New Hornby NER station buildings for Southern Area station

Andreas68

Hello everybody,

as i'm new to everything here i would like to know if i would make a big fault when i consider the upcoming Skaledale NER stations buildings which seemed to be Goathland for a Southern railway station layout?

I would repaint them with Deep cream - Precision SR buildings cream. Stone - Humbrol enamel no. 71 Green- Precision SR Middle Chrome Green.

http://www.Hornby.co...0xauto/8383.jpg

http://www.Hornby.com/_assets/images/cache/710xauto/8385.jpg

Any suggestion on this?

Hope the question is not anything like slaughtering a holy cow.

Thank you

Andreas

They are a design found at quite a number of stations on the NER - but unless you have a keen eye for company architecture , that's not such a problem.

The big difficulty is that they're stone . Much of Southern England has very little good building stone , and a stone station on the SE Division/SECR or Central Division/LBSC is simply geologically impossible . The White Cliffs of Dover - and the North and South Downs - are chalk and you can't build with that. There's so little building stone in most of the South and East that churches were build out of large flints . The one part of the Southern system that did have plenty of stone, was the far West Country end of the SW Division/LSW - often referred to as the Withered Arm because so much of it was closed in the in1960s . And it's grey granite down there , not golden limestone - so you'd have to repaint the stone work . (It can be done - I'd try thin washes of acrylic. I turned a grey granite Skaledale chapel into golden limestone with some suitable light washes of acrylic paint)

Maybe you could get away with limestone around Salisbury , in Wiltshire and Dorset- though Salisbury Plain is also chalk and the NER station building are a bit rugged for that area. They do suggest bleak windswept hill country - ok for Cornwall but not really for picture postcard Southern England lowlands

Somebody has done some genuine SR buildings off the Bluebell line - worth checking to see if you can find them - and Hornby did some brick buildings in the Skaledale range based on Rye in Sussex . I think one of the magazines did a stone LSWR signal box from Cornwall as an exclusive resin building recently . And the big SR Art Deco signal boxes have been done - I think by Bachmann - though these are very much a feature of the busy commutor lines around London - which is where colour light signalling was installed in the 1930s

• RMweb Gold

Ravenser's excellent answer gives you a little insight into the complexities of local building styles in the UK - but no cows will be harmed whatever you do.

Perhaps you could tell us whereabouts in the South your layout is located? We might be able to point you in a helpful direction!

They are a design found at quite a number of stations on the NER - but unless you have a keen eye for company architecture , that's not such a problem.

The big difficulty is that they're stone . Much of Southern England has very little good building stone , and a stone station on the SE Division/SECR or Central Division/LBSC is simply geologically impossible . The White Cliffs of Dover - and the North and South Downs - are chalk and you can't build with that. There's so little building stone in most of the South and East that churches were build out of large flints . The one part of the Southern system that did have plenty of stone, was the far West Country end of the SW Division/LSW - often referred to as the Withered Arm because so much of it was closed in the in1960s . And it's grey granite down there , not golden limestone - so you'd have to repaint the stone work . (It can be done - I'd try thin washes of acrylic. I turned a grey granite Skaledale chapel into golden limestone with some suitable light washes of acrylic paint)

Maybe you could get away with limestone around Salisbury , in Wiltshire and Dorset- though Salisbury Plain is also chalk and the NER station building are a bit rugged for that area. They do suggest bleak windswept hill country - ok for Cornwall but not really for picture postcard Southern England lowlands

Somebody has done some genuine SR buildings off the Bluebell line - worth checking to see if you can find them - and Hornby did some brick buildings in the Skaledale range based on Rye in Sussex . I think one of the magazines did a stone LSWR signal box from Cornwall as an exclusive resin building recently . And the big SR Art Deco signal boxes have been done - I think by Bachmann - though these are very much a feature of the busy commutor lines around London - which is where colour light signalling was installed in the 1930s

Thank you!!!

That is a big lesson to read your comment.

The station building for the Hornby NER is in grey granite (i think so) so could be possible to have it in the south western arm.

So far i don't know where my layout should be located, only the time which should be around 1960 - what i have to consider when i bought my first rolling stock.

When i checked were my layout should be located it give me a lot of question marks.

But for me the "British Railway" is little more then having an oval with a loco runing around.

I can learn also about the country and that is a big aspect for me.

Thank you

Andreas

Ravenser's excellent answer gives you a little insight into the complexities of local building styles in the UK - but no cows will be harmed whatever you do.

Perhaps you could tell us whereabouts in the South your layout is located? We might be able to point you in a helpful direction!

I'm not shure where it should be located.

I have no intrest on it in the way that i was grown up there - could you catch what i mean.

For me it is like a miracle which i will solve with my knowledge - which is poor by now.

For example i want to have a colour mix on the coaches maroon and green. I think this happens somewhere.

So i will place the layout there. Maybe this sound stupid but that is what i know and the other things will come up.

Best wihes

Andreas

I'm not shure where it should be located.

I have no intrest on it in the way that i was grown up there - could you catch what i mean.

For me it is like a miracle which i will solve with my knowledge - which is poor by now.

For example i want to have a colour mix on the coaches maroon and green. I think this happens somewhere.

So i will place the layout there. Maybe this sound stupid but that is what i know and the other things will come up.

