Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 24/02/2012 at 17:58, pete_mcfarlane said:

There was a lengthy article on modelling the end of steam in a very early issue of BRM, which asked a very similar question about why this era wasn't modelled. It was a very good article if I rememebr correctly.

I’ve been trying to find this article, I don’t suppose you recall which issues(s) it was in?

3 hours ago, J-Lewis said:

I’ve been trying to find this article, I don’t suppose you recall which issues(s) it was in?

August 1993. I remember buying that issue their stand at the Grantham show in September that year a week or two before I left for University - I'd no idea that BRM existed until that point. 

https://www.railmags.org/brm1993/1793-brm-1993-august.html

That was definitely not 30 years ago.,,,,

👴

Edited by pete_mcfarlane
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Amazing. When I was train spotting as a kid in 1965-67 at Taunton I only saw one steam train - Evening Star hauling freight through at speed.  Platform was packed with spotters  Otherwise it was Hymeks, Warships, Westerns and Class 117s/121s with one spotting each of a Peak and Class 47 in the 3 years.  Then I moved away further west where few trains ran.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/11/2021 at 14:53, KeithHC said:

I notice also this train contains three different type. With the Mk1 we have the Bullied coaches in green and a maroon Greasley catering coach.

Keith

And a green Hants and Dorset bus.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I've yet to see anyone model the rusty hulks being dragged from South Wales to a hopefully better life.

This is 1974 - en route to Birmingham Railway Museum 5637 needed attention following a hot axle box at Gloucester Horton Road:

5637 0-6-2T being repaired at Gloucester Horton Road in September 1974

Fast forward a few years, 5637 is still alive and well:

GWR 5637 East Somerset Railway

46 026 seen in the top picture was scrapped in 1985, whilst the depot building is just about still standing...

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Steven B said:

I've yet to see anyone model the rusty hulks being dragged from South Wales to a hopefully better life.

This is 1974 - en route to Birmingham Railway Museum 5637 needed attention following a hot axle box at Gloucester Horton Road:

5637 0-6-2T being repaired at Gloucester Horton Road in September 1974

Fast forward a few years, 5637 is still alive and well:

GWR 5637 East Somerset Railway

46 026 seen in the top picture was scrapped in 1985, whilst the depot building is just about still standing...

Steven B.

Should have been preserved as only named 46

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...