1940's goods yard ground cover - what would it look like?

I'm trying to make my layout look accurate and am currently wondering what ground cover would have been for a late 1940's goods yard, would the track have been balasted or have acquired an ash covering?

would it be inset into the ground?

if anyone has photos showing examples then I'd be very grateful

Thanks

Thanks for the photo,

The layout is set either in the north east peak district or the yorkshire dales, not sure if that would affect ground cover,

my plan is to ballast the track, and use finer ballast for the yard where vehicles and people would be moving around.

thinking cobbles is overdoing things for the size of yard.

The yard is alongside the station of my rural market town, It's a fictional layout and the scale is N if that affects anything?

Depends...... If your Sun in your natal chart is at 25 degrees Virgo, and Saturn is moving towards that same degree of Gemini (25 degrees of Gemini), Saturn is said to be transiting square your natal Sun. The Uranus energy brings a great need for spontaneity in your connection, and it is best to use 'N' gauge ballast. :read:

I spent most of my youth living between and visiting the yards in Blackburn and surrounding district. Islington EL Goods, near the station and Crook Street which was a large yard mostly dedicated to coal traffic with multiple sidings but most of the others, Mill Hill, Pleasington had just one or two. In all cases track was ballasted with ash with granite setts on roadways for motors vehicle access. I believe that this was pretty much universal in most yards. Makes sense, since rain and ash on an earth surface don't mix. I once got a good example of this when one of the drivers tried to take his Scammell through the yard to Havelock St. rather than the main gate on Duckworth St from the BRS depot. I learned a lot of new words that day as the depot crew unloaded the trailer they'd just finished in order to extracate him! But as Armchair Modeller advised, check the area you are modelling first!

• 3 years later...

Archived