What's a suitable photograph-based book for the LMS?

Dave777

I'm after something along the lines of 'Blue Diesel Days' or 'Seventies Spotting Days' for the LMS (ie, couple of photos per page, decent caption for each). Everything I've found so far seems to be more of a 'history of the LMS' type book. I'm just after photos really that show what the railway generally looked like and perhaps the immediate areas beyond the boundary fence in the 1930s.

Anything suitable that's heavily bias towards photos and less on the history side of things? Thanks for any recommendations.

"An LMS Miscellany", a three volume set by Nelson Twells and published by OPC might suit. They're just photo albums containing a large number of images of all aspects of the LMS

'Miscellany' really says it all.

Copies available on eBay. The volumes are not themed, each one is just a random collection.

Edit: Name corrected as following post correctly suggested.

Hi Dave,

I don't know how these books compare to the "Diesel" volumes you mention in post 1, but the " LMS Miscellany Series" recommended by Arthur contain a lot of good reference photographs of the LMS and are well worth looking out for. They are quality books from OPC in the 1980s.

Two single volume books that also look at the LMS in more general terms are;

Portrait of the LMS, by V.R.Anderson, R.J.Essery & D. Jenkinson, Peco Publications, 1971.

LMS Reflections, A Collection of photographs from the BBC Hulton Picture Library, Bob Essery & Nigel Harris, Silver Link, 1986.

All the best, John.

• RMweb Premium

Another good generic book on the LMS is LMS 150: A Century & a half of Progress.

9780862880712 ISBN 13

0862880718 ISBN 10

It does contain a fair amount of history, but in a different format.

There seem to be few generic books around of quality. Titles by authors from the LMS Society tend to be themed, lots on stations, architecture, MPD's, coaching stock, wagons, signalling etc. Also for pre-group LMS subjects.

Kevin Martin

Archived