LNWR Architecture

Mythocentric

I'm currently in the early stages of planning a new layout based on Bolton Great Moor Street and am seeking drawings, plans, etc of suitable station buildings, signal boxes, goods sheds and trackside structures. While I will shortly be visiting the archives at Bolton Library to view maps and photographs of the area I would be most grateful for any information you guys could provide in the meantime. All I've found so far is the LNWR signal box from London Road Models!

The following show up in our database:

Greater Manchester County Record Office A19/4/604 - Plan of strengthening of Bridge No.10 1936

Greater Manchester County Record Office A19/4/333 - 2 plans of bridge & additional siding accommodation for Bolton Leather Co. Ltd 1937

National Railway Museum BR/OPC Ref:20552 - Crook Street track plan, undated

Hope this helps

Andy

Guest stuartp

"LNWR Portrayed" by Jack Nelson (Peco) has details and drawings of LNWR structures, they were much more standardised than other companies so there may be information useful for an educated guess if the archives don't turn up trumps.

I'm currently in the early stages of planning a new layout based on Bolton Great Moor Street and am seeking drawings, plans, etc of suitable station buildings, signal boxes, goods sheds and trackside structures. While I will shortly be visiting the archives at Bolton Library to view maps and photographs of the area I would be most grateful for any information you guys could provide in the meantime. All I've found so far is the LNWR signal box from London Road Models!

The LNWR Society has drawings and photographs available at http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/, which may include something of use. An email to the Archivist/Librarian througn the site may produce some results.

If you are interested in the LNWR/LMS and the infrastructure the LNWR created, it is well worth joining the Society.

As Stuartp has said, LNWR Portrayed has a lot of information, but has been out of print for some time and although available s/h, isn't cheap anymore. WSP do LMS Lineside, Parts 1 and 2 which have lots of details of LMS constituent companies features such as lamps, signs, platform furniture, etc.

In addition to the type 4 signal box, kit (which can be used to create a variety of different size boxes), LRM also now produce etched canopy brackets to match the Grand Junction range of LNWR wooden station building components (available from Parkside Dundas).

Wizard Models do the MSE signal compoments including LNWR lower quadrant and ground signals. Ratio also do L/Q signal kits.

Southwark Bridge Models do barrows and station seats.

There are probably others.

Jol

I'm currently in the early stages of planning a new layout based on Bolton Great Moor Street

I see another respondent has mentioned Jack Nelson's book. This is my absolute bible, not only a wonderful source of information but also a work of art in its own right.

Have you also seen "Plodder Lane for Farnworth" by Bert Holland, published by Triangle? This has lots of data and photos of Great Moor Street and its associated lines, but no drawings, nevertheless, an inspiring book.

Ian

Trevor Booth wrote a series of books (published by Silver Link) which used his O gauge model based on Great Moor Street as an exemplar. The only one I can find to hand is Baseboard Basics and Making Tracks (1993) but even that has several photos that would be of use and the volume on structures is even more useful. I should get hold of these if you can.

Relevant Amazon link

Thank you everyone for your assistance. It was actually Trevor Booth's excellent books which inspired me to model Great Moor Street. I trawled the National Archives site last night and found the A19/4/333 and A19/4/604 plans but the NRM's BR/OPC Ref:20552 track plan is a must-have having worked, so far, from the few photographs I have found (5!). I have also discovered that Bolton Library Archives hold a large number of large-scale maps and photographs of the area and its surrounds and I will be visiting shortly. Incidentally, Bolton Library also hold two copies of Dennis Sweeney's A Lancashire Triangle - A History of the LNWR in and around the South Lancashire coalfields, which includes coverage of both Trinity Street and Great Moor Street. ISBN 0952933322. Control Number: 293782. Shelved at: 385.094276 which should be available via your local libraries on order. I think I may have some access to the LNWR Society via the HMRS so I'll check this avenue out first. Once again, many thanks to you all and hope to have some progress to report soon. I will. of course make any materials I aquire available to other users.

