Black 5s.

westonp

Hi,

Apologies if I am asking this question in the wrong section, but can anyone tell me if any Black 5s carried the short lived "BRITISH RAILWAYS" logo on the tender? If so, were these locos lined or not?

Any photographs would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul.

A brows through Irwell's 'The Book of the Black Five 5000-5074' show several engines: M5018, 45005, 45022 and 45047. All appear to be unlined, although this could just be dirt masking the lining, although 5022 has a lined tender. There would of course be many others outside this number series.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n156/LMS2968/5022.jpg

LMS Locmotive profiles No 5 and 6 (Wild Swan) deal with the Back fives. They list 70+locos with and without lining on the tender with different sizes and styles of lettering and front numberplates. Both LMS 1946 style and BR style numbers on the loco were used with either 8" or 10" lettering on the tenders. Some of the later batches were turned out new with this livery.

BRILL did a 2-part article on Black 5s shedded at Perth in January and February 2006, with lots of pictures in both parts. The January part has several pictures of locos with 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' on tenders. 44699 and 45389 are definitely unlined. 45469 appears to be unlined under the dirt. 44801 and 44978 are lined (engine and tender) .

There are also a couple of oddities. 44796 has no lettering or emblem at all on the tender, and no lining on the tender or the cabside and footplate. (There may be lining on the boilerbands, or it may just be the raised bands showing up in the photo.) And 44720 is shown in service, fully lined out, but with no lettering or emblem on the tender (driver's side shown).

Archived