Lenz

Hi there,

First of all, I am a dinosaur when it comes to DCC so bear with me please!

I currently use the Hornby Select controller, other members say that it is a horrendous controller but I've never been sure what to upgrade to. After doing some research on the internet I really haven't got any further. The Lenz systems seem to be fairly popular with exhibition layouts (especially then Lenz 100), what would be involved in converting my layout to use a Lenz system, and what sort of cost would be involved? Would I need to change all the Decoders in my locomotives which are all Hornby ones just now?

Thanks, James

• RMweb Gold

The short answer is disconnect the Select, connect the Lenz command station and you are in business.

After that you might wish to add sockets around the layout to move the handset around or run extra handsets but you can run it as it comes.

You won't need to change any decoders - if they will work on the Select they will work on the Lenz (or Gaugemaster Prodigy, Digitrax, NCE., ECoS, etc.).

Cost?

You need a Start Set 90 or Start Set 100 (with the LH100 handset) plus a matching transformer.

Lenz list prices:

Start Set 90 = £289.60

Start Set 100 = £325.60

TR100 Transformer (3A) = £47.45

TR150 Transformer (4.5A) = £64.90

Shop around and you can get them for less than that.

Hi James,

Welcome to DCC! I use the Lenz 100 system on my exhibition layout with over 100 locos in use & it works brilliantly. Go for the 100 as it has everything you will need to run most layouts and the cost isn't that much more than the 90. Go onto the Modelmarket website as they have some of the best prices for Lenz in the UK, they are offical retailers for Lenz UK. http://www.modelmarket.co.uk/ they have the 100 set at the moment for £285-00, I would suggest you use the TR150 5amp transformer which is 5amp and costs around £55-00. This is powerful enough for most home use and of course (as I have done) you can, at a later add such things as the LV102 booster. All your decoders should work as with Hornby DCC but can a suggest if you do go down the Lenz route you start buying their decoders. They are so much better than the Hornby/Bachmann versions, the standard+ is all you need and costs around £16-£17. Give Andy Rhodes a call at Modelmarket he's a really helpful guy and will sort you out. Don't forget if you do go Lenz you can sell on your Hornby system which will help soften the cost a little, I would try Ebay as there is always someone looking for them.

Cheers

silverlink

• RMweb Premium

You need a Start Set 90 or Start Set 100 (with the LH100 handset) plus a matching transformer.

Lenz list prices:

Start Set 90 = £289.60

Start Set 100 = £325.60

Hi

I would suggest going and trying the two controllers out. I found the LH90 difficult to use for controlling points and changing locomotives (I have used one several times at an exhibition) and the LH100 is not as good at shunting moves but is much easier to control accessories and change locos.

In the end I bought a Multimaus to supplement my LH100 with my Lenz command station and I just use the LH100 for programming these days.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

The signal that reaches the track is a standard and everything beyond that point (locos, points, coaches) is supposed to respond appropriately to that signal (look for the words NMRA Standard).

The bits that supply the signal are whatever the manufacturer can get away with proprietary design. Throttles are not designed to operate with different makes of base units. There are some brands that are compatible because they are made by the same factory.

Ask at the local club and at exhibitions if you can try their controllers. If you are with a local group, it may be worth using their brand as they will be able to help you with it.

The short answer is disconnect the Select, connect the Lenz command station and you are in business.

After that you might wish to add sockets around the layout to move the handset around or run extra handsets but you can run it as it comes.

You won't need to change any decoders - if they will work on the Select they will work on the Lenz (or Gaugemaster Prodigy, Digitrax, NCE., ECoS, etc.).

Cost?

Lenz list prices:

Start Set 90 = £289.60

Start Set 100 = £325.60

Gaugemaster do there own version of a AC Power unit for DCC and the cost is £38 ish and I believe it could have been made by Lenz

Archived