I think I may have some access to the LNWR Society via the HMRS so I'll check this avenue out first.

Just email the relevant LNWR Society officer through the Society's Webbsite. You'll find them very helpful.

Jol

Southwark Bridge Models do barrows and station seats.

There are probably others.

Jol

Thanks for that.

Churchward Kits (Modelex) do a LNWR (type 4) signal box kit

Geoff Taylor (GT Buildings) does window frames, station canopy brackets etc.

But can someone tell me who does the distinctive LNWR gents toilet vents in 4mm ??

• RMweb Premium

But can someone tell me who does the distinctive LNWR gents toilet vents in 4mm ??

Paul,

Freestone Model Accessories may still supply the plastic parts from the Prototype Models kit of Uppingham station building. This includes one of the LNWR style toilet vents.

Nothing as advanced as email or web site for contact but there is a phone number 01993 775979. They also turn up at shows but you won't know which ones because there's no website :no:

Hope this helps.

David

Paul,

Freestone Model Accessories may still supply the plastic parts from the Prototype Models kit of Uppingham station building. This includes one of the LNWR style toilet vents.

Nothing as advanced as email or web site for contact but there is a phone number 01993 775979. They also turn up at shows but you won't know which ones because there's no website :no:

Hope this helps.

David

They do have a web site and an email address - its http://www.freestonemodel.co.uk/ and jerryfreestone@live.co.uk

Good luck.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

They do have a web site and an email address - its http://www.freestonemodel.co.uk/ and jerryfreestone@live.co.uk

Good luck.

Ian

Thanks for that information, Ian. I googled Prototype Models which led me to the UK Model Shops site which didn't show a website for Freestone. Unfortunately I assumed . . . :blush_mini:

David

And very good they are too, I'm just building the roofs, and canopys (or is that canopies ??) for mine at the moment.

Any chance of more details please. I have a few packs of Parksides panels which I haven't touched because roof detail is something I cannot find info on. I'd love to see photos or drawings if possible

I'm working from a few sources,mainly Nelson's 'LNWR Portrayed', Wild Swan's 'LMS Lineside - 1', OPC's 'Pictorial Record Of LMS Architecture', and because the layout is based on GJR/LNWR area in the Black Country, a few books heavy on pics of that area. When I've got time I'll upload a few pics of 'work in progress - so far'.

Just out of curiosity, is there a supplier of the LNWR Webb signal frame with the characteristic levers?

Regards

I think Scale Signal Supply do a 7mm scale etched LNW frame. Might be worth checking to see if they do a 4mm version.

JF

• RMweb Gold

Just out of curiosity, is there a supplier of the LNWR Webb signal frame with the characteristic levers?

Regards

There is a difference between LNWR tumbler and tappet frames, if you model the actual box, an all timber, Type 3, you will need a tumbler frame. If (see answers above) you have to build/modify something you might as well make it correct.

Paul,

Nothing as advanced as email or web site for contact but there is a phone number 01993 775979. They also turn up at shows but you won't know which ones because there's no website

Gerry Freestone and his stand are going to be at the Basingstoke Show on 10th / 11th March 2012.

Thanks for the help guys, I rang Gerry, and hopefully he will be sending me one (card) which I can hopefully use as a 'pattern' to make others out of nickel silver.

I shalln't be going to Basingstoke as I will be off to Crufts at the NEC (Saturday) with the dogs.

Any chance of more details please. I have a few packs of Parksides panels which I haven't touched because roof detail is something I cannot find info on. I'd love to see photos or drawings if possible

You need a copy of Nelson's LNWR Portrayed. That has a good cross section drawing of a prefab building and roof as well as a front view. I have scanned copies of the drawings but I don't know if it's permissable to post them here for copyright reasons.

If you haven't already seen it, you'll find a photo of a model built from the GJ panels here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/32155-lnwr-1880-sectional-buildings/

Jol

Archived