RMweb

Help with details

Hi guys

I am not new to railway modelling just new to going into high detailing so please bear with me

Modelling 1960's era pre the end of steam

I am doing a few shops for the backdrop and have decided on an electrical store

So I want to put a few Washing machines outside, I do have the Scalescenes furniture texture sheets BUT they only have Automatic washers and I seem to remember in the 60's that most people had Twin Tubs

does anyone have the dimensions for such an item so I can make a few

Bruciethe fish

Ta for the next spanner thrown into the works

But saying that I can remember those things but those were more 50's than the end of the 60's which is where I'm at so shops would have the more modern stuff Already done one twin tub washer and 2 cookers with high level grills

• RMweb Gold

The popular buy in that era for those with a bit more cash was the Hoover Keymatic, named after the plastic "key" which dictated the programme in use. This would resemble a more modern machine than the Twin Tub which my mother certainly had.

Remember also that many of us had separate washers (around 30" high x 22" square) & spin driers, which could be round or square (usually the former) Ours stood about 2ft high, & 18" diameter....

Bruciethe fish

Ta for the next spanner thrown into the works

But saying that I can remember those things but those were more 50's than the end of the 60's which is where I'm at so shops would have the more modern stuff Already done one twin tub washer and 2 cookers with high level grills

HI Madcaravanner,

Just like to say that we were using one of those round standalone toploader spin dryers in the 1980's (1982/3 I think). We inherited it, and the whizzy bit still whizzed fine. It was reasonably recent (i.e. possibly mid-70's) but it was relegated to 'OK for newlywed' status because it had a faulty lid catch; - which meant one of us had to sit on the beast for the duration. It was time well spent for some.... :O

Cheers

Jan

• RMweb Gold

Here, in Poland, my mother-in-law (bless her)still uses a spin drier to this day, although she has a brand-new automatic washer. Says the spin drier gets more water out.

I suspect the vertical drum has a more effective centrifuge. Auto-washers in the UK always tended to be front-loading. Our French machine is top-loading, despite being a horizontal drum, a design I'd not seen in the UK.

Top-loaders seem still to be quite popular in France, perhaps because there's less risk of flooding the flat downstairs...

My friends in Beaujolais used to use an old spin-drier at harvest-time to dry industrial quantities of salad, which only required a short spin- problems occured when someone wandered off to answer the phone, and returned to discover the salad had become a green purée.

I suspect the vertical drum has a more effective centrifuge.

Twin tubs spin at (IIRC) typically 2000+ rpm (which is why later ones were interlocked, you really dont wanna put your arm in there). Autos of the time were much slower, maybe 600 - 800rpm, with 1100 being more common by the '80s

Auto-washers in the UK always tended to be front-loading. Our French machine is top-loading, despite being a horizontal drum, a design I'd not seen in the UK.

In my days in electrical retailing, ISTR one top loader at one time with a horizontal drum, accessed via a flap; it might have been a Philips

I remember a washing machine my mam had,it had a drum you loaded from top for washing,then a attachable mangle,which was driven by motor through the shaft it was placed in.The mangle stored under the drum when not in use.I think it was filled emptied via a pipe over sink. this was used from late sixties right up til the early eighties when we bought her a automatic.cant think what make it was now, but a bit of a frightening thing to use,was that mangle. It looked similar to this example http://www.superstock.com/preview.asp?image=1895-38474&imagex=73&id=11288237&productType=3&pageStart=0&pageEnd=100&pixperpage=100&hitCount=147&filterForCat=&filterForFotog=

Tel

I remember a washing machine my mam had,it had a drum you loaded from top for washing,then a attachable mangle,which was driven by motor through the shaft it was placed in.

Tel

My mum had one made by English Electric. As well as the Servis model shown in your link Hotpoint made several models. For twin tubs let's not forget John Bloom's Rolls Rapide http://objectwiki.sc...ng_Machine.html

Dave

I have been totally knocked sideways by all the responses

I wonder if the makers of these kits are reading this and going to amend their kits accordingly?

I mean in addition to what is offered there are :-

the twin tubs I asked about

Spin driers Round and Square

Top loading washing machines with and without wringers

Fridges large and small

What a selection to make Hmmm. my copyright I think :mosking: :mosking:

• RMweb Gold

I managed to buy one of those round spin dryers for my Mother-in-law in 2006 to replace an old one. Admittedly not the sort of thing in the shop window. Top loaders and twin tubs lost favour in the UK as they were a nuisance under the worktops of fully fitted kitchens.

In the 60s other things you might see would be the teles with small screens and a bulky case. A radiogram again in a biggish unit often free standing with legs. The wind-up ones were rare by then.

Don

Archived