Photographs of modern (post-2000) British signals

I never thought such a simple request on the internet could be so difficult!

Originally I was going to have a three-head red/green set-up on my three-way point, but as it is/was never a prototypical installation, I've given up on that idea and now I am installing more accurate signals (because I have the time, though not the money, sadly!).

Although primarily my layout is a (yet another) model of a TMD, there are two (very short) sidings and a single platform terminus complete with highly detailed modern station, i.e. with hardly anything to be seen at all except platform lights, a fence behind, a bus-shelter type 'waiting room' for about four people (sorry, I should have said 'customers'!), an overhead electric display of forthcoming trains, and a ticket machine. That's it these days! No staff, of course!

However, being that my station is a terminus, it HAS to have a starter signal, so I have installed a red/amber/green electric starter signal at the end of the platform. The logic to work this signal took ages to design, but it all works very well.

Now I'm getting to the nitty-gritty.

My signals are made by Traintronics of Bournemouth (and purchased through Express Models), and very nice they are too. In the kits (if you can call them that), is a small printed sheet of signal reporting numbers plus some white diamonds and white/black/white stripes (don't know what for!), and some tiny (about 1.5mm) shaded squares. Again I have no idea what they are for. Traintronics show where to place the reporting number, and the post has a molded 'telephone' low down on it, but there is no information as to the white diamond, the stripes or the little shaded squares signify.

I thought I'd look on the internet - fat chance! I can find millions of photos of signal boxes, mechanical signals, interiors of signal boxes, etc, etc., but NO full length photographs of modern signals so that I would have some idea of what/where to place the above described details.

Can anyone suggest or show me some photographs which might show these details, please?

I would be very grateful if you could because I've spent hours searching the internet for relevant photos, and so far only found one photo of a signal head, and one photo which shows two signal heads (no posts are distinguishable). There are several photos of the rear of signal installations, but not 'front' views. Doesn't anyone take photographs of signals these days?

All the very best,

Bill

I just KNEW the gentlemen on this forum would come up with the goods! Now I see that the little half-shaded square is applied to the top half of the telephone box (does anyone know what it signifies?), and I especially like the pair of starter signals at Penzance station - it's somewhere I've spent a lot of time at (of course, I didn't take any photos of the signals!

I notice that the white diamond is not on ANY of the signal posts - can it be that this is an obsolete bit of signalling history? At least I now know what the diamond signifies. Someone had told me many, many years ago but I'd forgotten over the intervening 50 years or so.

Anyway, lads, thank you very much! I'm especially grateful to Mickey for his photographs, and to The Stationmaster for the page all about railway signs and their significance. I'll have to study that more closely! At least my starter signal looks prototypical and fairly up to date!

All the very best,

Bill

Here's another modern signal - Stirling station platform 6 down starter (used by trains to Alloa). This was installed in late 2007/early 2008. No telephone evident though, even though the signal is controlled from a panel in Stirling Middle box, well out of sight at the other end of the station. Presumably there is a phone somewhere out of view. (The box visible through the bridge is Stirling North and controls the Perth lines only).

post-7032-0-91941600-1330935886_thumb.jpg

cheers

Graham

Here's a selection of starting signals at Penzance.

See also this Dorman head, with a co-acting close-quarters head hanging underneath

Same signal, different angle

And another view here

I seem to recall there were at least three co-acting mini-heads at Penzance before the Dorman LED resignalling was installed.

CORRECTION: there was only the one. Have just checked a National Rail / Dorman presentation which covered the subject.

Archived