 40152 said:

I’m a little lost for words over this offering from RR;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115650579403?

If the assortment was even themed, like the handful of cable from earlier, it would at least make sense, albeit overpriced. Product of a Random Overpriced Tat Generator?

Guess they just emptied the dustpan with the work bench sweepings...

Now that's an idea💡 ...

• Agree 6

2 hours ago, 40152 said:

I’m a little lost for words over this offering from RR;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115650579403?

If the assortment was even themed, like the handful of cable from earlier, it would at least make sense, albeit overpriced. Product of a Random Overpriced Tat Generator?

Almost £13 for that?

£13 may not sound like much, until you take a look at that sh!te.

Are we trying to convince the bank that we have billions worth of stock in order to secure a further advance on the business overdraft, or do we genuinely believe that is worth anything at all?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Almost £13 for that?

£13 may not sound like much, until you take a look at that sh!te.

Are we trying to convince the bank that we have billions worth of stock in order to secure a further advance on the business overdraft, or do we genuinely believe that is worth anything at all?

Who is the plastic guy with his arm akimbo?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Nudging his mate and whispering ‘look, some misguided punter is actually looking at the ad for this pile of sh1te’ maybe?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Who is Akimbo? Is that Robinson Crusoe's mate Friday's real name? 

No, I can't imagine Daniel Defoe deciding that his hero is going to be like a football fan who goes to an Indian restaurant and calls everyone Abdul...

Seriously though I first came across the word akimbo when I was about seven in the children's book Worzel Gummidge by Barbara Euphan Todd and being a strange child I looked it up in the dictionary...

Always found footie fans morals a bit odd, slag off everyone else in the world, drink French German Spanish and Italian beer, wear German Adidas clothing, German Boss aftershave, Italian Armani jeans and then pay a possible illegal immigrant and unqualified cook from Bangladesh £30 in cash for a meal...

Edited by MrWolf
Further thoughts
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Got a bit of a story.

Screenshot_20230206-175903.png.f8903bcdc73fcfaa1723c9ab59d4d1fc.png

Screenshot_20230206-180749.png.f2e5a55a67a319db7054aff873b98ec3.png

So I was left thinking that this was the model I'd ordered and eBay sent the wrong email or the person who was supposed to send me the J72, sent me this instead.

However, 3hrs ago I got this email:

Screenshot_20230206-181157.png.e24384b19c566d81c6b559193c2e31e6.png

These are the guys who were supposed to send me the J72. What's the parcel? The J72 I didn't receive on Sunday. 

So I'm now guessing the model I got yesterday is the model of 75029 I've ordered and eBay sent me the wrong email by mistake.

The shiny wheel rims suggest that this is a very early Bachmann, the same as the old Mainline model.  Bachmann in a quite short time produced redesigned split collection chassis for the locos it had inherited from ML, with a can motor, worm drive and idler gear transmission; I have a 43xx from this period and it is a very good and quiet runner cf the Mainline pancake motor/spur gears affair, but of course I have to be very gentle as it retains the wobbly ML half-shafts and potential quartering problems, and the flimsy plastic slide bars.  I might try replacing these with Hornby.

I had a cab ride from Bristol TM to Bath Green Park on the prototype in 1963 or 4, with a very friendly S&DJ crew who let me put a couple of rounds on the fire, work the injectors, and drive a bit.  This was from the original Brunel hammerbeam terminus and tender first, and the loco was creditably clean!

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2

13 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The shiny wheel rims suggest that this is a very early Bachmann, the same as the old Mainline model.  Bachmann in a quite short time produced redesigned split collection chassis for the locos it had inherited from ML, with a can motor, worm drive and idler gear transmission; I have a 43xx from this period and it is a very good and quiet runner cf the Mainline pancake motor/spur gears affair, but of course I have to be very gentle as it retains the wobbly ML half-shafts and potential quartering problems, and the flimsy plastic slide bars.  I might try replacing these with Hornby.

I had a cab ride from Bristol TM to Bath Green Park on the prototype in 1963 or 4, with a very friendly S&DJ crew who let me put a couple of rounds on the fire, work the injectors, and drive a bit.  This was from the original Brunel hammerbeam terminus and tender first, and the loco was creditably clean!

Where is the "We are not worthy!" button.

By the time I was born all that was gone. That must have been a lot of fun.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I was at a model railway exhibition recently and going through mountains of books that I probably don't need but can't resist and the next stall had several boxes of random tatty buildings for £1 each on the floor.

A chap came up, borrowed the stallholders chair and went through the boxes meticulously and placed about a dozen or more items on top of the stall.

"How much for the lot?" He asked.

"I'll knock a bit off (a good 20%+) and do you the lot for £10" said the stallholder.

"I'll think about it." Said the bloke and walked off.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Where is the "We are not worthy!" button.

