Connnecting Kato and Peco N track

I'm in the final stages of planning my layout. Its been a long time coming - I built the baseboards about 18 months ago, and have two connected loops of Kato track. Sometimes I just like to see trains going past as I sit and watch the tv in the study.

However, I'm considering something more adventurous, and rather than all fixed lengths of Kato set-track I'm wanting a gentle sweeping curve along the front of the layout, but to keep the Kato points and track for the hidden sidings.

Is it possible to join Peco code 55 track to Kato track? I'm aware that there will be a difference in the height of the sleepers from the baseboard, but will there be a problem with the rail height - the height difference from rail joiner to the top of the running surface.

Can Peco electrofrog points be operated in the short term without a SPDT switch for the frogs? I#m aware of the requirement to isolate the two inner tracks at the toe end. I will wire them up eventually once I decide on a track plan, but in deciding I usually have a few goes and like to see how things run before I start fastening the track down.

George

• RMweb Gold

Is it possible to join Peco code 55 track to Kato track? I'm aware that there will be a difference in the height of the sleepers from the baseboard, but will there be a problem with the rail height - the height difference from rail joiner to the top of the running surface

Yes you can if you use the 20-045

http://www.kato-unitrack.co.uk/kato-n-unitrack-introduction-page-793-0.html

post-6968-12603501476945_thumb.jpg

Can Peco electrofrog points be operated in the short term without a SPDT switch for the frogs? I#m aware of the requirement to isolate the two inner tracks at the toe end. I will wire them up eventually once I decide on a track plan, but in deciding I usually have a few goes and like to see how things run before I start fastening the track down.

Yes, they'll work just fine out of the box as long as you wire the whole layout as per the supplied instructions. Switches and the like are just a belt & braces approach so that you're not relying on switchblade/rail contact for continuity.

Archived