Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

Crab with a Blue & Grey Mk2 anyone??????

http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/hobbs0008.jpg

LMS "Crab" 2-6-0 42942 near Llanerch, once an MOD siding, south of St.Asaph; heading for Denbigh, with 1Z36 the "Conway Valley Railtour" on the 24th September 1966 at about 4.30 pm.

From this website:
Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice example of the occasional exceptional longevity of the early lion and wheel crest, more than ten years after its sell by date.

John D

...and lined maroon coaches without a carriage roundel (1st and last - the third coach has one)...

As someone said on this thread about two years ago, we all took lot of photos of steam and largely ignored diesels and particularly DMUs but we even more rarely took photos of the rest of the railway except as background to the endless front three quarter views of locomotives, film was after all expensive.

For French railways one of the best sources of other photos have been those taken for the weekly Vie du Rail (railway life) magazine which was aimed at cheminots and their families rather than enthusiasts (it included TV listings, recipes and fashion) so had a lot more photos of rail workers doing their jobs and useful images like traders loading their carts in the goods yards or crowds of pasengers. Vie du Rail stil exists, though it's changed somewhat, and publishes coffee table books of its photos though most of these do tend to emphasise trains but was there ever an equivalent publication in Britain that would provide that sort of thing and might still hold a photo archive somewhere?

I think the equivalent anachronistic looking image from SNCF was a steam loco hauling a prestige train made up entirely from "Inox", i.e. stainless steel, coaches but they arrived a lot earlier and steam disappeared rather later than in Britain. Apart from Wagons Lits you sort of expect a European steam loco to be at the head of a line of dark green coaches and I rather suspect that the more modern and brighter paint schemes appeared because carriages were not having a constant stream of coal dust, oil and ash  dumped on them. 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok I've not taken any photos, but I can muster just enough stock to run something circa 1967-69, here are some examples that spring to mind:

1. Class 33 D6520 in blue on a parcels train with blue Thompson BG, maroon Hawksworth BG, green Southern BY van, lined maroon LMS Stanier 50' BG and blue BR 57' GUV,

with a 4CEP in blue/grey and Bulleid style 2EPB in all over blue on local passenger service,

accompanied outside the railway fence by a Southdown PD3 Queen Mary bus in traditional green/cream and a Portsmouth Corporation Atlantean in traditional maroon with yellow lining and white window bands and roof.

2. If I want to represent Wirral/Cheshire ca. 1967 with steam I can substitute the 33 for an Ivatt 4MT 43106 or a weathered Black 5 45377 on the same parcels train, or freight,

with a class 101 DMU in all over blue,

accompanied by a Crosville Bristol FLF green double-decker. Birkenhead Corporation blue/cream Leyland PD2, Wallasey Leyland Atlantean and a Midland Red coach with destination "New Brighton"

(I don't own a class 503 EMU to complete the trinity of steam, diesel and electric traction)

This shows the variety that's possible ... however the late steam era is only one area of my interest and I can only do so much with the space I have at my disposal.

Harrison Brown Models do a pretty good Bulleid EPB unit in Resin. Their 4-COR is pretty nice too.

http://harrisonbrownmodels.co.uk/epages/7c893344-8581-4e43-966d-a100e5ca63ac.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/7c893344-8581-4e43-966d-a100e5ca63ac/Categories/7/129

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

• 3 months later...

Massive Post!!!!

I understand this thread has gone quiet, but I thought having delved into this topic purely coincidentally and in a nostalgic (adopted as I'm too young to ever have known the era personally) and slightly vexed frame of mind having been trawling through the back issues of railway mags and diverse and long since redundant BR publications on the bottom tier of my crammed bookcase (really need to tidy that up...) next to my other half's mass of nursing journals, I'd contribute nevertheless, having just uncovered my barely read copy of 'Beeching: the inside track'. Now I'm no keen fan of steam, not even those celebrity locomotives still around in preservation, save for having the utmost respect for their presence at the core of the railways for such a long tenancy as the prime movers of the nations economy and continuing to drive the country in spite of the move to electrification which began to usurp some of their earlier haunts prior to the launch of 'dieselisation' in the late fifties and sixties.

