Strapping Loads

post-7117-0-63664500-1330804387.jpg

Just added this Exactrail car to my fleet. Like all Exactrail cars it's a beauty. The HVAC unit is from Walthers. My question is this. How would a load like this be strapped down to a car like this? Any one any ideas? ...

My TWO questions are...

Shades of Monty Python here.

No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition...

Ian

Just a guess, really, but I suspect the four top corner 'lugs' should have holes in them, both for lifting by crane, and securing as a load both for rail & road. These days "Spanset"-type ratchets & straps would probably be most likely used, from each top corner to the deck, possibly also being crossed over from one side to the other; i.e. looking like an 'X' across each end of the load, from each top corner to the opposite-side deck. This would prevent side-ways shifting of the load as well as fore-&-aft.

For even more security, big wooden chocks (railroad ties would do!!) might be strapped down across the deck at either end of the load, to further prevent fore-&-aft movement.

Put it this way... that's how I'd do it... :scratchhead:

post-7117-0-63664500-1330804387.jpg

Just added this Exactrail car to my fleet. Like all Exactrail cars it's a beauty. The HVAC unit is from Walthers. My question is this. How would a load like this be strapped down to a car like this? Any one any ideas? ...

Since its neither heavy nor tall I would load it on a conventional flatcar and use wood blocking nailed to the floor to secure the legs, then, as previously said, I would put diagonal bracing to the stake pockets on either end of the load.

I dunno but I can tell you back in the 'early 80's that Capitol Records were expecting a Compact Disc Injection molder from Toshiba (their first) and Burlington Northern managed to drop it off their car shortly before they delivered it to Jacksonville, Illinois - $250k worth. Unfortunately I never saw any photos......

Best, Pete.

Archived