ideal camera for a drivers view of layout....

Yep, lots of examples out there. The "pancake" key fob type fit the best. You can also buy devices to convert the track current (DC or DCC) to re-charge the on board battery and even a ready made wagon with the camera mounted inside of it. There are some excellent layouts on the exhibition circuit with cameras built into the cab and shown live onto screens.

For live view, check out some of the new sub miniature wifi cameras. These are about the size of a 20P piece and can be connected to a laptop or even tablet. They are much better than the old analogue wireless cameras in terms of drop out and picture distortion.

• RMweb Gold

We used to have a camera mounted in the front of a 33 and one in the front of a 66, allowing us to give youngsters the chance to drive a train from the cab, powered by DCC, the quality of the camera has probably improved several fold since then (it was a few years ago now)

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Beast 66606, what camera are you using for your P4 layout?

Hi Harry,

We don't use it anymore, the layout was sold last year, the camera was obtained from Micro-Mark (micromark.com).

This is what they currently sell - ours was a lot earlier model.

http://www.micromark.com/wireless-micro-camera-system-with-sound-24-ghz,8776.html - a small camera

http://www.micromark.com/Battery-Eliminator-for-Micro-Camera,8370.html - battery eliminator (works with DCC)

(no connection other than a satisfied purchaser of goods)

cheers,

Hi Harry,

Just a quick note. I've got one of the Maplin i-cameras, & the.picture quality is very, very good.

It is quite an expensive option at just under £100, & it does tend to rip through the batteries rather quickly.

It's perfect as a home security option, but, if you did fit it into a loco cab, you would getting it in & out very frequently.

I would have thought that one of the little key fob type cameras would be ideal for your needs.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Cheers

Rob

Archived