To me the twilight of steam is an evocative period, the transition from the time tested to the new and vastly different, and from local lifeline to nationally profitable (still don't understand that concept, never will)

However back to talking in a modelling sense and going off previous posts on this thread I would agree it is a chance for a veritable goldmine of diversity in both rolling stock composition, livery and traction power, one which I would certainly consider a stab at representing purely for the whole host of prototypical oddities that you'd be able to throw out there! That said, it will not nor will it ever appeal to my elder generations, nor those whose interests were fostered by memories of their own parents/ grandparents and what they remember simply because of the overall sadness and dismay that enveloped the era and has largely still held sway in influencing the mindset of those of us (self inclusive) who discuss it , with the loss of the familiar from engine shape, whistle, coaling tower or the unmistakeable plume of white steam trailing behind a flat out 9F or similar workhorse steam engine of the era! And that's not to mention the similar sorry decline of the primarily localised rail network and the ripping up of some of the oldest branches extant in the country, and the relegation of some major routes as well (the track removals on the former Midland route along the Aire valley and the loss of the Thames-Clyde expresses etc.)

That said, it was an inevitability, certainly, as has and will be seen many times over again in the future.

Whilst the wastefulness abundant in this period of turmoil and strife (certainly for the 'boiler watchers' who took a distinctly abhorrent view to the new era being ushered in) in terms of the decimation of perfectly sound and able steam locomotion in such a short period of time, without clear and concise prior bedding in of the new diesels and next to no logitudinal experience in their practical, everyday, revenue based utilisation and application anywhere beyond the manufacturers own guidelines and the board's own trial results and guidance publications is symptomatic of the wider notion that we must strive to keep up with the world we live in, often pressured by other countries and the global scene we desperately seek to acquiesce post Suez '57!

To clarify and use some analogies from other instances of a quasi-Quantum Leap in technological progress, the Comet airliners were such a huge jump forward and were touted as Britain leading the way to the future of the world's connectivity and ushering in jet travel, however it became painfully apparent that not enough, it has to be said, was known nor was time or money invested properly in learning about the pressurisation/ depressurisation process and its practical application to the materials of construction at the time, thus they entered service with the carrier's blissfully unaware that every time the cabin pressurised and depressurised it caused massive stress on the airframe so that when they began to split open in mid air and sadly cost lives it made the whole world pay attention to the need to invest in the proper study of new technology prior to its application so widely (the Comets being omnipresent and nigh on monopolising jet airliner fleets for a time) Another example, Windscale (Sellafield) and the reactor fire which was a consequence of shaving the cooling fins of the aluminium pods inserted into the core to produce more plutonium faster resulting in a radioactive fire which (if not admitted to by the powers that were) caused a huge outcry and public scandal over the consequences for the locals and their natural environment and later the secret reasons behind the radioactive fallout that was or wasn't deposited over the Cumbrian countryside as a result, and that came about all because we were so desperate to gain a seat at the Nuclear table with our American cousins who had slammed the book of knowledge closed in the wake of the 'red purge' and the Soviet bomb project unwittingly being sold or even gifted to them by the American secret development team themselves, another example of a rush to build bigger and faster without thought of the consequences!

So I sympathise with the view that there were perfectly sound pieces of equipment condemned well before their time, indeed including some of the groundbreaking pilot scheme diesels that fell foul of the cutters torch before being wrung of every last drop of usability it was realistically speaking an inevitability in the politics and mindset of that generation.

But, for a modeller, it would be a distinctive era to model and one which is worthy of more attention I'd certainly agree!

