German steam loco numbers & check digits

• RMweb Gold

Having recently bought a loco that was unique but intended to be the first of a larger class I want to number it as though they had been built so I started looking at what the number would be.

This loco is an Harzer Schmalspur 2-6-2 number 99 6001-4

099 = narrow gauge (though the 0 isn't shown on the locos)

6001 = loco number

4 = check digit

I've searched various sites and they say the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th numbers should each be multiplied by 2 and added together. in this case 20

It then says the 2nd, 4th and 6th should be added and the result added to the sum of the odd numbers result. In this case 15

The difference between this sum (35) and the next multiple of ten (50) should be the check number.

Apply this to 99 6001-4 and it says the check digit should be 5 not 4!

Does anyone know if it's a different system on the HSB as even taking the difference from 9 rather than 10 it's still not correct for the other locos.

While it would be easy to put any old number as the check digit I just wondered if there's a way of accurately following the system ;)

• RMweb Gold

Yes it's based on it but doesn't appear to follow it rigidly. I've got the country code 80 but some sites say DB only use the 7 digits while others say it uses 11 and I can't find the other numbers to see if they make a difference. Even using 80-99-6001-4 works for this loco but not with the HSB 2-10-2's eg 99-7236-5 sum using 80 99-7236 is 71 meaning the check digit would be 9 not 5. Confused would be an accurate description as I've found three solutions for UIC, DR and DB and they work for some locos but not others!

I know the 2-10-2's had the 7 prefix added to show metre gauge but is this what throws the system out as the other steam locos number all have 6 or 5 as the first digit of the group of 4 digits.

Having recently bought a loco that was unique but intended to be the first of a larger class I want to number it as though they had been built so I started looking at what the number would be.

This loco is an Harzer Schmalspur 2-6-2 number 99 6001-4

099 = narrow gauge (though the 0 isn't shown on the locos)

6001 = loco number

4 = check digit

I've searched various sites and they say the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th numbers should each be multiplied by 2 and added together. in this case 20

It then says the 2nd, 4th and 6th should be added and the result added to the sum of the odd numbers result. In this case 15

The difference between this sum (35) and the next multiple of ten (50) should be the check number.

Apply this to 99 6001-4 and it says the check digit should be 5 not 4!

Does anyone know if it's a different system on the HSB as even taking the difference from 9 rather than 10 it's still not correct for the other locos.

While it would be easy to put any old number as the check digit I just wondered if there's a way of accurately following the system ;)

Hi Paul,

first its the other way round, the 2nd, 4th and 6th number is doubled.

Then, you shouldn't treat the locomotive class with prefixed 0. 4-digit loco number is a relict from locomotive classification system of DRG (between the world wars), which isn't used any longer on the main line system since then. To calculate the check digit correctly, you have to use a 6-digit number compulsory:

9  9  6  0  0  1
x1  2  1  2  1  2

__

Difference to 30 is 4.

Regards,

Felix

And do you know what the reason is? ^_^

not doubled numbers:

0, 2, 4, 6 and 8 are even

1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 are odd.

doubled numbers:

0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16 and 18 would be even, hence splitting the higher half in two digits produces:

0, 2, 4, 6, 8 are even

1+0, 1+2, 1+4, 1+6 and 1+8 are odd.

Thus even and odd numbers are again the same amount.

Felix

• 4 weeks later...

To be honest, I find the EDV/computer renumbering system confusing, particularly if loco classes had more than 999 members, e.g. ex-KPEV "P8", Br.44, Br.50.

Since the new computer numbering scheme all 4-digit numbers have been renumbered to abolish the 4th digit.

For example the Baureihe 50 became Baureihe 050, 051, 052 and 053 after '68 in Western Germany, although Baureihe 52 previously was the Kriegslok of which none have survived at this time. Read more here: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DRB-Baureihe_50

Sorry if those narrow gauge look-alike numbering scheme has confused you. Narrow gauge locos aren't in the Fahrzeugeinstellungsregister, the official german "list" of locos, and therefore their numbers aren't really standardised.

Felix

Since the new computer numbering scheme all 4-digit numbers have been renumbered to abolish the 4th digit.

But the DR in the former DDR had a fourth digit for EDV - hence "01 0509", "02 0201".

For example the Baureihe 50 became Baureihe 050, 051, 052 and 053 after '68 in Western Germany...

I think I understood what was done for the Br 41 (where 041 denoted a coal-fired engine, and 042 denoted oil burning) and Br.50. What really threw me was the computer re-numbering of the P8 / Br.38.10-40 where everything got grouped into "038 xxx-x"

Archived