Hattons 10000

oldknotty

• RMweb Gold

My Twins have been fitted with Howes decoders. Asked Howes to provide rectangular 23mm x 40mm speakers which they did but, as you can see, what they provided was way to big to fit in the space provided by Dapol:

post-586-0-79051200-1329760888.jpg

Dapol, however, suggested to me a speaker provided by DCC Supplies, but not really wanting to deal with DCC Supplies, I decided to turn the speaker supplied and attached to the decoder by Howes upside down and imbed it in white tack:

post-586-0-82701800-1329760901.jpg

Have since tidied the installation up a bit but even without the tidying up the sound is great and I don't think at this point in time I'll bother changing to the speaker sold by DCC Supplies.

Keith

The hole in the bottom looks suspiciously like the position of the centre back of the speaker. Does it not down on the Dapol platorm aiming up the way? If anything the Dapol platform looks too shallow? Have you tried removing the Dapol 'thing' and then seeing how much space you are left with? I suspect you might get the 20x40 back box (possibly shaved down a few mm?) in the space? As suggested the 20 x 40 bass enhanced from DCC supplies also looks like it would fit?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gridwatcher,

Had thought about what you suggested but problem is the position of the fan housing which seems to be firmly stuck in place (not like screwed in on some Bachmann diesels) and would get in the way of the speaker enclosure without some surgery. Think this picture shows what I mean:

post-586-0-49376500-1329829984.jpg

The fan housing also looks to be a sealed moulding with no holes to let the sound out. That's why I fitted the speaker facing downwards which, I think, lets out more sound. It's also much easier to fit although I did get some plasticard sheet to box in the back of the speaker.

Would like to post a video but not yet sussed out how to make use of u-tube or whatever.....still living in the dark ages in this respect :scratchhead: .

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

In regards to the upside down speaker with the white tack, you don't want open edges close to the speaker frame because the sound waves will leak around top to bottom and cancel each other out. You might find that if you also seal the edges on the small sides of the rectangular speaker, it will sound even better.

If I was to do this, with the 20x40 bass enhanced speaker without the box, I'd do the following. Toss the black Dapol speaker frame and get a nice stiff piece of plastic sheet. Cut it into a rectangle with a rectangular hole in the middle. The yellow "baffle" superimposed on your photo illustrates the point I'm trying to get across. This approach would really help separate the upper and lower halves of the locomotive, which you are using as your speaker enclosure...

post-14637-0-25027500-1332293456.jpg

Archived