Collecters Club T9 LSWR '120'

LBSC123

Hi all,

I wonderd where my T9 had got to so today I phoned Hornby up they said it would be arriving on 16th at the depot on the 16th and they will be posting them out after that! its now a race to the finish too see which arrives first CoT or 120.

I'll take some pictures when they arrive in case anyone wants to order one!.

Cheers.

Will

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived yesterday and is now winging its way back to Hornby.I phoned Hornby this morning and was advised by a very nice young lady to send it back.The paint work on the left hand cab side is damaged and part of the white lining at the front of the cab is missing.The young lady said some one else had phoned yesterday with a complaint about damaged paint work.The other thing that is wrong are the wheels on both the loco and the tender,they look like unpainted coloured plastic and it does not match the body colour.I have the Royal T9 and that is a little beauty,I hope that when the replacement arrives it is as good as 30119 and Hornby are not going to have a problem with this batch of locos.

The other thing that is wrong are the wheels on both the loco and the tender,they look like unpainted coloured plastic and it does not match the body colour.

Has anybody received a model where the wheel aren't unpainted plastic and do match the body colour?

I agree that the wheels aren't the same colour as the body (on both my models) and it is a shame, but if Hornby aren't prepared to rectify this I'd rather have a LSWR T9 that is slightly incorrect than no LSWR T9 at all. Besides that the wheels are likely to have been a slightly different colour due to weathering from brake dust etc and from a usual viewing angle whilst travelling at normal speeds it is barely noticeable anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Today my LSWR T9 has arrived. A great model it is! My example arrived in perfect condition. I have just plugged in the short coupler and did a test run. It pulled 6 Hornby Maunsell coaches (all I have at the moment) and a passenger brake van without fuss. Even on the small 490mm radius curves of my sons trainset the T9 pulled this train. The loco is smooth and silent straight out of the box. So Hornby seems to have sortet out the teething troubles of the T9. Now I am looking forward to the Imperial Airways trainpack for my 4th T9.

IMGP3915.jpg

A single table lamp is not the best light source to take such a photo so you have to take my word that the loco looks really nice in this livery.

Thomas

Ours for Corfe arrived n Monday as well and we gave it a run in on a simple loop. It does indeed run very smoothly and quietly straight from the box. We haven't tested its pulling capabilities yet as all the coaches are in store for the winter but I'm encouraged by what others are saying on here.

The wheels are a different colour to the body paintwork, but a light weathering will soon hide that.

• 1 month later...

Today my LSWR T9 has arrived. A great model it is! My example arrived in perfect condition. I have just plugged in the short coupler and did a test run. It pulled 6 Hornby Maunsell coaches (all I have at the moment) and a passenger brake van without fuss. Even on the small 490mm radius curves of my sons trainset the T9 pulled this train. The loco is smooth and silent straight out of the box. So Hornby seems to have sortet out the teething troubles of the T9. Now I am looking forward to the Imperial Airways trainpack for my 4th T9.

IMGP3915.jpg

A single table lamp is not the best light source to take such a photo so you have to take my word that the loco looks really nice in this livery.

Thomas

Hi

Is this the Hornby collectors T9, as it looks a totally different color to the one Hornby have on their web site, and your one dos not have the smoke box plate on it, unlike the one Hornby have on their site.

All the best

Darren

Very few T9s were rebuilt before Southern Railway days, but the last one in service was restored to LSWR livery in the early 1960s. Could it be a model of that one?

120 (the loco in question) didn't have the BR number plate when in LSWR livery either - at least, not in any of the photos I've seen - and the LSWR livery applied in the '60s would have been wrong for one of the few superheated T9s that were done by the LSW in any event. I noticed that the (mock-up?) in the advert does [have the plate], but haven't seen an actual model to compare it too.

Adam

Is this not the model of the Royal Train T9, which British Railways repainted into LSW colours in the 50s/60s ? If so, then of course it would have a smokebox numberplate.

No, that was 30119, and it was Bulleid Malachite. I think it has, or will shortly be, subject of a Hornby special edition. See the bottom of this page here: http://www.semgonline.com/steam/t9class_02.html

120, (the preserved one, which was painted in LSWR livery) certainly did not have a plate in that condition. See here:

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/t9class_03.html

Adam

Archived