Moxley Heath - 7mm Lt Rly - Carl Arendt Challenge

Guest Jim Read

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I'm getting towards all those little bits that are left to do to finish off, just taken these a few minutes ago;

15q6lns.jpg

xyuu1.jpg

I'm really getting to like this CombineZM program it's so easy to use.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Thought I would have a go at loading an image from the gallery on here;

gallery_7438_2157_46939.jpg

And it works quite nicely. I measured the bit between the buildings just before I took this one earlier today, it's 32"

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Thanks Dave,

If it hadn't been for you the track wouldn't look so good, thanks.

Hello Ian,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your nice comment

If either of you can make it to Gildersome, Leeds in Sept or Shepshed, Leics in Oct you'd be very welcome to have a go.

Jim

[ejit] speelin

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Nice to hear from you and Thanks :-) Are you working on another micro?

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

At the Ilkeston show Dave (dava) brought along a superb model he'd made of Peckett 1287. As I've started making a new layout I thought I would make a new loco and as I like this one so much this will be it.

There is one on the Kent and East Sussex Railway and here is a pic, reproduced here with the kind permission of Chris Stanley, you can see more of his pics here: http://www.flickr.com/people/rw3-497alh/

fo28z.jpg

This is the drawing I found and this image is reproduced with the kind permission of Martyn Bane whose website: http://www.martynbane.co.uk/ is a mine of Peckett information.

2it1xkg.jpg

I'm a very basic scratchbuilder and these are some of the tools I will be using, nothing cost much over a tenner, I've got a little vice that was given to me forgot to put it in the pic.

24dix4m.jpg

The bits and pieces for the chassis are from Eileens, from Comet Models and from Scale Link. I just have to find some plain flat brass horn blocks and bushes to take 1/8" axles and that will complete the parts needed, anyone know of a supplier?

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Mike,

Me too :-) Haven't made a loco since about 1988, just hope I can remember how I used to do it.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Thanks for your nice comment.

I've made a start on the chassis, soldered the frames together got one straight edge marked them out with a nail in a pin vice and cut them to shape with a hacksaw.

I cut, soldered together and drilled two pieces of nickel silver to make the con rods and clamped them to the frames to drill through slightly with a hand drill to mark where the axles will be.

v63od0.jpg

The pic says more than I can, I hope :-)

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

A little more progess on the chassis, split it after drilling the holes for the frame spacers then filed the 'horn blocks' into it, I found this on the web and thought I'll have a go at that: http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2011/11/foreigner-teaches-me-bit-about.html

I filed the holes very carefully with one of those diamond chip needle files and luckily when I put a couple of lengths of silver steel in and measured the distance between them they were both the same. Phew!!

29vi9hx.jpg

Next job is to file the con rods into shape.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jim,

Kind of you to mention my little Peckett loco, a photo of which visiting your old Moxley layout is at http://www.flickr.co...N04/6980019309/

At the time it was running on an adapted Hornby 'pug' chassis which was an experiment, the full story will be told in an article I've written for the GOG Gazette.

Since then the loco has been back in the works & I've built a proper chassis, borrowing your technique for compensating the rear axle. You've prompted me to post some photos of the loco in my new 'small 7mm locos' gallery, not ust to show I did it first!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2027-small-7mm-locos/

It runs really well and the loco has been detailed over the last few weeks. It now just needs varnish spraying this weekend and the final details added. These will include oil pots and other small touches. So some finished photos should appear soon. Good luck with yours!

Dava

Guest Jim Read

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the link to the pic of my old layout, your loco looks really good on there. Your chassis looks great as well and I like the way you've done the compensation. I notice that you've used what looks like thinner brass for the frames than I have, mines 1/16" may I ask what you used Dave.

A bit of a setback with mine I bought some Romford wheels thinking I would be able to drill them out to take 1/8" silver steel axles. Sadly the amount of axle to bush area is too small and they wobble. As it happens I have some old Hornby wheels, a little bigger but never mind, I'll saw every other spoke out and use these.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jim,

Thanks, I used 20 thou brass sheet for the frames, this is thinner but is quite strong enough and makes the cut-outs on the frames easier. Wheels for this loco in Gauge 0 are a challenge as they are so small - about 16mm. The old style Hornby cast metal should be OK but the flanges will be a bit coarse, unless you can turn them down on a lathe. I used plastic centred Hornby 'pug' wheels on the first chassis but they were a bit wobbly.

On my new chassis after a lot of hunting around I used Slaters 21mm (3 foot gauge in 7mm) County Donegal railcar wheels, on a 32mm 1/8" axle. These have a fine tread and flange with a boss for the crankpin. The only disadvantage are that they're solid, not spoked, and filing out spokes would risk ruining the wheel. I'll live with the compromise.

Varnishing tomorrow, then final details and pix.

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Here is my Peckett '1287 class', newly outshopped with painted frames & lots of small details such as loco jack as in the Peckett catalogue, oilcans, bucket, toolbox and canvas cab screen. Other shots in the 'flickr' set show it shunting on my 'Coney Hill' layout (still building) loosely based on the Derwent Valley Light Railway - more of this to follow. When Jim finishes his loco, lets arrange a meet on a microlayout exhibition in the East Mids!

Dava

7577110566_260cf2b4c6_s.jpg

Guest Jim Read

Hello Dave,

I looked through your Flickr album the loco looks great I hope mine is half as good, all I've done is saw out every other spoke in those old Hornby wheels some of them still had the flashing on the backs. And you're right they do wobble a bit, I put them on the axles to see if they would go through my point OK and they do. Interesting that about the back to back I measured 29.25 on one wheel and 29.32 on the other.

I've been finishing off my layout all those little bits that I never got round to :-)

Your idea of a micro meet, I have a tentative invite to the Mansfield show next year from Ian (Redgate Models) I wonder if Ian would consider a micro layout section I'm sure it would be very popular in these days of small dwellings with small rooms.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I put the chassis together just to try it and I'm pleased to say that once I'd got the wheels quartered it rolled along very smoothly.

The wheels are Hornby ones with every other spoke cut out.

gallery_7438_314_40969.jpg

View from the top with the screw that acts as the pivot for the 'suspension'.

gallery_7438_314_21249.jpg

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

A new pic of the layout

gallery_7438_2157_38254.jpg

Mr Betjeman, who was just off to the corner cafe for a Bacon and Tomato dip sandwich sees Jack and says, "My dear chap, you're just in time to hear the rest of my poem, Bathing Belles at Bilston Baths"

Jim

Guest Jim Read

............ and another;

gallery_7438_2157_85378.jpg

Thinks "You can guarantee it, that idiot always brings my stuff just as I'm drinking my tea"

Voice in the distance; "Get that lot unloaded, I've got to get that van back to Bradley, fast!"

Reply, "Yeah it's been there for two days, call yourself a driver!!"

Jim

Archived