Hornby Flying Scotsman A1 Class

southernelectric

The 'Clan Line' loco in the VSOE set is a super-detailed version first produced around 2000, a very good model but not quite as brilliant as later super-detail models of other locos... it's still a fantastic model..

The 'Evening Star' model you mention will be a Railroad version. Hornby don't make a super-detail 9F, Bachmann do. The Hornby model is pretty good.

The Hornby 'Flying Scotsman' Gresley A1/3s which cause so much confusion are in two main types; Railroad versions which were tender drive from 1998 to 2007, and loco drive after that, and a super-detail version started in 2005, which is the more expensive and highly detailed version, there are about 20 versions of the latter, and about 20 versions of the older tender drive versions (which were until 2007 the standard Hornby model), and three (edit; 5 or 6) loco drive Railroad-spec 'Flying Scotsman' versions:

R2675 (sold on its own 2007-11)

R1072 (round dome, corridor tender, ex set 2007-10)

and R1152 (banjo dome, standard tender, ex set ? 2011) (source, Ramsays Guide 7th Ed.)

and (edit) R2974M 'Legend Series' limited edition round dome corridor tender, and has sand pipes in front of middle driving wheel ... with special box 64 quid at one well known big retailer.

also R3086 round dome, corridor tender, no sand pipes, same price as above.

soon to come R1167 Flying Scotsman engine and three carriages, trainpack, Railroad Range.

There may have been production mixes in the last couple of years, but I doubt the super-detailed version was in a Flying Scotsman set. If the leaflet says 'super-detailed', it is the wrong leaflet (not unknown!) In fact they might have put a super-detailed leaflet in because the old tender-drive mechanism leaflet was unsuitable, and the loco-drive Railroad version is similar to the super-detail version in its mechanism if not every detail.

Production of the models often involves slight changes, additions, parts like sand pipes and brake rods are factory fitted sometimes, sometimes in accessory packs. Presumably production is in quite limited numbers and changes do occur at the factory from time to time. Looks like some of the detail like sand pipes has been applied to some recent Railroad versions

But the clear thing is that the Railroad versions of A1 or A3 do not have glazed windows or lamp irons on the front, fine valve gear and instruments in the cab, and the more open coal bunker in the tender.

They are all great models, and in my opinion and that of many others, the super-detailed A3 by Hornby is one of the finest British 00 RTR models ever made. The Railroad version with loco drive and the extra details you have is also an excellent model.

The smoke deflector version in the link from a previous contributor is a super-detail model.

Confusing, but lot's of fun. And I apologise if I got any details wrong... it's a hornet's nest, this detail!

Rob

Thank you Rob for a truly awesome post! I really appreciate the exhaustive detail you've provided here, BIG thank you. :good_mini:

So...I would like to now get my hands on a super-detailed LNER blue Mallard (easy enough as that's the current Hornby model), but also a "true" super-detailed Flying Scotsman.

The NRM model is seriously tempting, but I'm still put off by the smoke deflectors! I will buy one but only if I know they can be removed! Coldgunner was asking the same question in an earlier post on this thread, re the green version of the loco.

Do you know if the smoke deflectors can be removed on the current NRM green Flying Scotsman?

Also, I'm seeing a pre-order advert popping up for the NRM green Flying Scotsman on this site, but when I follow the link to the NRM online shop it says the loco is in stock! And no option to pre-order one?!

Everywhere else I've looked says the NRM green (R3099) is a pre-release. So is this a 2011 issue (R2441) of the loco showing as in stock at NRM's online store?

http://www.nrmshop.co.uk/models/product/311205/Hornby-flying-scotsman-model-apple-green-a3-lner.html

If so, will there be any discernable difference between the 2011 version in stock at NRM, and the forthcoming one?

The NRM model is seriously tempting, but I'm still put off by the smoke deflectors!.....

Do you know if the smoke deflectors can be removed on the current NRM green Flying Scotsman?

I've personally not attempted to remove the smoke deflectors from my Galtee More or The White Knight but have noticed a couple of examples of the latter (with the ears removed) for sale on Ebay recently (from Rails of Sheffield). It might still be worth a look. It appears that removing the deflectors will reveal two small locating holes on each side of the smoke box and a little patch of glue. It seems to me that the amount of glue varies from one model to another but should clean up quite easily. I'm fairly sure it would be one of those occasions when one should use as little force as possible and find out exactly how much afterwards. Most things are easier the second time.

RP

To add to the detailed post by Robmcg above I have been looking into this lately as well. I went to my local Modelzone and persuaded the chap there to unbox a Flying Scotsman from a set (R1072) and a Railroad model, so I could compare them. They are definitely different. The loco from the set is much more detailed in numerous small but significant ways most obvious being red lining of the LNER letters. The set version also comes with the 'Super detailing' pack in the box. However it is still not as detailed as the Expensive, stand alone R2441 loco. Confused? There are 3 levels of detailing available on the recent Flying Scotsman models: The basic Railroad model, the super detailed R2441 model, and the ones in the sets which are inbetween.

Incidentally Modelzone Holburn are currently selling the R1072 Flying Scotsman set which includes the DCC ready loco, 3 carriages and the oval track with two sidings for 99pounds. This strikes me as an excellent deal.

• RMweb Premium

Just to add to the fun (and confusion) , there's also R2974M - Flying Scotsman in the Class A1 guise (as originally built) in the 'Legends Series'. I learned through an enquiry under another thread on here that the moulding, chassis and motor are identical to the 'Railroad' model, but there is a little more detail to the paintwork, lining etc, and different packaging, with the result that it retails at a slightly higher price than the 'railroad version.

Hope that informs, rather than confusing the issue further !

Regards,

John

I can confirm that, I have three versions of flying scotsman, early 90's tender drive, 'Legends' and NRM black. The legends is basically the railroad tool with the wide tender and what I'd call prettyg good detail. I got mine for a little more than Railroad price at £58, so it was worth it. Theres also a similar version of Mallard.

Quick update: last week I got myself a super-detailed A3 Flying Scotsman in green from the NRM shop. This is Hornby catalogue number R3081. Presumably this is from last year's run? I got number 0984 of 1000.

As much I like the R1152 set version of the loco, the NRM version is clearly in a totally different class. What a truly sublime model. I was blown away by it when I first took it out of the box!

Smoke deflectors do come fitted on this model (to answer your earlier question, Coldgunner) and I'm not about to try and remove them! Strangely, they've grown on me.

Here are some pics from when I was testing it out on a little test layout I set up in the garage last weekend.

post-14068-0-02469100-1333035247_thumb.jpg

post-14068-0-87399900-1333035325_thumb.jpg

post-14068-0-56183000-1333036006_thumb.jpg

post-14068-0-81273600-1333035894_thumb.jpg

post-14068-0-29327700-1333035409_thumb.jpg

post-14068-0-40153400-1333035704_thumb.jpg

Archived