Moxley Heath - 7mm Lt Rly - Carl Arendt Challenge

Guest Jim Read

Guest Jim Read

Hello Martin,

Many thanks for the nice comment, you must have a go next time you see me. Shepshed perhaps?

Best wishes - Jim

Just noticed the dumb buffers on a couple of your wagons. Nice touch, but sets your operating date to pre-1910 or thereabouts. Is that intentional?

Apologies if I've missed that info in earlier posts.

If it's not fictitious (in which case, an appropriate name!), any idea where "Datts Hole" colliery was? not one that I've come across before, and was it big enough to own 46 wagons? or if copied from a prototype was the numbering a bit of Victorian self-promotion? (the questions get easier later!!)

Guest Jim Read

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the nice comment, I'm working slowly on the loco, have stripped the chassis back down to paint it after waiting for some flat brushes to arrive and this morning have scrounged some old lead flashing to cut up for weights.

Hello Don,

I believe some dumb buffered wagons lasted until the 1920's, thanks for prompting the question I came up with this: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/4-rstock/04arstock2c.htm you found us some more short wagons Don Reely Grate. Tek a look Andy.

I made the wagons 3 of them from drawings in a model mag in the 80's and went to Wolverhampton Library one lunchtime to look at some old maps of Moxley and there it was, who could resist the name 'Datts Hole'. As for the number I had to use what was left on my Mecanorma transfer sheets. I threw them away like an idiot and regretted it eversince, some of my wagons are lettered on only one side and others on both but differently I have for instance, LNWR one side and LMS the other so that I can run different periods.

Interesting thanks both

Jim

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I will be at the Gildersome Show on Saturday the 8th September it's open from 10.00am to 5pm and held in;

Gildersome Baptist Church

Church Street

Gildersome

Morley

LEEDS LS27 7AE

I would be delighted to see anyone whose been following this thread, they will be very welcome to have a go.

Best wishes - Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

I will be at the Gildersome Show on Saturday the 8th September it's open from 10.00am to 5pm and held in;

Gildersome Baptist Church

Church Street

Gildersome

Morley

LEEDS LS27 7AE

I would be delighted to see anyone whose been following this thread, they will be very welcome to have a go.

Best wishes - Jim

The show should be a good one. The Postcode for stanav's is actually ls27 7AN but AE is only 100 yards away and includes the pub so it's not too bad. I'm looking forward tos eeing the layout.

Jamie

Guest Jim Read

Hello Jamie,

Nice to hear from you, I'm looking forward to meeting you :-)

Gildersome BTW is 5 Mins off Ju27 M62 for anyone contempleting going.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hello Jamie,

Nice to hear from you, I'm looking forward to meeting you :-)

Gildersome BTW is 5 Mins off Ju27 M62 for anyone contempleting going.

Jim

Opposite side of the motorway to Ikea so the other halves can be left there.

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I too enjoyed talking to you at Shepshed Jim, and will remain grateful for the 7mm tips I acquired listening to you.

Here's one of the photographs I took of your lovely little layout.

gallery_1364_2412_64381.jpg

Many thanks

Guest Jim Read

Hello Richard and Sue,

Thank you for reminding me about John I'd forgotten to put the figures out until you came along.

Hello Dave,

It was nice to sit there and watch it and you loco runs perfectly I only hope mines 1/2 as good, when I get around to finishing it off.

Hello CM,

That's a good pic of my Cleobury wagon, one of the first I made from card and paper and thanks for your nice comments I'm grateful.

My regards to you all - Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Pete,

International fame at last! Cor blimey stone the Crows!!

Thanks for the nice comment I'm grateful to you.

Best wishes - Jim

Hello Pete,

International fame at last! Cor blimey stone the Crows!!

Thanks for the nice comment I'm grateful to you.

Best wishes - Jim

Hopefully I'll learn to control my fingers when typing soon......."grate", D'oh!

Best, Pete.

I also noticed that you did not sligtly flare the end of your check and wing rails.

If your DPDT switch movement is greater than the throw of your blades you will need to put an omega loop or Z spring to take up the extra travel.

Gordon A

Bristol

Guest Jim Read

Hello Gordon,

Goodness! you're up early, thanks for your kind advice as it happens I've got some Gem omega loops knocking about somewhere and I used to make Z's from piano wire, in the case of the switch I think the extra throw is taken up by the tube flexing a bit and the hole in the plastic being just that bit bigger than the wire. On the other hand I suspect that the contacts within the the switch itself may be longer than I first thought.

The 'slightly' you mention is there its just that it's so slight you can barely see it in the pic. What I do is bend the end of the rail slightly in a vice and then file the bottom of the rail flat again.

Good luck with your P4 venture, it'll be nice to see your layout amongst these pages. If you are using brush type motors you would be very welcome to have the controller circuit I use, keep away from the coreless ones it's impossible to get a really slow and even start with them (They take off like scalded cats :-)

Jim

[edit] If you scroll up this page and look at the pic that Dave took, the one with the Peckett (there's an old friend Gordon) you'll see the 'slightly' on the right of the pic, I've just had a look, good for you Dave thanks :-)

[edit 02] You've gotta pic a Peckett or two

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

After seeing Dave's Peckett running on my layout I thought hmmmm those Hornby wheels on mine look awful so I got some of the small ones from Slaters and reassembled the chassis with them on. Dave's chassis is a lot better than mine as well with holes in it and no screws visible. Thankfully the conrods fitted and worked fine it rolls along very well indeed.

2vcuw49.jpg

I've got to get some threadlock stuff and an Allen key from Slaters and then I can tighten it all up and put the motor in.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello Dave,

I got my motor, flywheel, gear and worm from Comet Models in Ross on Wye and asked if they'd got any crossheads they could sell separately that would go between about 4 mm, the kind gentleman came up with these.

I also asked an 0 Gauge supplier the same question, I've conveniently forgotten the name (perhaps just as well) and they said there isn't a 7mm loco that would use anything that small! I sent a pic of Marcia but sadly received no reply, this is what you find :-)

Jim

Hi Jim

Your buildings are so lifelike (obviously, since they are photographs). They show what can be achieved with imagination, patience and humble card and paper. I hope that by the time I finish my layout I will be starting to get somewhere near these standards.

Ed

Archived