Why is this so rarely modelled?

Guest jim s-w

More interesting negs found, again just out of our era, 8 Feb 1969. It snowed heavy on the Friday, so I pestered my dad for a roll of film, and headed to Springs Branch with Shep, my Black Labrador who adored these outings, and spent many hours at the lineside snifffling around !. Trains were running slowly, and traffic was heavy that day.

post-6884-0-71434300-1358161487.jpg

post-6884-0-06015100-1358161503.jpg

post-6884-0-63278900-1358161522.jpg

D7632 Running wrong line, heading south on the Down Slow.

post-6884-0-85822100-1358161539.jpg

post-6884-0-59326700-1358161562.jpg

post-6884-0-99756300-1358161583.jpg

post-6884-0-36860200-1358161598.jpg

Brit15

• Like 18

Great to see Springs as it should be remembered; not the location where, with a colleague, I poked about ETS fitted Type 4s that were then for sale by EWS, many of which had a distinct air of having been scuttled.

• Like 2

More interesting negs found, again just out of our era, 8 Feb 1969. It snowed heavy on the Friday, so I pestered my dad for a roll of film, and headed to Springs Branch with Shep, my Black Labrador who adored these outings, and spent many hours at the lineside snifffling around !. Trains were running slowly, and traffic was heavy that day.

attachicon.gifSat 8 Feb 1969 Springs Branch Wigan Taylors Lane Bridge.jpg

Brit15

Is that an effect of the snow or do the two lines to the left of the train just end after the diamond crossings?

A photograph is better than a thousand words. Again a little out of era, 19 April 1969. Who dares model this ?

attachicon.gifD8048 Toton 19 April 1969.jpg

It gets more interesting by the day, - Don't know what I'll find next !!!!

Brit15

there is a not very clear picture on rail blue of one with the same reversed symbol . says its d8049

http://www.railblue.com/rail_blue_history.htm

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 1

Is that an effect of the snow or do the two lines to the left of the train just end after the diamond crossings?

The lines end. They were the Tyldesley / Manchester fast lines, connecting to the WCML fast lines. The junction was removed in 1968. Michael Delamar posted a photo showing the junction attached in an early post on this thread. The coal train is headed north having come (at that time) from either Parsonage (Leigh) or Plank Lane (Bickershaw) collieries.

Photo taken from Taylors Lane bridge, which is still there today but far less interesting, unless of course a Brit is due !!

post-6884-0-01348000-1358198683.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 3

The lines end. They were the Tyldesley / Manchester fast lines, connecting to the WCML fast lines. The junction was removed in 1968. Michael Delamar posted a photo showing the junction attached in an early post on this thread. The coal train is headed north having come (at that time) from either Parsonage (Leigh) or Plank Lane (Bickershaw) collieries.

Photo taken from Taylors Lane bridge, which is still there today but far less interesting, unless of course a Brit is due !!

attachicon.gif70013 Taylors Lane Springs Branch Wigan 19 MAR 2010 0958am.jpg

Brit15

First piccy of a mark 2 BFK in maroon that I've seen - knew about the FKs but not the brakes.

I'll stand corrected, but I suspect this is a modern repaint. I'm certain that it was only the first batch FK's that were painted Maroon, (and Green).

Cheers.

Sean.

Good point Sean, Given the topic title I'd assumed that this was a 'period' pic - Doh !

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a newly painted blue 03 shunter at Birkenhead shed on 1st July 1967.

D1733 in experimental blue was on Edge Hill shed that day.

post-6884-0-33129100-1360270920.jpg

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 5

I came accross this gem earlier today, I am not aware of having seen it before in this thread, but if it is a duplicate I apologise:

http://railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/267253/PL

Filthy Black 5, mixed blue/grey and maroon rake of Mk1's on the drawbar, flag bottom and bulkhead rail and semaphore signals at Preston in 1967, what more could you want?

• Like 3

Just a quick heads up for this thread. Hattons in Liverpool have quite a few bargains in blue livery applicable for this period.

Bachmann Mk2 coaches (Bk2nd, Bk1st and 1st corridor, the 1st corridor is also availiable in green) Prices £12 - £16 range.

Locos, they have a Bachmann chipped blue deltic at £69 (9005 without the D), a superb Brush 4 D1547 in Blue for £49 with lighting and class 20's (which would need renumbering), blue full headcode £49 and weathered blue disc for £52. The best offer I think is the weathered blue Peak D186 for £55. This is the late model with lighting. A blue chipped Warship D827 "Kelly" for £54 and a chipped 2 car blue 108 DMU for £62.

It' probably because this era is so rarely modelled, nobody's buying em !!!!!

Earlier this week I got the Peak and the Brush 4, superb models. They won't come again at these prices !!!

Brit15

Ive taken a very poor quality shot of the tv screen, this is only available on VHS as far as I know but is well worth buying, ive kept the shot as a poor quality on purpose so as just to give a glimpse of what is to be seen on the video so we can discuss what the working was, the wagons are not brand new and have signs they have been used but are empty,they have the bracing bars across them, cannot see if there is a brake van but I imagine there is, I imagine this is not a power station working but a moving of the wagons elsewhere and treated like an empty mineral train, loco carries middle and top lamps.

there is footage of the train arriving at Normanton and then struggling to start it again.

post-27-0-51858900-1360689281_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

This is a particularly fine juxtaposition - and to me at least, quite appealing: an ex-Crosti 9F (it could easily be an EE type 4 or a Derby type 2) alongside what is apparently a new signalbox - with coal bunker and freshly painted bufferstop but with a jumble of various minor buildings behind them - with sign in the new Rail Alphabet and everything is, actually, pretty tidy: the traditional railway in its last days.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64215236@N03/8466174346/in/photostream/lightbox/

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 2