Seacow, Dogfish,........or both?!

I'd forgotten about this so a quick update:

To go with the pair of limpets and the shark i managed to pick up (second hand of course!) a pair of weathered Hornby Seacows (lions? can't remember without looking) and keeping my eye out for a couple more.

I've also found my old brown Hornby brake van so cheap dogfish are back on the table!

Limpets and Dogfish in one train strikes me as rather unlikely. As that would make for an unbraked train and Limpets were quite a late arrival perhaps after Class 9 trains had finished.

Sealions and Dogfish with a plough at the back is possible, but the two types were generally used differently and kept seperate.

On a large relaying job your first train of hoppers for the quick and dirty first fill would be catfish and Dogfish generally randomly mixed.

Then you would have a train of Sealions, and or Seacows for the tidying up as you have better control of how the stone is unloaded with those wagons. If the wagon supervisor had them available both trains would have a Shark, if not it would be on the second train and you would plough the ballast from the first train with the plough brake on the second.

Edited by Trog
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Part fitted trains ran into the early 90's, don't forget the mermaids made by flangways (I think the company is called) althought these are quite dear. Most vac brake wagons for engineers trains moved to Scotland in the late 90's early 2000's. just remember not to put a 56 on the front of dogfish as they have not vac brakes lol

I've now got a Limpet. Can I run this with Seacows? Cheers.

From what i could work out from all of this i think so. I've got a pair of Limpets and a pair of Sealions between the 37 and the Shark so far and i'm watching ebay for another 3 sealions to complete the setup. I don't know if there's ever been a prototype train like that but it looks right to me, and if it looks right then i'm happy. I'll throw on a picture at some point.

Edited by Satan's Goldfish
  • Like 1

From what i could work out from all of this i think so. I've got a pair of Limpets and a pair of Sealions between the 37 and the Shark so far and i'm watching ebay for another 3 sealions to complete the setup. I don't know if there's ever been a prototype train like that but it looks right to me, and if it looks right then i'm happy. I'll throw on a picture at some point.

sure you will soon be told if its wrong :no:

• Like 1

Yes, that would be OK, limpets and sealions are airbraked and your shark is a ZUA (airbraked) as well so you could run that lot in any order 

cheers

• Like 1

Yes, that would be OK, limpets and sealions are airbraked and your shark is a ZUA (airbraked) as well so you could run that lot in any order 

cheers

Am i right in thinking then that the sealions would have brand new ballest in ready to lay, and the limpets would have some shoveled up old ballast being taken away?

Am i right in thinking then that the sealions would have brand new ballest in ready to lay, and the limpets would have some shoveled up old ballast being taken away?

Generally I think that would be correct, sealions were always used for new clean ballast.

Limpets mostly conveyed spent ballast/spoil, though I think they may also have been sometimes used for new ballast,

in which case they would be to provide the base level of new ballast before the track went in, and would be grab discharged.

If your train was going to a work site the sealions would be loaded and the limpets empty, to load spoil.

If it was returning from the site the sealions would now be empty, and the limpets would now be loaded with spent ballast/spoil.

If your train was a midweek move running between engineers yards conveying wagons between jobs then you could have

sealions of ballast and limpets of spent ballast in the same train, or they could all be empties, that would be your choice,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 2

One Saturday night big relaying job at Kentish Town on the NLL. Worked out to site a train of Whales and a Shark with the ballast to drop (a Postal 47 I recall?). One line had been lifted already and we were brought in on the other and held there. The line was lifted in front of us and then the good news came in, we were supposed to be the last train in to drop the ballast! The train with the track panels was behind us and the train with the diggers, cranes and flatrols with diggers behind that. Handbrake on and shut the engine down and away home after about 3 hours. Think the line was shut for two days while they rearranged everything.

Edited by Calimero
  • Like 1

One Saturday night big relaying job at Kentish Town on the NLL. Worked out to site a train of Whales and a Shark with the ballast to drop (a Postal 47 I recall?). One line had been lifted already and we were brought in on the other and held there. The line was lifted in front of us and then the good news came in, we were supposed to be the last train in to drop the ballast! The train with the track panels was behind us and the train with the diggers, cranes and flatrols with diggers behind that. Handbrake on and shut the engine down and away home after about 3 hours. Think the line was shut for two days while they rearranged everything.

i love it when a plan comes together! :scratchhead:

Generally I think that would be correct, sealions were always used for new clean ballast.

cheers

There are exceptions to everything, and very occasionally back in the days of BR when it was possible to do unusual things without six months of meetings before hand. If a section of track with good ballast was to be relayed, say after a derailment running onto new track. The spoil train would be replaced with a train of empty hoppers usually dog and catfish. The good existing stone could then be loaded up to keep it out of the way during the relaying, then returned to the track once the sleepers had been changed.

• Like 1

One thing to mention about LIma (and Hornby ex-Lima) sealions/seacows is the end handrail is too high IIRC. The top tier needs to be taken off. Cambrian do replacement bogies (C37 'Gloucester' bogies).

Do they look a bit odd next to lions/cows from different manufacturers? So i've got 3 Hornby Sealions, will be keeping an eye out for 2 more from any manufacturer at the Erith show at the end of the month to complete this train.

Ta

• Like 1

Do they look a bit odd next to lions/cows from different manufacturers? So i've got 3 Hornby Sealions, will be keeping an eye out for 2 more from any manufacturer at the Erith show at the end of the month to complete this train.

Ta

If you were to place an older Lima version of the sealion next to the Bachmann one, you would notice that the end railing on the Bachmann one is lower. Also the bogies on the Bachmann one are different in that the Lima one has American style bogies, whereas the Bachmann has Gloucester bogies which are correct for these hoppers as built. The re-released Hornby (ex-Lima) sealions have Gloucester bogies (along with the OHLE safety cages on the end platform, although the end railing is still too high).

• Like 1

Well hopefully i'll get a quick chance to look around before the show starts, but if anyone at Erith notices a pair of second hand 'Dutch' lions or cows on a traders stand from any manufacturers then please pop over to Warren Lane and let me know (i'll be the one in the green polo shirt.........)

Cheers for all the good info guys.

If you were to place an older Lima version of the sealion next to the Bachmann one, you would notice that the end railing on the Bachmann one is lower. Also the bogies on the Bachmann one are different in that the Lima one has American style bogies, whereas the Bachmann has Gloucester bogies which are correct for these hoppers as built. The re-released Hornby (ex-Lima) sealions have Gloucester bogies (along with the OHLE safety cages on the end platform, although the end railing is still too high).

here are a couple of photos of my Hornby next my Lima seacows

i can see the difference in Bogies and the Hornby railings are taller than the Lima ones

post-11924-0-36026000-1358685384_thumb.jpg

post-11924-0-48712400-1358685377_thumb.jpg

Don't know if it's just an illusion of the picture but the body of the lima wagon looks lower too.

Edit: and the ribbing looks different too. Was there different types on different batches or is one more accurate than the other?

Edited by Satan's Goldfish

Guest jim s-w

The Hornby one represents the later welded seacows, the lima one the earlier rivetted ones (although its bogies are wrong, they should be the gloucester type (available from Cambrian)

HTH

Jim

• Like 1