As for infrastructure having read into the decisions at the time, such as the closure of the myriad of pick up freight locations in favour of centralised consolidation centres, such as truly purpose built locations like Tinsley which brought about the closure and rationalisation of many of the smaller goods yards and foundry sidings in Sheffield, some of which were still getting by in a time of huge economic and manufacturing output with Victorian era cranes and sheds designed to be served by horses, rather than motorised goods vehicles, it was again progress in sort of the right direction albeit unfortunately and probably in a sly fashion tied to the ongoing and profitable expansion of the national road system, which just about comes full circle to the modern day, where every household near enough has a car or access to one, there are more lorries hauling from one end of the country to the other than ever before, the railway is a bad joke run by the Dutch and Germans (whose own networks and systems we largely rebuilt after the war!) at a cost to the 'customer' which goes up every year and yet still refuses to run anywhere near to the standard those countries would expect themselves, but still it is by and large staffed by some great people who put in all they can (in the 'coalface' jobs at least) only to be rebuffed by misguided management who focus on gaining customer loyalty (!!!) like you have a choice which company to travel with from Leeds to Kings Cross direct or which brand of crowded Pacer you get on in the morning, when they're all run by the same single bl'''y companies!

Only good thing to come out of the Post-Beeching/Marples/Fraser/Castle era was Freightliner, because it is still going strong and standardised containerisation does work as a global business model, so thanks Dr Beeching!

So, sorry but huge rant and post now over.

(Some of this stuff I have researched honest, but alas I've slept and re-alcoholated since I read up on some of it, so apologies for any inaccuracies!)

I'll get off my soapbox.

Paragon.

Edit to include beer disclaimer and correct auto correct typos (blooming technology grr!)

Edited by Paragon
  • Like 4

The mid to late 60's certainly was an interesting time, especially for a young 'un like me born in 1952.

Politics didn't exist for me back then.

You interestingly mention Sheffield, allready posted on another thread but this is a cracking film (early 60's though), old and new together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Duoq7esgf5s

Brit15

• Like 3

You interestingly mention Sheffield, allready posted on another thread but this is a cracking film (early 60's though), old and new together.

Brit15

D'you know that was exactly what I was watching when I typed my dissertation above!!!

There was a longer version as well I believe talking about the myriad of goods yards and pickup sidings in Sheffield and how Tinsley was the future, it may have been this video but I'm sure it was longer!

It was an incredible thing to behold, and it was planned to a 'T' with the integration of the woodhead ohle and the hump shunters replacing what was a congested and very much clapped out Victorian infrastructure with something built to last a century... Even though it's now a shadow of its former self and the woodhead route only eked out another 20 years or so...

Still, if only they'd have seen the modern image and the sorry state of affairs today, I wonder what they'd have done differently...

Thanks for posting

Paragon

Edit: it was that video, I don't know how I got mixed up, I think the playlist I was watching had a short clip about Tinsley straight after hence the confusion!

Edited by Paragon
  • Like 1

Attractiveness as a subject for modelling and attractiveness as a real full size experience are two very different things . Considered as a passenger experience or a means of getting from A to B , the Selsey Tramway, the original WHR, (and most other Col Stephens lines), the Ashover Light, the original Ravenglass and Eskdale and quite a few others must have been quite awful . As a modelling subject they are very attractive...

Would you really want to find yourself at Halifax King Cross as a traveller ? I suspect not

n

Indeed. The Southwold Railway was a standing joke, even in its heyday, producing comic postcards showing "drivers fighting for the right of way" and the like. There is plenty in print about the latter days of the FR, sending out a single car to rescue the passengers from stranded trains and the like. Acronyms like "Muddle and Go Nowhere" and "Slow and Dirty" were common. The Colorado NG lines were described as "obsolete and inadequate" in their last days, taking three days to ship pipe along the Farmington branch - a route which now takes a few hours by road.

I think the mention of Suez in the long post above, is quite important.

The WW2 generation were entering middle age, the first shine had worn off of the 'New Jerusalem". The NHS was becoming a bit "taken for granted", trades unions were becoming increasingly intrusive and aggressive - much of the orchestrated violence of the miners strike was prefigured in the bitter Isle of Grain Power Station strike, and the 1960s was when that took shape.

The "old order" of the Conservative Party, and it's dream of Empire in Africa, were dead in the water by then but still cluttering up the political system. The post-War experiment of importing third world labour, initially to the Lancashire textile industry, had totally failed but immigration continued to increase. Labour was increasingly casting adrift from its historic roots.

