AWS Ramps - Photos of GW versions?

• RMweb Premium

I know that Peco make an AWS ramp - how different to the GWR ones are these?

Does anyone have a photo comparison?

Would the Peco versions be acceptable for a 1940s GW layout?

Thanks in advance.

• RMweb Gold

This site has a picture of a GWR ATC (it was called Automatic Train Control by the GWR, and BR continued for a while that to use that in order to distinguish it from the BR system) - the GW ramp was, from memory. 40feet long and had an inverted fishbelly shape with an inverted 'T' shape strip of (I think) steel on top which physically made contact with the shoe on the loco in order to conduct (or not conduct) an electric current.

Totally different in concept from BR AWS (which is based on magnetic induction and the only similarity between the two is that the track based element of it is mounted centrally in the four foot - at that point all physical similarity ceases.

Edit to add clarification of one item

That second photograph is interesting. Excuse my ignorance, I'm too young to remember the GW system, but was that the normal position for the ramp or were they normally situated on the approach side of signals like their modern counterparts?

• RMweb Gold

That second photograph is interesting. Excuse my ignorance, I'm too young to remember the GW system, but was that the normal position for the ramp or were they normally situated on the approach side of signals like their modern counterparts?

For isolated Distant signals, the ramps were positioned on the approach side, originally 440yards, which it remained for semaphores, then reduced to 200 yards for colour lights. In MAS areas the ramp would be at the standard position as for BR AWS.

Where there was a lower Distant arm combined with a Stop signal (Home or Starter) in Absolute Block areas, the ramp was immediately after passing the signal. In this case the ramp would only be energised if both the Home and Distant arms were Off.

Edit - Managed to Invisible Ink me just as I was posting.

• RMweb Premium

That is a great photo - many thanks. So many small detail items in there that add the "life" to something modelled - but easily forgotten - tiny steps at the end of the platform, mixed freight running tender first, water drains to cranes - one with and one without shield.

Thanks all for your assistance - nothing like the BR versions then, but an easy item to model.

Archived