By the time I was born all that was gone. That must have been a lot of fun.

Well, it wasn't like that all the time, but it was certainly fun and sometimes immense fun.  I used to get the occasional cab ride on the Penrhos banker, Radyr job, usually a 94xx, Penrhos Jc being a favourite bike ride for me and the lads on a summer evening in the mid-60s.  There was a brakesmens' cabin there which was always good for a cuppa, and they were rather flattered that we took any interest in their little corner of the railway, as were the crews on the banker.  Best one was a brake van ride, propelled from Penrhos over Walnut Tree viaduct on the Dolomite Works trip, Radyr again, with a 37, D68xx in those days.  Cab ride back to Penrhos.

NCB were good fun as well, in the years following the end of steam on the WR.  Driving experience at Talywaun on a big Andrew Barclay, firing on 9600 at Merthyr Vale, cab rides at Maesteg on Austerities and Mountain Ash on Sir Gomer, and then, 1969, at Coed Ely on a Saturday afternoon after a light engine trip down to the top end of Llantrisant yard stop board and back for no other purpose than what the Irish call the feck of it, 'ok, if you're so keen, you can dispose of it, we're going over the club to watch the football'.  This involved moving the loco unsupervised from the ash pit into the shed, very naughty indeed, and we did this several times because I was nervous that the water level would drop before the fire died down... Left it properly as instructed, water in boiler, mid gear, regulator closed, and handbrake on.  Thirsty work, so we considered it necessary to visit the club to re-assure the crew that we hadn't wrecked their Austerity before the insanely fast cycle ride home downhill along Llantrisant Road...

Trick was to keep away from the main lines and seek out the forgotten corners, where the railwaymen were glad you'd taken an interest and were able to let you do things away from the prying gaze of authority.  But those days are long gone now, and I'm glad to have experienced them.  One of the boys' fathers was a shipping agent, and he managed to get us a couple of school summer holiday trips as 'deck hands' on a coaster, Barry Steam Navigation Company's MV Luminance (their ships all ended in 'ance'), a 200tonner carrying power station coal out of Barry, one to Hayle in Cornwall and another to New Ross in Ireland.  Great trips and huge fun, everybody on board being friendly and we enjoyed ourselves hugely, again, impossible now and a bit dodgy then, but you could get away with these experiences and plenty more. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I was at a model railway exhibition recently and going through mountains of books that I probably don't need but can't resist and the next stall had several boxes of random tatty buildings for £1 each on the floor.

A chap came up, borrowed the stallholders chair and went through the boxes meticulously and placed about a dozen or more items on top of the stall.

"How much for the lot?" He asked.

"I'll knock a bit off (a good 20%+) and do you the lot for £10" said the stallholder.

"I'll think about it." Said the bloke and walked off.

I was at a flea market one morning and a guy had three crates of Tamiya R/C cars, petrol and battery, radio gear plus spares galore. A bloke was haggling over the price straight away which, at first, i couldn't make out. There came an empasse, at which i stepped in and asked "How much?" "£5 the lot, it's got to go today!" I gave him the fiver. The other bloke stepped back in and asked if he would take his £3. "Sorry", he said, "I've sold it", as he helped me to the car with it..... Honestly, hundreds of pounds of stuff and he's worrying over two quid!

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, 33C said:

I was at a flea market one morning and a guy had three crates of Tamiya R/C cars, petrol and battery, radio gear plus spares galore. A bloke was haggling over the price straight away which, at first, i couldn't make out. There came an empasse, at which i stepped in and asked "How much?" "£5 the lot, it's got to go today!" I gave him the fiver. The other bloke stepped back in and asked if he would take his £3. "Sorry", he said, "I've sold it", as he helped me to the car with it..... Honestly, hundreds of pounds of stuff and he's worrying over two quid!

I don't doubt it for a minute. I had a similar result last summer at a car boot. A wicker log basket more than half full of 50s and 60s Dinky and Corgi cars and vans most in surprisingly good nick. The stallholder wanted £20, the haggler was adamant all he was giving was £10 and started walking away, I presume expecting the stallholder to call him back, but I had already picked up the basket and held out a twenty.

I had a similar experience with a banana box full of grubby old motorcycle service books and parts lists, some of which dated back to the twenties. We often have a quick zoom round car boots before going out for the day. I'd say eighty percent of the time we come back empty handed, other times we could have done with the van version of our Triumph Herald or modern motorbikes with the big metal panniers designed to make the neighbours think that you ride to Tibet and back at weekends.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Everything is odd about this one, the price, the pictures, the livery, the description and finally the shape of the two end windows...

Right, I'm off back to sleep!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285027831651?

Or maybe it's the Graham Farish version of a clerestory? But yes, the end windows look odd!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1