Moxley Heath - 7mm Lt Rly - Carl Arendt Challenge

Guest Jim Read

• RMweb Premium

Thank you Jim, I've made a few sets of crossheads but they are fiddly so good to know about Comet for future ones. I had the same reaction about the wheels until I found the Slaters railcar ones for the Irish 3 foot gauge railcar. Slaters charge quite a lot for their Allen key, must be ahuge prfit margin, but Squire's sell one (mine says 00035 in the packet) for 45p or so at shows.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Ed,

Many thanks for your nice comments I feel an absolute fraud, this being the first layout I've ever made with a backscene.

If your within fairly easy reach of Sutton in Ashfield on Sunday you'd be very welcome to have a chat and have a go on the layout.

Hello Dave,

Aaarghh!! Ripped off again :-) I just looked and they charged me £2.60, such is life!

Jim

You're not a fraud Jim. Like an artist you've found a technique that works for you and, by the number of views you've had, appeals to other people as well. I've got to say I've felt a bit embarassed by all the nice comments about my first 'proper' layout at age 54 but I think most of the members do like to encourage each other.

Thanks for the offer but I think it's a bit of a distance from Liverpool.

Ed

Guest Jim Read

Hello Ed,

Friendly backwater of the forum this :-)

I did got to a show at errrrrrr looks at Google maps ahhhh Romiley perhaps if I get another invite for next year we could meet it's about 1/2 way.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I have been asked by a couple of modellers how to make a card backscene building from a photograph using any version of Photoshop. So I've done a little video of me doing it, well some of it : http://tinyurl.com/cafzd9x in You Tube please alter the Quality to 480p and use the Large Player.

Bit nervous to start with, never done one of these with audio before.

Cheers - Jim

• 1 month later...
Guest Jim Read

Thought I'd better go through my thread to see if the new software had done anything, it had, pictures missing and replaced by their URL's.

I've replaced all of them just now, mostly just code errors and the Image loader works with off site URL's, I store a lot of pics at Tiny Pic they give you the code to be used in forums and message boards after you've loaded a pic, Google will find it.

Cheers and have a nice time over the coming festivities. [we hide ..... in our allotment shed]

Jim

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thought I'd better go through my thread to see if the new software had done anything, it had, pictures missing and replaced by their URL's.

I've replaced all of them just now, mostly just code errors and the Image loader works with off site URL's, I store a lot of pics at Tiny Pic they give you the code to be used in forums and message boards after you've loaded a pic, Google will find it.

Cheers and have a nice time over the coming festivities. [we hide ..... in our allotment shed]

Jim

Hi Jim,

Nothing since 23rd December - did you ever come out of the shed?

Just wondered if you are doing any shows in 2013 as I didn't get to any Moxley viewings in 2012.

Lovely little layout by the way.

David

Only found this thread after seeing "seccotine available again". Have been trying to move house for a long time so cannot do modelling at the moment.    :cry:     This has caused the bug to inflict severe bites!

Brilliant work (pronounced wairk, - yes I am qualified!). ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Guest Jim Read

Hello David,

I've been concentrating on my photography getting together some prints for an RPS distinction, hopefully :-) I will be at some shows later in the year and in 2014, one in Leicester and one in Belper and another in Sherwood. Thanks for the nice comment, I didn't think anyone was looking at this thread anymore, silly me.

Hello Tiptonian,

Por favor arr kid, I remember the Tipton Baths Tea Shirt and the weekend in Tipton prize with the trip to the scratchings factory by the lights in Bloomfield Road. Give a little 'um a go :-)

Hello Mac,

Thanks for the link nice of you

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hello David,

I've been concentrating on my photography getting together some prints for an RPS distinction, hopefully :-) I will be at some shows later in the year and in 2014, one in Leicester and one in Belper and another in Sherwood. Thanks for the nice comment, I didn't think anyone was looking at this thread anymore, silly me.

Jim

Thanks for the reply, Jim. Do let us all know about any of the shows later this year. The good thing about threads on RM Web is that they don't just disappear and people can come upon them and be inspired by them at a later date. I'll be following the new one.

Good luck with the RPS!

David

• 4 weeks later...

I first saw Moxley Heath in early March 2013 at Mansfield.

It may have been the smallest layout on display but to my mind it was the best and lodged itself in my mind.

It is around 45 years since I did anything remotely resembling railway modelling and I only visited the Mansfield exhibition whilst SHMBO was shopping. It was unfortunate that my time was limited and I could not stay longer.

Moxley Heath made such an impact that I searched the web and found this thread, I didn’t even know it was called Moxley Heath, I found the name from the Mansfield web site.

Now I am inspired to have another go at RM.

I did not realise the rolling stock was all made from card how do you manage to make the W irons strong enough?

I understand you make your own controllers, is it possible to have a copy of the circuit?

The operation was so slow and smooth.

Are you exhibiting again any were near to Mansfield in the future?

I would love to come and have a longer look and possibly a talk with you.

I’ve just found Moxley Bull Lane as well, this is an interesting thread to watch.

Guest Jim Read

Hello,

Thanks for the nice comments I remember chatting to you and I'm pleased that your inspired to have a go.

Regarding the W irons I've only just stated to make them from card, the models you saw had cast ones from CCW that I bought in the 80's. I have used cereal packet card for the ones I ma making now, I'll just have to be carefull not to touch them :-) they are well hidden though underneath the floor.

I will be at the Sherwood show later this year and also one at Belper which I think is early next year.

If you would send me your email address through the message system I'll gladly send you the controller circuit.

And welcome to the forum :-)

Cheers - Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello Chris,

My apologies I thought I'd sent it off but hadn't, getting old!! Just done it.

Cheers - Jim

• 2 months later...

Hi Jim!

how are things?

with the summer looming, modelling is back on, and I have decided to use your layout plan as the basis :) What is the minimum you think I could get away with for the fiddle yard? I only really have 4ft available, and was thinking of just 12" with a removable bit - is that how yours is?

cheers

Andy

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Nice to hear from you :-) The traverser on this one 15" and the bit on the back for the loco release is 7", I've built that into the layout now so the total length is 55". Gives me a bit of room to put me lunch on at a show.

The layout will work without the loco run round if you decide to exclude the extension but you will have to constantly pick up a single loco or use two.

Cheers - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Mike,

It looks really good, I like the gates and the wall and the gatehouse, it makes the whole works look self-contained and spread about in different building styles just as it would be. Damn good place to have a boozer too, gerrem to part with their cash (is it secretly owned by the gaffers wife?)

Cheers - Jim

Archived