Turn out kit advise needed

jhock

I have a C and L timber tracks kit for P4, the kit has preformed v and blades etc. if I wanted to build the kit to 00 rather than P4 would that be possible?

I have used P4 track company kits for P4 but want to use the C and L for another little project I have in mind.

Yes it can be done.

Build using a 00 template and gauges.

IIRC 00 generally use shorter than scale length sleepers to reduce the narrow gauge appearance.

Will the rail in the kit match the rest of the rail in your little project?

Gordon A

Bristol.

Yes it can be done.

Build using a 00 template and gauges.

IIRC 00 generally use shorter than scale length sleepers to reduce the narrow gauge appearance.

Will the rail in the kit match the rest of the rail in your little project?

Gordon A

Bristol.

Hi Gordon,

thank you for the advise, the rail I have boutght is C and L code 75 bullhead so should match the rail in the timber tracks kit. I will have to pack the sleepers as the plastic sleepers for the straight track are deeper than the timber tracks.

James

The advice you have received is OK except I would advise you to check the crossing in the kit. If it is P4 then the flangeway will be to P4 standards. You need to modify that to 00 standard or buy a 00 crossing.

Not only will you have to alter the gaps in the wing rails, but I think you may need to either re-bend / replace the wing rails, as the bend is in a slightly place in 00 gauge. Or have (very) slightly shorter wing rails along side the V (better option as poss about 1mm out and saves bending etc) as the bend is a bit further back into the turnout

The sleepers are shorter in 00, but it is just a case of moving everything along the plan a bit

I bought a Timber tracks P4 kit and the common crossing supplied was a OO one in error. Pete at C&L sent a new P4 version out by the next post.

So if you want to build a OO turnout from a P4 kit, you'll need to get a OO common crossing and a new OO timber tracks template.

All the other items are equally suited to OO or P4 (chairs, rail, tie bars etc.)

Archived