0-6-0 Tanks on Passenger Duties Late 50's/Early 60's

edcayton

The Southern had Terriers on the Hayling Island branch.

Western Panniers all over the place.

Midland Jinties fairly widespread.

Eastern J69 and similar in some East Anglian outposts.

Scotland had Panniers on the Dornoch branch.

Is that the lot? And have I got any wrong?

Ed

R1s on the Folkstone Harbour branch. Later replaced by 57xx Pannier tanks.

I knew they did some banking, but not that they hauled the trains as such.

Ed

Panniers taking over the Waterloo coach pilots.

Is that just on empty stock working?

Ed

Cor, that's clever! I had no idea how to get both quotes in one post, and the forum Gods have done it for me!

What about the ex-LBSCR E1s on the Isle of Wight? Did they get any passenger turns?

The IOW E1's were used on the 'Tourist' for many years, as they were considered more sure-footed than the O2's on this heavy train. They would have undoubtedly done other odd passenger turns as well...

Western Panniers all over the place.

Is that the lot? And have I got any wrong?

Stretching your era just slightly, the WR had 'Jinties' as well, 'motor fitted' ones working passenger around Swansea from Upper Bank/Paxton St. sheds.

Brian R

The J50s weren't used on passenger turns to the best of my knowledge, but did appear on ECS workings at the Cross and elsewhere. Passenger tank working of the Bradford portions of expresses wehn handled by tank engines was by N1s and latterly N2s displaced from London by DMUs.

Now, how about a J52? Just once in 1959 from KX platform 15 with express headlights non-stop to Marshmoor, with two coaches. That was the jaunt of Captain Smith's 68846 as she went into preservation; a little snippet from the 'prototype for everything' department...

I am pretty sure you mean LMS Jinties and by the late 1950s I can't think of anywhere that was worked by these except on station pilot and ECS working. However there was a branch in Gloucestershire (Nailsworth?) that was worked by MR 1F half cabs in the 1940s -not sure when they finished on that service.

Tony

Archived