My late parents summed this up in later years, as the time when they decided "this wasn't what we had fought for". It was a time when the National Anthem ceased to be played in cinemas, as patrons increasingly rejected it.

I've long felt that the nostalgia for steam, was a part of that feeling.

• Like 1

I agree, more so given that the raft of exchanges between the trade unions and the government (both colours) is something close to my heart

That said enough politics from me!, there are other more appropriate forums and its in the rules and regs so I'll abide by them, however a lot of importance is drawn to the rail strike of 1955(?) which essentially bloodied the nose of the corporate engine and provoked a backlash which I'm sure influenced the Marples/Frasier/ Castle triad so quick to endorse their own closures and blame Dr Beeching (on no way exonerated being a majority holder in the interests of motorway construction)

Moving on to the modelling of the death of steam slightly, using the Third Rail report media available on YouTube and the BTF videos concerning the introduction of dieselisation and the marshalling yard at Tinsley, the raft of closures and rationalisations at Sheffield is something I fancy having a crack at, albeit more green diesel than black steamers but the myriad of trip workings would make for a pretty hefty shunting arrangement with a lot of mixed traffic and industry workings, there is another gem of a video called 'fully fitted freight' which also mentions the vastness of the freight network but blimey 15 years (ish) later and it was all gone, how did that happen!

Also, the commentary mentions how coal will give way 'to oils and atoms, but we'll still need steel' how wrong you were mister engine driver!

Paragon

Edited by Paragon

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

BSKs are 34281/82; the Bulleid Compo must be in there temporarily, as the official formation of 'new' set 159 included Mk1 CK 15041.

Thanks, I'd originally created a topic, in the Southern Railway thread, about set 159 and said also that I believed the BSKs to be as you say. It's the CK in the pic that I'd really like to know the number of.

Others have said that the 'wired' 'other' BSK may not be from set 159 as it's the wrong way around.

Any further 'gen' gratefully received.

Edit - how on earth did autocorrect make 'wired' from 'other'? :scratchhead:

Edited by leopardml2341

that Sheffield film is interesting, as are many of the official films like it. Tend to show a lot of things either forgotten or ignored. The cabless tractor units used to pull the MH type trailers.any info . Initially I thought they must be a MH without cab, but not so sure. Never seen any mention in MH circles. That crumpled up one which tries to get its overwide load would be intersting to model. Almost certainly a set up for film. The combination of 'new' goods depots and old road vehicles, all in pre yellow livery. Those 'modern' building/warehouse kits could be useful.

I think the late 60s period has been modelled, but possibly not having the mixture of old and new, possibly because someone is likely to say you can't do it, but the photos and film prove the opposite.

Another film show Souhern in particular Nine Elms depot shows West Country locos devoid of side plates .

I suppose if you really wanted to mix things up you could have the early Mk2 coaches in maroon or green(?) and Mk1 coaches in blue/grey,

Thanks, I'd originally created a topic, in the Southern Railway thread, about set 159 and said also that I believed the BSKs to be as you say. It's the CK in the pic that I'd really like to know the number of.

Others have said that the 'wired' BSK may not be from set 159 as it's the wrong way around.

Any further 'gen' gratefully received.

Set 159 was created in 7/67, the month that steam exited (9/7/67 was the final day), therefore the date of the picture must be sometime in the first week of July 1967 (light pacific 34052 was withdrawn in July 1967, one of the last to go). The train is standing in the down main platform at Eastleigh, BTW.

Unfortunately there were 43 42 'new' sets* created in July 1967, most of which had two BSKs, so the identity of the rear BSK is open to correction. Enlarging the picture, the running number of the one branded with set 159 is too indistinct so it may be either of 34281 or 34282.

At that time there were still definitely 61 Bulleid CKs on the books, plus another 21 that were recorded as being withdrawn during July 1967. So unless there is a definite record of the exact consist of that specific train somewhere, we're on to a loser...

*The sets concerned were 11-19, 51-54, 67-69, 91, 105-109, 115/116, 125/126, 130-132, 145, 150, 155-160, 170/171, 180, 185/186, 195.

EDIT: correct details of 'new' sets.

Edited by talisman56