Collecters Club T9 LSWR '120'

LBSC123

Hornby have done 30119 the Royal T9 this is the one in lined Southern malachite green with British Railways on the tender and BR numbering also it has a BR smoke box door number and a star around the door handles.When it was last repainted in April/May 1948 it had the BR number painted on the left hand side of the front buffer beam,by at least August 1949 it had received its smoke box door number.It was withdrawn in December 1952 and cut up at Ashford works by July 1953.The LSWR 120 That Hornby do is the NRM's loco that presently resides on the Bodmin and Wenford Railway.This loco was repainted into this colour(LSWR green)in March 1962 from BR lined black livery and used on various specials it was withdrawn from service in July 1963.It never carried a BR smoke box door number when running in this condition.The Hornby adverts for this loco show it with a smoke box door number but the actual model is correct in not having one.The real 120 (30120)is undergoing overhaul at the present time,and when speaking to one of the team who was working on the tender at Bodmin last December he informed me that it will be returned to traffic in BR lined black livery.Most of the information has been obtained from Richard Derrys Irwell book of the T9s.

Beautiful model - and this is real nitpicking at its best here, but for colour the plastic wheel inserts simply don't look the part. This has been my pet hate of all modern Hornby models, it simply doesn't match the wheel colour to the body. The metal wheels found on the Bachmann models, which are then painted look much more realistic - the apple green Tornado model probably showing what I mean best, when placed alongside an apple green Flying Scotsman NRM model.

That aside, the model is absolutely gorgeous. Wouldn't stop me getting my wallet out to buy one (lack of cash does that on its own!)

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up on this loco; after trials in which it struggled to pull more than three of our coaches (heavy and kit-built - think old Horny Dublo for rolling resistance) we decided to have a go at weakening the bogie spring. Contrary to what others have found, the collar on the retaining pin was metal and came off without breaking. We removed the spring altogether and it's transformed the performance. It romps away with our longest trains (5 plus 'swingers') and doesn't seem to be breaking sweat. It's roadholding has suffered, though so we may have to find a way of weighting the bogie down.

Archived