The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What killed the pigeon?

Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

I was right - BBC Springwatch

Can now confirm Winterwatch will be at 9pm on 22 Feb, BBC Two. Hope to see you then... (It's a Wednesday night so you've really no excuse!)"

Springwatch 2011 spent a lot of time at our local tip filming the foxes, so they would probably think the world isn't ready for more Essex foxwatching! Our local foxes probably survive on the food that the children at the nearby school drop on the field. We think most of the foxes live in the school grounds. Perhaps half term has forced them out into gardens.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I have a solution to fox problems involving a certain amount of black powder and a small piece of lead.

I've read somewhere that pepper can deter rodents, didn't know it worked on foxes. Does the lead stop it blowing away?

Very tangential to this topic, the following is about with how pigeons sometimes die...

I worked for McAlpines back in '67- '68 building a new jetty in Whitstable harbour.

As part of the contract we had to demolish a low concrete seawall using dynamite.

Now just as the explosive technician was pushing the plunger, a passing pigeon, came to investigate and alighted on one of the charges.

And whereupon it promptly disintegrated in a shower of bits and feathers.

There was something 'Wiley Coyote' about this incident that had us all laughing for weeks...

Rather macabre and once again off-topic. I saw a similar thing happen at Hamburg station.

A pigeon, which had alighted on the catenary was somewhat slow getting airborne as a train pulled into the station and learned the hard way that 15KV doesn't do you a lot of good.

There was a crack like a rifle shot which caused everyone to look round. All that remained was a cloud of feathers, some of which were smoking and burning, fluttering to the ground.

• RMweb Premium

A similar thing happened to a pigeon at Southend about 20-25 years ago. It was perching on some BT telephone wires above the 25KV lines and did what pigeons are notorious for doing. The inevitable result was that the telephone line (normally 50volt DC) received 25KV via the pigeon and putting the telephones out of action for more than a day. I would not like to receive 25KV where the pigeon got his! :O

Archived