Best wihes

Andreas

Maroon was the common coach colour in the 1956-64 period (and maroon coaches were still to be seen until about 1970) . Green was a Southern Region speciality . So it would be quite possible to see the two mixed on the Southern c1960

Perhaps the big deciding question is - do you want 3rd rail electrics or not? This is the thing that is most associated with the Southern - but in 1960 electrification was still largely around London . There are now several types of third rail electric available RTR - the Bachmann 4-CEP would suit Kent and the E Division, the 2-EPB is a suburban electric

If you want electrics , that then ties you to London and the SE , which is certainly not stone country

If you don't want electrics , then the SW Division , and the West Country is certainly a popular option. The ex LSWR mainlines from Waterloo to the West Country and Southampton/Bournemouth /Weymouth were Britains last steam worked mainline service , the changeover coming in Autumn 1967 . Hornby and others do some very fine models of most of the key locomotives : rebuilt Merchant Navy and unrebuilt West Country class pacifics, King Arthurs, M7 tanks (all Hornby) Bachmann the N class mogul , Dapol/Kernow the Beattie well tank (3 engines from 1874, found deep in the far West )The extremities of the LSWR in the West Country (the "Withered Arm") featured light Pacifics hauling 2 and 3 coach trains on single track rural lines in Devon and Cornwall

Hattons are still advertising the Bachmann resin buildings based on Sheffield Park , which are geniune Southern, and both Bachmann and Hornby are offering versions of the big 1930s Southern signal boxes- though those are associated with the busy lines around London rather than the far west

Maroon was the common coach colour in the 1956-64 period (and maroon coaches were still to be seen until about 1970) . Green was a Southern Region speciality . So it would be quite possible to see the two mixed on the Southern c1960

Perhaps the big deciding question is - do you want 3rd rail electrics or not? This is the thing that is most associated with the Southern - but in 1960 electrification was still largely around London . There are now several types of third rail electric available RTR - the Bachmann 4-CEP would suit Kent and the E Division, the 2-EPB is a suburban electric

If you want electrics , that then ties you to London and the SE , which is certainly not stone country

If you don't want electrics , then the SW Division , and the West Country is certainly a popular option. The ex LSWR mainlines from Waterloo to the West Country and Southampton/Bournemouth /Weymouth were Britains last steam worked mainline service , the changeover coming in Autumn 1967 . Hornby and others do some very fine models of most of the key locomotives : rebuilt Merchant Navy and unrebuilt West Country class pacifics, King Arthurs, M7 tanks (all Hornby) Bachmann the N class mogul , Dapol/Kernow the Beattie well tank (3 engines from 1874, found deep in the far West )The extremities of the LSWR in the West Country (the "Withered Arm") featured light Pacifics hauling 2 and 3 coach trains on single track rural lines in Devon and Cornwall

Hattons are still advertising the Bachmann resin buildings based on Sheffield Park , which are geniune Southern, and both Bachmann and Hornby are offering versions of the big 1930s Southern signal boxes- though those are associated with the busy lines around London rather than the far west

Hello Ravenser,

thank you for another great advice.

What i have so far in my mind is something which will have more from the countryside than from the city. So the area around London is not on interest.

And so the SW will be match exactly in time and stock.. My next locos will be an Battle of Britain and then one Merchant navy all rebuild ones. I plan to have only steam by 1960 - 1964 so it will match my thoughts!

Sheffield Park is a Station building which i like second best and will be really considerable:-)

Thank you for the information

Best wishes

Andreas

Gents,

This thread indirectly poses the challenge to find stone station buildings on the central and eastern divisions, so I'll try one: Battle in Sussex, which looks like the abbey on which it is modelled.

There must be more. The very first station at Lewes, possibly?

And as Wealdonian, I would contest the idea that there is no good building stone in Sussex. There are absolutely oodles of very good sandstone buildings, and then there are those with sandstone roofs, Horsham Slates, like the house just south of Horsted Keynes village.

All the best, Old-Sparky

The original post has a link to a signal box and a platform building, and the latter would certainly look the part on a Southern layout, suitably painted, whilst the brick signal box wouldn't jar too much.

As for stone buildings on the eastern section of the Southern, it looks as if many on the Tonbridge to Hastings line were built of local stone, such as Battle, Etchingham and Frant - the only problem with this location was that the restricted tunnel on the line meant that the only large locos that were used were the Schools class, but that is only a technicality.

On the Central section, the London Brighton and South Coast Railway favoured brick or timber for its stations, some of the former being rendered or tiled, with one or two, such as Lancing using flints. However, there were a number of stone built bridges throught Sussex, from Fittleworth to Withyham.

Gents,

This thread indirectly poses the challenge to find stone station buildings on the central and eastern divisions, so I'll try one: Battle in Sussex, which looks like the abbey on which it is modelled.

There must be more. The very first station at Lewes, possibly?

And as Wealdonian, I would contest the idea that there is no good building stone in Sussex. There are absolutely oodles of very good sandstone buildings, and then there are those with sandstone roofs, Horsham Slates, like the house just south of Horsted Keynes village.

All the best, Old-Sparky

Thank you!

i think you understood my mind about the stone station in the south, salute to you. I would do something which tooks me time to understood and and on which i have to study all aspects.

But also what i read from all others here makes me very happy and of course more interested on the BR (S) Railways.

For example i found that Crewkerne and Sherborne are build from stone. Of course the NER Buildings are not exactly this buildings but enough for me to create the idea.

Crewkerne has an amazing track layout which i found but i think it would take 3' foot more length than i have by now.

On Sherborne it is also a station which has a bridge benear but i cannot found any old track layout (around 1960) on it.

Both will be fine to have the short length of the L-Baseboard or later U-Baseboard for countryside.

Could somebody give me an advice on books which i can consider about BR (S) Railways around 1960?

Thank you to everybody and have a peaceful weekend!

Andreas

Archived