Seacow, Dogfish,........or both?!

As promised, the 37 - shark sandwich! (if you're gonna show it off, do it properly!)

The limpets and 37 could do with a light weather, i'd like 2 more sealions or seacows, and the wagons could do with a load but i feel it looks the part anyway. Thanks guys for all the advice.

post-9147-0-81283800-1359294465_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I am fairly certain there was some divider in the hoppers as it was possible, though not common,

for a wagon to be part unloaded by only opening one set of doors at one end.

Here is a crop of a picture previously posted, not conclusive but showing that it does not come to the top.

post-7081-0-21424200-1359916544.jpg

A mixed train of empty sealions and seacows at Crediton heading for Meldon Quarry, 3/10/83

cheers

edit - try this picture at Tonbridge West Yard

www.flickr.com/photos/mikecubberley/8405681360/

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Why? why would you do this to me? Just when i think i know what i want out of a train the dogfish returns! (Was the train in that order and with no other brake van after the last Dogfish? I think i could still fit in 4 dog fish rather than 2 more sealions)

• Like 1

Why? why would you do this to me? Just when i think i know what i want out of a train the dogfish returns! (Was the train in that order and with no other brake van after the last Dogfish? I think i could still fit in 4 dog fish rather than 2 more sealions)

Yes in that order and the wagons all appear to be full.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

they look ok to me?

That wasn't the reason....i just can't remember what the real reason was.

I'm torn, by the end of the week this train should be complete, but do i get another pair of brand new Hornby Seacows, or a pair of cheaper Lima Seacows to detail up and add variation to the set?

• Like 1

Going back in time a little to page 3 and the below post, it was pointed out a little after that post that the Lima bogies are incorrect, they should be Gloucester bogies, available from Cambrian. Looking at the Cambrian site

http://www.cambrianmodels.co.uk/4mmbogies.html the gloucester bogies look more like the Lima ones than the Hornby ones. Am i missing something here?!

here are a couple of photos of my Hornby next my Lima seacows

i can see the difference in Bogies and the Hornby railings are taller than the Lima ones

attachicon.gifIMG_4160.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4163.JPG

• Like 1

The new tooled Hornby and Lima models represent vehicles built at different times, which had different bogies.  The Lima model (and also the Bachmann model) represent the batch built from 1971, which had riveted construction and were mounted on Gloucester bogies.  The newly tooled Hornby model represents the later variants, which entered service from 1981.  These are welded construction and are mounted on Y27 bogies. 

I'm not an expert on bogies, but I understand that the bogies under the Lima model are actually a European prototype, which have a passing resemblance to the Gloucester type rather than actually being the correct type.  As far as I am aware the Y27 bogies on the newly tooled Hornby model are of the correct pattern for the welded versions, as are the Gloucester type under the Bachmann model.  I'm not sure about the bogies under Hornby's reissue of the former Lima model: I don't know if Hornby corrected them or continue to use the incorrect Lima bogies.

References to Sealion and Seacow refer to the braking not the build dates.  Sealions were dual braked (air and AFI vacuum) whereas Seacows are air braked only (although originally built with a through vacuum pipe).  The article at http://www.ltsv.com/w_profile_012.php may be of interest.

Regards

David

• Like 4

After the introduction of seacows in 1981 they were regularly found mixed in trains with sealions on the Western Region

so there is a prototype if you want to run them together.

I was looking to find an example of a mixed sealion/seacow rake and have failed so far.

However having said mixed rakes of sealions and dogfish were rare on the Western Region I did find this:-

post-7081-0-74621900-1365599383_thumb.jpg

37181 at Park Junction Newport with a loaded train from Machen Quarry, 2 sealions bring up the rear, 25/9/86

cheers

• Like 6